Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hardnott pass to Eskdale in SE Cali fun!

P6YRK

P6YRK

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Just back from eskdale campsite in lakes and took the Cali over Hardnott pass, great fun and a must do! Campsite great too and Boot Inn pub amazing food and drink, anyone know other passes like this in uk?

IMG_0585.JPG

IMG_0589.JPG

IMG_0597.JPG

Bealach na Bà is an interesting pass! Driving towards Applecross is perhaps more challenging than driving from Applecross but either way the scenery is stunning. Single track with hairpin bends and passing places. Gradient 20% I think. Parking place at top so you can break the drive into two parts.

You should take those bikes off the back and ride up it ;)

I must of just missed you!
As I drove the hard knott this week too, stayed at wasdale head campsite. I drove into eskdale site and it was full of big whites! Not keen on open field sites. IMG_4011.JPG
Think I had the better weather too.

Bealach na Bà is an interesting pass! Driving towards Applecross is perhaps more challenging than driving from Applecross but either way the scenery is stunning. Single track with hairpin bends and passing places. Gradient 20% I think. Parking place at top so you can break the drive into two parts.

Yes did that last week, it's a lovely drive, but they will close the whole thing when it snows. The coast road is superb too.

The excellent campsite in Applecross is 5 mins walk above the Applecross Inn, a great place for a lively evening!

Wrynose pass is good, also in the lakes.
Cheers I'll give that a go, maybe pick a nicer day t
tr that one too thanks!

+1 for Applecross - we sat & waited in a short 'jam' in a rented Type 2 once whilst an AA truck mended a big white halfway up. One of the remotest places I've ever been & a must-do UK drive, likely better in a Caterham I expect.

Last time we went over Hardknott (or perhaps Wrynose?, the one with the good pub anyway) a yoof - facing uphill on a narrow section - asked us for a jump-start ... Neither of us had the bottle for a rolling bumpstart in reverse! :D

Hardknott. I now remember that Wrynose has more trees (bust a cooling hose on that one last time ...)

IMG_6471.JPG

IMG_6483.JPG

I remember Hard Knott as a kid with my parents. Oh the smell of hot brakes and a cooling system about to burst!! (and no seatbelts!!). We were in a Bedford CA Dormobile - only just made it!
Honister pass is nice too but not as steep but still worth it as you can also take the road over Buttermere Haws too and make a circuit of your drive as you go "around" Borrowdale.

I cycled up the Hardnott pass on my mountain bike, then wore out a set of brake pads and turned my discs blue on the descent down the Wrynose. I don't fancy driving over it if I'm honest!

I'll give that a go, thank you!

I must of just missed you!
As I drove the hard knott this week too, stayed at wasdale head campsite. I drove into eskdale site and it was full of big whites! Not keen on open field sites. View attachment 21623
Think I had the better weather too.
No caravans allowed at eskdale campsite? Just vans and tents, perfect..

No caravans allowed at eskdale campsite? Just vans and tents, perfect..
There where a few motorhome things in there when I drove in, wasdale head is tents and campers only very nice site.
The lakes are gorgeous wherever you choose to park though.

@briwy is your Cali a 4motion? Seem to be getting up effortlessly compared to the bongo which appears not a 4wd model. Just curious.

Yes it is but so is the Bongo.
Big difference is that we had full winter tyres on and the Bongo was on all season Goodyears.
In theory the Bongo should be better as its mid engined.

Back