Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Grey waste tank sensor

M

MurrayR

Our 07 Cali has a fault with the grey water tank level sensor. The indicator shows one bar even though the tank is full to overflowing. Can the sensor be repaired or does it require replacement? :thanks

Sensor is a two min job to replace an dis not user serviceable.

tbh it usually shows nothing or full in my experience. I'll dig or the part number later - assuming you are out of warranty where are you - I have a spare you can test with to save the 30 quid.

Seb

Hi, thanks for your quick reply. I am in Christchurch New Zealand . Can you take a picture of the sensor for me?

If I may jump in on this one.

We have the same problem and are getting it replaced under the warranty. The thing that concerns me is that we've been told by the dealer that, even though you can see the sensor, you have to remove the tank (whole kitchen) to replace the sensor.

I worry that once that lot comes out, it's never going back the same again

Cheers guys.

I just had a look myself. Took the cover from the front of the tank and tried the sensor by hand. I now know that it's just a simple float type switch that shows either full or empty. Mine does work just wish the dealer had tried and told me it's not graduated like the clean water.

Once again thanks for the quick answers.

I too have found that the sensor only indicates that the grey water level is close to the top of the tank. That is why I posted this subject. Thanks for all your assistance with this topic. I cleaned the float and checked that it was free to operate and reinstalled it. Now it works fine. :barmy :thanks

Wow - I have exactly the same problem! Our 2011 Cali had the same thing from new. I checked the sensor which incidentally has v.short travel so couldn't see that it could do anything other than indicate empty or full.
In the owners manual it clearly shows the waste indicator with three bars which indicate a graduated level however mine only ever indicated either totally full or totally empty - so is this functioning correctly? Or should it be graduated as per the fresh water tank.
The dealer will be replacing the control panel although this is for a different reason. Can anyone then definitely confirm the correct operation?

Thanks, obviously my dealer doesn't understand the vehicle?... they have replaced the sensor for starters.
J

I searched for a thread referring to the sensor of the grey water tank and this thread came up.

We have a 3 month old Ocean and the grey water gauge is not showing anything but empty :) Are the same sensors still being used in 2018 and is this still the way it should be, unless the tank is almost full ? We obviously haven't reached the 'almost full' level as yet, always emptying before it reaches that point. The fresh water gauge is showing its 3 levels.

I asked the dealer to look at mine when I took it in for a service. They too told me it was just a "full" indicator so it's a bit of a waste of time. It would be much better if it had a light or something more obvious to show that it was full.

I've noticed the same and thought it was a fault - three days of washing up water and no bars on the waste tank indicator.

An indicator lamp near the sink and water tap that came on when the tank was nearly full would be more useful.

With the existing system and no advance warning, if you are busy running the tap and not looking at the control panel, it could easily overflow (where would the water go???).

I am going to put one or two lots of 15 litres into the water tank at a time with a jerry can in future, so I know when the waste tank is likely to be full.

Last edited:
The sensors are known to be never giving the correct indication.
Empty it when you can/ feel like it
Thesame with the fresh watertank , do not always go out on the icon on the controlpanel but use common sense.

I've noticed the same and thought it was fault - three days of washing up water and no bars on the waste tank indicator.

An indicator lamp near the sink and water tap that came on when the tank was nearly full would be more useful.

With the existing system and no advance warning, if you are busy running the tap and not looking at the control panel, it could easily overflow (where would the water go???).

I am going to put one or two lots of 15 litres into the water tank at a time with a jerry can in future, so I know when the waste tank is likely to be full.
The waste tank has an Air vent that acts as an overflow if the tank fill to maximum. So you don't really need any further indication. Once full , if not emptied, it will just overflow.

See Parts 12,7 etc:

Screen Shot 2018-09-11 at 10.01.27.jpg

In our T5.1 the sensor had 3 bars showing how full it was. Our T6 only shows full or not full - no bars, no level indicator … as described in the manual.

Hi all. The Grey water tank is not registering as full on central control unit on our 2019 Ocean, has anyone else experienced similar?

I also couldn’t unscrew the fresh water tank (inside the cupboard) seems like it may have been overtightened at the factory; any tips on how I can get it off?

Hi all. The Grey water tank is not registering as full on central control unit on our 2019 Ocean, has anyone else experienced similar?

I also couldn’t unscrew the fresh water tank (inside the cupboard) seems like it may have been overtightened at the factory; any tips on how I can get it off?
Basically the Waste Water Indicator shows Full or Empty, nothing in between.
How do you know it is full.

Waste Water tank Cap/Hatch needs to be tight.
You need a special tool to get it off.

28CC0C0D-83D2-451F-BAB2-F2ED2E79339B.jpeg

Or make your own. Also available from Forum Shop.

The waste tank has an Air vent that acts as an overflow if the tank fill to maximum. So you don't really need any further indication. Once full , if not emptied, it will just overflow.

See Parts 12,7 etc:

View attachment 37783
According to this drawing what is the water
sensor ?

Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk

According to this drawing what is the water
sensor ?

So I be more specific looking for the waste water sensor on a t5 2007. Cheers

Found it... What do you think does that little crack suggest i Need to change It because the tank is empty but shows one line full?
eea550e9ee09bcea5edae5edcff12a8b.jpg
da0f50b478e8c818b0da435f19da0549.jpg

Back