Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Grinding noise coming from front left area when driving

M

Matthew Ringer

Matt
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hello, I have a 2010 T5 Cali, 28k, and I have recently started hearing a grinding noise which sounds like it is in the front left area of the van. The sound is intermittent, seems to start once the van has warmed up. Doesn;t seem to be linked to steering or acceleration in any noticeable way.

has anyone else experienced anything similar?

Hello, I have a 2010 T5 Cali, 28k, and I have recently started hearing a grinding noise which sounds like it is in the front left area of the van. The sound is intermittent, seems to start once the van has warmed up. Doesn;t seem to be linked to steering or acceleration in any noticeable way.

has anyone else experienced anything similar?
Brake pads binding or a stone between pad and disc?

If the pads are binding due to a sticky cylinder it is more noticeable when warm. Try a walk round the van after a good run and have a feel of the wheels. If the pads are sticking it heats up the wheel a lot more than the other side and you will get a ticking noise when cooling. Don't rely on the brake warning light for pad wear alert either. If it's a wheel bearing you will hear the note change going around corners and roundabouts as the weight transfer alters on the bearing.

If it’s a grinding noise it’s unlikely to be the pads sticking..but all options need to be considered..it’s more like metal to metal. you will need to get at look at both sides of the disc. How long have you owned the van? Do you know if it’s had new discs/pads in its life. 11 years seems a long time without any replacements. It’s not unusual for one pad to completely wear down to the metal and the other still have plenty of meat.

It’s not the flywheel is it? I had this on a Golf years ago and it took the garage ages to work it out.

Have you checked that the underside plastic cowls have not worked loose and are rubbing the ground.

For some reason, the front left side cowl immediately after the mudflap may work loose if you have travelled through deep'ish water.

If so, then we hear a bad rubbing/grinding noise similar to what you describe.

I now carry a couple of bungee cords in case it happens again....I simply strap the cowl up until I return home and can replace any missing fastenings.

Thanks for your comments, will get all these things checked out.

Our suspension arm was replaced and started to make a grind noise. In the end it was replaced again, which stopped it - turned out to be a dodgy part. Never happened since.

Back