Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Handed Awnings - e.g. Vango Cove

Jimmmy

Jimmmy

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Hi there, looking for some advice please !!

Interested in a front facing drive away awning and have been studying Vango Cove II Air.
In all the pictures it shows sliding door on passenger side.
Our door is on drivers side. So, do some companies offer awnings that are handed, or are they somehow reversible in order to address this ?

I would be interested to know what other people have found.

Thanks,

Jim

Check out the Outwell Jonesville 290a or 440a - they can be setup for either hand or standalone as they have a removable/reconfigurable link section.

I've not bought one but I'm currently looking at the Outdoor Revolution Cayman Combo Air. Can be used either side and it seems you can also add a porch/door to either end to create a second room.

I've not bought one but I'm currently looking at the Outdoor Revolution Cayman Combo Air. Can be used either side and it seems you can also add a porch/door to either end to create a second room.

That's interesting, looks like it's symmetrical "front to back" which gets around the issue.

That's interesting, looks like it's symmetrical "front to back" which gets around the issue.
That what we thought. We don't need a massive awning, but there's the option of adding the additional room if we want and you can get a bedroom inner etc.

That what we thought. We don't need a massive awning, but there's the option of adding the additional room if we want and you can get a bedroom inner etc.
Yes that's right. It takes some time studying all these different types. I have already spent ages rooting through websites. We just want something light, compact but well made so it lasts for a few years

Hi there, looking for some advice please !!

Interested in a front facing drive away awning and have been studying Vango Cove II Air.
In all the pictures it shows sliding door on passenger side.
Our door is on drivers side. So, do some companies offer awnings that are handed, or are they somehow reversible in order to address this ?

I would be interested to know what other people have found.

Thanks,

Jim
I like the look of the Vango Cove II (looking at going back to poles after the Outwell Freeway sprang a leak and the Outwell repairs department seem reluctant to sell a replacement that they said was available). What's the problem with the porch facing 'backwards', out of interest? There's no technical issue according to Herne Bay's WM Camping staff.

A few people have mentioned getting leaks with the air awnings, are the pole systems seen as more reliable ?

A few people have mentioned getting leaks with the air awnings, are the pole systems seen as more reliable ?
Personally I’d say yes and I don’t think air poles are particularly quicker/easier for a relatively small awning.
I’m sure someone will be along shortly with an opposing view :)

Regarding the cove, if the van was drove forward onto pitch, could the cove not be set up facing rear of van?

Morning, we have the Cayman and it is HUGE with the extra porches. Plenty of storage room and useful to put the portaloo in. Leaves the main section nice and clear for lounging about. However we have found that on a couple of pitches we have stayed on it was too big and fully filled (and some) our allocated area. Fortunately the site wardens were lenient with us (obviously not CAMC sites)

Morning, we have the Cayman and it is HUGE with the extra porches. Plenty of storage room and useful to put the portaloo in. Leaves the main section nice and clear for lounging about. However we have found that on a couple of pitches we have stayed on it was too big and fully filled (and some) our allocated area. Fortunately the site wardens were lenient with us (obviously not CAMC sites)
We have been looking at the cayman combo .I would be interested In your review of it .Have you been aboard with it or Just this country. Did you purchased both porch doors.? We have a small vango awing but are travelling to Europe for 2 months and thought we would treat ourselves to a new one .Also have you got the polyester or poly cotton one ?
sorry for all the questions .

We have been looking at the cayman combo .I would be interested In your review of it .Have you been aboard with it or Just this country. Did you purchased both porch doors.? We have a small vango awing but are travelling to Europe for 2 months and thought we would treat ourselves to a new one .Also have you got the polyester or poly cotton one ?
sorry for all the questions .
No problem. We have the polyester one and both porches. We also have the groundsheet for one of the porches, this is a bonus, but a bit of a faff to fit. When inflating it make sure you fully inflate the poles otherwise it can wobble and sit lopsided. We have only used it in this country, two of us and two dogs. Loads of room, we tend to use the rear porch to house the potti, all the bags and general camping bits and bobs, kitchen table and anything else. We also use it to hang damp towels etc in. I believe that there may be a sleeping pod you can buy for the porch as well. The main area easily accommodates our large chairs and the dining table from the van. It is light and airy. As I previously stated it can easily fill the pitch. It generally takes us about 20 minutes to fully erect. Size wise when folded up it is more than manageable and easily fits in the boot. It has been used in high winds and heavy rain and stood up well to both.

Back