Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Green light but inverter no worky?

Max-Felix

Max-Felix

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Any ideas please? I have the correct adaptor and plugging it in brings on the green light of hope. But then plugging in a three pin UK item - tired an ipad to USB, a docker and a electric toothbrush but none seem to be getting any juice?

Any ideas please? I have the correct adaptor and plugging it in brings on the green light of hope. But then plugging in a three pin UK item - tired an ipad to USB, a docker and a electric toothbrush but none seem to be getting any juice?
Due to the Inverter waveform some items, such as chargers won't work. Have you tried a simple table lamp?

Bu££er. That just about rules out all the things I would use it for. Will try a lamp tomorrow and report back. Cheers WG. ;)

Bu££er. That just about rules out all the things I would use it for. Will try a lamp tomorrow and report back. Cheers WG. ;)
More efficient to use a 12v Charger if possible. 12v - 240v - 12v not very efficient.

Plenty available for iPad/iPhone and other phones etc:.

Mine charges i pad ok. I use adapter made of lead and three pin socket then use Apple usb charger .

When my 2012 SE inverter failed I still got the green light of hope. I recal mine was under the fridge somewhere rather than in the opening by the 2nd battery so I couldn't be bothered to fix it and just bought a cheapo inverter off the bay for those odd things that needed it.

When my 2012 SE inverter failed I still got the green light of hope. I recal mine was under the fridge somewhere rather than in the opening by the 2nd battery so I couldn't be bothered to fix it and just bought a cheapo inverter off the bay for those odd things that needed it.
I'm not sure what you were looking at but the Inverter is positioned behind the socket in the base of the B pillar.
It is NOT positioned below the fridge or by the 2nd Leisure Battery - That is the Mains-12v charger for the Leisure Batteries .
Nos 23 on the Diagram.
Screen Shot 2017-07-15 at 08.32.06.jpg

Mine charges i pad ok. I use adapter made of lead and three pin socket then use Apple usb charger .
That's interesting. Cannot find any mention of an Inverter / Socket in the base of the Passenger side B pilar on the 2008 model and previous but is mentioned for the 2009 and onwards as shown in the above diagram.
Have you got a photo?

2008 Model.

Screen Shot 2017-07-15 at 08.48.16.jpg

That's interesting. Cannot find any mention of an Inverter / Socket in the base of the Passenger side B pilar on the 2008 model and previous but is mentioned for the 2009 and onwards as shown in the above diagram.

Mine is March 2008 one of the first to have inverter in b pillar .ihave had it from brand new so original factory fit .

Last edited:
Yes, mine has charged everything I've tried: an Apple iPad, the Bose Soundlink speaker, and my Nikon camera battery charger. It also worked with my laptop. So I suspect it's busted.

Last edited:
Yours must be a 2009 MY build, registered in 2008. The Model Year normally changes the previous Mid-Year.

Yours must be a 2009 MY build, registered in 2008. The Model Year normally changes the previous Mid-Year.
No ordered in October 2007 delivered Feb 08 picked up 1st March 2008.

No ordered in October 2007 delivered Feb 08 picked up 1st March 2008.
Well VW's Parts Catalogue has got it wrong then. Interesting.

@WelshGas or anyone who knows :) - do you know if there is any fuse or similar in the inverter or main loom that would mean I get the green light but still no power? No mention in my handbook (late 2008 reg)

@WelshGas or anyone who knows :) - do you know if there is any fuse or similar in the inverter or main loom that would mean I get the green light but still no power? No mention in my handbook (late 2008 reg)
This is all I can find.
Fuse Box under L hand seat.
IMG_0371.jpg

FWIW just prior to my inverter failing for good (green light still dead) it did blow the inverter fuse positioned under the seat as per WGs post above. (obviously no light showing at all at that point).

I think you'll need to dig it out it to give yourself any chance of a fix. (pic courtesy of a previous WG posting).

IMG_0360.JPG

For a man with your skills Max, why not fit another inverter under the drivers seat and stick some sockets in the back seat plastics. Just Kampers sell these covers for cheap if you're not so keen on butchering your genuine article.
Way more practical in use and considerably cheaper than any VW inverter part I'm sure.

user27420_pic24540_1306181229.jpg

If the light is working then the fuse is okay. Plugging in operates a switch that turns it on, so as long as the pins on the plug are making contact it should be working. Have you tested it with a multimeter?

After I fixed mine back in situ plugged in a 2 pin to uk socket green light on but no power to uk socket.pushed 2 pin plug a bit harder and worked !

I haven't to be honest. I think I'll have to bow out though (and go Amazon) as running out of time to start pulling it out and exploring further. All I want to do is brush my teeth electrically, ;)

I haven't to be honest. I think I'll have to bow out though (and go Amazon) as running out of time to start pulling it out and exploring further. All I want to do is brush my teeth electrically, ;)
What is wrong with good ole camper toothbrush for a couple of weeks? Im sure your teeth won't fall out ;)

Back