Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Grump of the Peak District

P

Paul Roe

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
just been told that the camp site in Cornwall that i was supposed to be going to from the 4th is now staying shut until 31st july
so really grumpy now been booked for ages
:sad

You have my sympathy, unfortunately it won't change matters.:(

You have my sympathy, unfortunately it won't change matters.:(
just spoke to robin hoods bay and they are taking pencil bookings
but told me that they have been advised NOT to open by the local authority
yet on the caravan club site it says

In line with the latest UK Government guidance, we are very pleased to share with you our intention to open the majority of our campsites from 4 July in England and 15 July in Scotland. At the moment this applies to our sites in England and Scotland only.

The timescales for reopening our Club sites in Wales will be published once we have guidance from their administrations. At this moment we are not able to open all of our Club sites, however, we will constantly review whether we are able to open any more campsites in the future

so i have booked a couple of nights with them

It could be worse, you're in the Peak District!

We'd love to get up there in the van at some point this year.

The word *intention* rather open to interpretation

we have just found out that the children’s summer camps have been cancelled despite *intention* to open — two working parents and child care cancelled for 2 months ☹️

It could be worse, you're in the Peak District!

We'd love to get up there in the van at some point this year.
Well some caravans have turned up at various car parks around bakewell !
but it turns out they are a bunch of "Travellers" that have been evicted from bakewell show ground
yes i am lucky to live, 10 mins from chatsworth, park and gardens now open on times ticket
and they have loo's and catering vans in action as well
my personal favorite is to park up near the Barrel at Bretton (do a street view from it, stunning)
went to Crosby the other day, liverpool is pretending that nothing has happened, was business as usual.

just been told that the camp site in Cornwall that i was supposed to be going to from the 4th is now staying shut until 31st july
so really grumpy now been booked for ages
:sad
Which area was the campsite in, like roughly.

Although some may be open would you want to be there
when the infrastructure isn't fully up and running.
Or do you think it would be okay?

And don't forget about the kernow massive who will flatten your
tyres, as was said by Victor recently.

Which area was the campsite in, like roughly.

Although some may be open would you want to be there
when the infrastructure isn't fully up and running.
Or do you think it would be okay?

And don't forget about the kernow massive who will flatten your
tyres, as was said by Victor recently.
mother iveys bay near padstow
funny that some holiday cottage sites are up and running and others are not

and wales has given a date of the 26th of September !

Well some caravans have turned up at various car parks around bakewell !
but it turns out they are a bunch of "Travellers" that have been evicted from bakewell show ground
yes i am lucky to live, 10 mins from chatsworth, park and gardens now open on times ticket
and they have loo's and catering vans in action as well
my personal favorite is to park up near the Barrel at Bretton (do a street view from it, stunning)
went to Crosby the other day, liverpool is pretending that nothing has happened, was business as usual.

We went to the barrel last summer, it’s an amazing spot. My wife’s late father used to do a stint looking after the Youth Hostel near there.

mother iveys bay near padstow
funny that some holiday cottage sites are up and running and others are not
We have booked Mother Ivey's for mid-August. Not sure we fancy Cornwall this summer after all. More likely to pop over to France & Switzerland now, seems more chilled than Blighty.

so the van has been at jct for around 3 weeks now
we are due to go away at the weekend
and they wont let us have it back because VW have told them to change something more than just the regulator and they can get the part. so they have said the van is not safe so we cant give it you back.
so i suggested they give us a free one and VW said they could give me a car !!!
apparently they dont have to give me like for like as a courtesy vehicle
so getting really grumpy now, jct are trying to get VW to give me a california but will still then have to go to sheffield to get the potty, wellies etc out of it

what is a bit odd if VW are saying that something more than just the gas regulator then why are they not doing a recall ???

Paul. Who have you been speaking to at Sheffield?
The warranty manager there is James Hainsworth who has been brillliant in helping us with roof corrosion problems. Perhaps give him a try.
Sounds odd though, they have basically kidnapped your van. Would they release it if you sign to say you won't use the cooker?

Paul. Who have you been speaking to at Sheffield?
The warranty manager there is James Hainsworth who has been brillliant in helping us with roof corrosion problems. Perhaps give him a try.
Sounds odd though, they have basically kidnapped your van. Would they release it if you sign to say you won't use the cooker?
a chap call Tim, to be honest they are usually very good and the engine has been like a new engine since they have serviced it.
They have chased VW and will come back tomorrow with an idea, however i did suggest that we have it and not use the gas, this would be my preferred option as if they deliver a replacement i will have drive from bakewell to sheffield to get the rest of the stuff out of our van.

there is still other stuff outstanding but not impressed with VW i paid over 70k and so far
tap falling off
EGR valve failure
drivers seat catching on bolt when rotated
wardrobe door falling to bits
sliding door catching rear wing
rear wind needing a respray
rear nearside light cluster filling with water
sliding door window leaking
water tank gauge not working
gas regulator not working
battery going flat
alloy wheel corroding
trim falling off drivers B pillar so door blind cant be pulled down
only done 18,000 miles

a chap call Tim, to be honest they are usually very good and the engine has been like a new engine since they have serviced it.
They have chased VW and will come back tomorrow with an idea, however i did suggest that we have it and not use the gas, this would be my preferred option as if they deliver a replacement i will have drive from bakewell to sheffield to get the rest of the stuff out of our van.

there is still other stuff outstanding but not impressed with VW i paid over 70k and so far
tap falling off
EGR valve failure
battery going flat
alloy wheel corroding
only done 18,000 miles

I'm not surprised you are unhappy. That's quite a list. I feel for you :(

tap falling off
EGR valve failure
battery going flat
alloy wheel corroding
only done 18,000 miles
That does sound frustrating. I have come to the conclusion that I love my van, but the sad thing is that Volkswagen obviously doesn’t. They’ve taken a great idea with a decades long loyalty of owners, and manufactured it to the lowest commmon denominator they can get away with. When I was in my teens and taking apart VW motors, the simplicity and quality showed pride in manufacturing that made owners wink and wave at each other. I believe the same will continue to happen with these vans, but no thanks to VW. The idea is so good that quality 3rd party manufactures will supply replacement parts with a pride in design and manufacture that these days VW can’t be bothered with. For the Nth time the trim has popped off the sliding window on this 6 week trip to the Alps. I don’t bother putting it back on. The first time it happened I took a look at the solution some VW engineer had designed to hold it on, and felt sorry for him. He probably knows already that someone with higher standards than him will make a replacement part for people like me who will keep using our vans for years.

That does sound frustrating. I have come to the conclusion that I love my van, but the sad thing is that Volkswagen obviously doesn’t. They’ve taken a great idea with a decades long loyalty of owners, and manufactured it to the lowest commmon denominator they can get away with. When I was in my teens and taking apart VW motors, the simplicity and quality showed pride in manufacturing that made owners wink and wave at each other. I believe the same will continue to happen with these vans, but no thanks to VW. The idea is so good that quality 3rd party manufactures will supply replacement parts with a pride in design and manufacture that these days VW can’t be bothered with. For the Nth time the trim has popped off the sliding window on this 6 week trip to the Alps. I don’t bother putting it back on. The first time it happened I took a look at the solution some VW engineer had designed to hold it on, and felt sorry for him. He probably knows already that someone with higher standards than him will make a replacement part for people like me who will keep using our vans for years.
glad to know it's not just my trim that falls off !

Back