Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Handy little shelf

Looks good. How much is it going to cost ?

Looks really good. My only concern is that when the door is opened, the little door pop up thingy is likely to snap. Would it be better to cut a slot to avoid this potential problem?

No because that is what stops the shelf sliding out of the kitchen unit groove.

I tried a similar shelf that I made myself.
It worked ok with an inherent risk that somebody may open the passenger door and damage the door and spill the shelf contents but this never actually happened in reality.
I moved the idea on because of the need to store the shelf as a loose item when the passenger chair is returned for driving.
I used to place the shelf adjacent to the handbrake over the top of the trim cover but it would get in the way a little and provide another rattle source.

The next phase was to look at the ski cover next to the bench seat drawer.
The idea is to use the x3 pick up points for the ski cover but design the cover so that it doubles up as the little table in the position shown above but integrating a support in the design of the shelf/cover using the kitchen unit vertical surface to form the triangular shape as opposed to going over to the passenger door to mitigate the door opening scenario.

In a nutshell you have a shelf for use when the passenger chair is turned for camp mode and a discreet, safe rattle free shelf storage when you are driving. Plus the added benefit of using the space at the side of the bench seat for additional storage (easy access 3L box of wine) when the cover is used as a shelf.

It's more difficult than I thought to describe the idea, hope people can understand.

Just need a catia designer or 3D modeller as I don't currently have the necessary skills or equipment - Can anybody help out?

It's expensive. Will it be for sale at VW Amersfoort to save shipping costs to the mainland?
Storage idea: attach to the outside of the cupboard with velcro?

Looks really good. My only concern is that when the door is opened, the little door pop up thingy is likely to snap. Would it be better to cut a slot to avoid this potential problem?
or use Velcro?

Well I've undertaken the door opening test !!!

If the door is unlocked then the shelf 'jumps' off the knob and falls off. This did result in a (fortunately empty) mug hitting the floor. My thoughts are to attach a folding tab of some sort to the shelf that is visible from outside when someone goes to open it. Won't physically stop the door from being opened but might be a sufficient reminder.

I have now got into the habit of locking the door when installing the shelf but having limited success trying to get Mrs DM to do the same .........

PS. The shelf is very good albeit a bit pricey.

Bit the bullet and bought one for my T6. Extremely well made and works very well. Any extra shelf space is always worth having!

I did think of making my own, until I checked the online price for a piece of perspex 5mm thick, which was about £25, and there is no way I could cut it as well as this one.

It's a big thumbs up from me...

Any ideas on how to update this to suit a T6.1
We have lost the groove in the end of the sink unit & also the button on the door.
I am thinking thin metal hooks at each end, one set go down the gap between the door glass & the door trim, & at the other end something a bit more substantial that hooks over the edge of the sink.

The shelf is a brilliant extra bit of worktop that remained in place whilst the top to the sink was open - especially useful as we had the one piece glass lid.

If you make a cup of coffee you need the lid open for the sink & hob and need the fridge open for milk at some point.

Things might be easier now we have a van with the split lid but anything that saves on the inevitable shuffling of stuff around just to get at something else is in my opinion a good thing.

As for storage it’s flat and a couple of mm thick, just slides into one of the pockets on the back of the front seat.