Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Grippy but not too grippy tyre tread

F

flyingmm

I have standard issue Cali wheels but was looking to try and find a tread that will offer more grip than the standard tyres without blowing the mpg too much. As soon as I’m in a boggy field there is next to no grip with the current tyres that I’ve attached a pic of.

thanks for any tips!

2983CD0F-4F4A-40CC-BA7E-250360C4E21A.jpeg

Hello,

I got rid of the original tires after not even 10,000 km for the same reason as you mentioned.

I got 4x Michelin CrossClimate+. I use them since over 3x years and 40,000 km. There is still around 3.9mm tread on each tyre left.

The CrossClimate have improved the grip on grass and mud and in general on bad small back country roads.

Diesel consumption has not increased, as far as I know. For example I took a picture of the dash this week after I filled up the van with diesel. For a California with a 70 L tank not bad (I know the 1010km is an estimate, but it shows the descent consumption of the camper in general).

1622400088242.png

If the tyres need to be replaced I will replace them with Michelin CrossClimate SUV.

Happy tyre California,
Eberhard

I have standard issue Cali wheels but was looking to try and find a tread that will offer more grip than the standard tyres without blowing the mpg too much. As soon as I’m in a boggy field there is next to no grip with the current tyres that I’ve attached a pic of.

thanks for any tips!

View attachment 79299
If you want a general, all year round tyre then look at All Season type tyres.
I‘ve used Goodyear Cargo Vector or Michelin CrossClimate SUV over almost 100,000 miles. Both have been excellent on grip in all U.K. weather conditions on various surfaces and have both worn very well on my 4Motion.
Road noise equivalent between both types of tyre.
The only difference was a small drop in mpg with the Goodyear( 1mpg ) compared with the original tyres and Michelin.

Thanks both, just found an interesting review comparing similar tyres. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Michelin, Contis and Goodyear’s seem to be the way to go.

Thanks both, I ended up going for the Michelins although don’t think they are the SUV version, but not sure what difference that makes? Not a lot of difference on the mpg front but clearly oodles more tread and hopefully grip off road. Really appreciate the advice.
Andy

D04E52F9-575C-4A0E-9CAB-B6307CB60D3D.jpeg

Agilis crossclimate, that's the commercial tyre rather than the plus or SUV. Arguably the correct tyre for the vehicle though.

Can you give an idea of cost and where you got them from please?

Agilis crossclimate, that's the commercial tyre rather than the plus or SUV. Arguably the correct tyre for the vehicle though.

Can you give an idea of cost and where you got them from please?
Hi Steve

here is a good starting point Agilis £165 per delivered

the SUV is / was on offer at £122 per delivered, they have regular flash sales and deals

it is a useful site to bench Mark local suppliers