Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Handover Checklist - T6

Spare Wheel
Removable Tow Bar if ordered
Torch
Fire Blanket ?

Ta!

Mike

After a few threads recently, checking it has the right engine seems a good idea haha ;)

Wheel valve dust covers? (I know this is real detail but detail is important for me as it shows thoroughness - which I like :D)

After a few threads recently, checking it has the right engine seems a good idea haha ;)
Hmm... seems a basic but non the less a good point. What about just checking all ordered options are present and correct! :thumb

Hmm... seems a basic but non the less a good point. What about just checking all ordered options are present and correct! :thumb
Checking paintwork and body are not damaged - scratches/dings etc. - this is notoriously difficult if your new car is standing outside in the rain!

One the Treg site we have a handover procedure that could be added/adapted?

General:
1. Arrive early and get yourself a coffee and chill - take someone else with you to use as a second pair of eyes
2. After the meet/greet with the sales person, have a general look over the exterior of the car - stand back and look from all angles
3. Ensure that all options are present - it's not unknown for an option to have been missed off the build
4. Ask to look over the car on your own for 10 - 15 minutes - examine every panel and panel gaps carefully, paying particular attention to the build quality, paint quality and alloy wheels - look out for damage, scratches and swirls caused during the PDI/valeting, particularly on dark colours - if the car is indoors make sure you view it from all angles and if you can't, get it moved outside, particularly if the sun is shining as this will show up preparation defects. Carefully look along the lines of the car any damage/panel distortion (see below)
5. Check to ensure any extras or freebies are included (rubber mats/top up oil/fuel etc)
6. Have the sales person go over any features of the car you may not be familiar with - eg electronic oil level, MFD computer, cruise control, spacesaver spare/compressor and pair your BT phone to the car
7. Have a test drive - if you so wish - test all basic controls and listen out for rattles/vibrations
8. Have another coffee and ask the sales person any questions you may have
9. Ensure that the car is set for desired servicing regime - Time and Distance or Long Life
9.a. Also discuss the service pack options - both the VW one and the dealer packages. You can decide later which one is for you (during first 90 days)
9.b. Make sure they gave you the extra rear number plate if you asked for one (I need one for my tow bar mounted bike rack)
10. Complete the paperwork and pay for the car - if there are any issues you are unhappy with and it can't be fixed there and then, get written confirmation that the dealer will put them right - have this endorsed on the invoice and/or get them to send you an email confirmation there and then
11. Make sure you get 2(or 4 if ordered) keys and that the owners manual is complete - check to ensure that the service record has been stamped up by the dealer for the PDI
12. Put the telephone numbers for VW Assist in your phone
13. Bring a camera and take some photos
14. Bring an IPod/SD card with some of your favourite music on
15. Drive away and enjoy your new pride and joy
16. Post an inspection/collection report on the forum - with pics - job done

Specific Bodywork checks:
When you examine the panels/bodywork, look at the car from each corner, obliquely along the body line. Let your eyes follow the contours of the car, paying careful attention to the front door panels. Squat down slightly and move your head up/down/left/right, paying particular attention to the concave section of the front doors. Look for any signs of distortion from under the door mirror, down and across into the centre of the door and then down into the lower corner next to the B pillar. I have found it useful to use a straight reflection (kerb line or lamp post) to use as a reference when looking at panels as well as sharply contrasting areas of light/shade as this shows up any defects more easily. Hopefully you will not find issue with the manufacture, but do look for signs of distortion where the inner accident strengthening panel bonds to the inside of the door - it is about 4" wide and runs across the complete door panel.

Good luck, enjoy the experience but don't rush it - take as much time as you need.

Anything Adblue?
You're right must be something on this - Is there a level indicator? Where is it? Do all filling stations sell Adblue? Halfords etc?

We emailed dealer before collection to check
. All options ordered present
. Check remote key paired Cali ( has occurred & owner had to return to garage )
. Agreed price with Vat, fitting of dealers options before collection
. Check all doors operate with keys
. Paperwork for warranty extension / service plan agreed.( some had no evidence of extended warranty )

Added to check list
. Lighter torch ( some disappeared on route)
. Alarm disable on drive door pillar( not present on one Cali)
. Check roof canvas carefully- up & down X 3
. Folding chairs in boot / table in door
. Sliding table has a leg ( WE DIDN'T CHECK , found out later no leg!!!!!
The dealer had to pay for a new sliding table , provided by our local VW , because they had ticked all present & correct on delivery cost ÂŁ350+)
. Inspect paintwork carefully

I found a dent in the bonnet . Husband didn't notice it.
We bought through Drive the Deal , so not local VW.
The sales manager was present on collection & agreed to a bonnet swap with another newly delivered T6 transporter.
Our handover took over 3 hours .

Forgot to add get them to check 12 v sock in roof is connected( not working in a T6 Cali on here)

More for list :
. New T6 front blinds pull out from pillar get dealer to show how their work
. X2 magnetic blinds one for passenger & drivers window.
. Check all others blinds work, pull down. The rear window blind pulls up!! Small window above fridge has a blind that pulls out from the back of wardrobe .Get dealer to show you how
. Adaptive cruise / functions on multi function steering wheel, get the dealer to show you how it works
. X2 straps , 1 for emergency roof closure & 1 for attaching the sliding table to rear bench.
Dealer showed how these both worked

Last edited:
We are just updating the handover checklist, can anyone tell me if there are any additions that are for the T6 or Beach please? All I have so far is the cup and holder?

Existing list is here: https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/handover-checklist-for-vw-california-part-one.8945/

Thanks
Martin
Did you miss the thread where I posted my updated version in March / April?
Attached again
Also in the same thread there were lots of other additional comments. Sorry I never got around to incorporating them all.
Alison

Attachments

• VW California check list.pdf
    37.3 KB · Views: 141
Thanks for that Alison, maybe we will look at having two checklists, one for brand new and one for used.

What about a Beach List too? Many overlaps, but some differences.

Also worth checking interior for marks on seats, flooring etc.
Some comments in the forum about dodgy seals on the sliding windows so check for water ingress?

rear cupholder , upstaires safety net ?

Our T6 Ocean also came with the magnetic curtain for the windscreen in addition to the 2 curtains for the side windows in the cabin. I'm not sure if that is normal though since it already has the roller blinds for the windscreen. Worth checking the 3 LED lights in the roof ...these didn't work in ours at handover but that was only because there was no charge in the leisure battery. The removable towbar had also gone walkabout and had to be ordered and sent on by the dealer ...there is a space in the toolbox for it I believe but I've not stored it there (prefer to keep it handy).

I would be worried about the leisure battery if it was so flat as not to be able to power a couple of LED lights. It won't have done it any good to be flattened that badly & left like that.

Thanks Andy. I will check that out. I've not had a problem with the leisure battery so far but haven't paid much attention to the charge it is holding. The van was an ex-demo that had sat at the dealership for a good while with no use before we bought it.