Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hardwiring a dashcam

T

TwoDogs

VIP Member
Hi, I've got a Nextbase dashcam and want to hardwire it into the Cali, rather than having it plugged in to the cigarette lighter sockets (as they are permanently live).
The kit includes a fuse "extender" so you can piggy back of an existing circuit. So, I thought it would be easy to identify a suitable fuse that's only live with the ignition on and use that.

I downloaded the fuse diagrams, and identified the "number plate light" in Position 11 would be good....but it's not there. Then I thought the radio fuse would be good (number 33)...also not there.

I'm very confused...I've downloaded the Cali fuse diagram - mine is a 2015 SE - can anyone offer any advice for a suitable circuit to use? (As far as I can see, none of the many empty fuse sockets are "live"...i.e. can't see any connections in the back of them)

many thanks for any help!

well, yes, I can obviously do that, but I was hoping someone here might be able to help

Well I'm confused now. You say you have no radio fuse? Does the radio work?

Does the number plate light work?

What you need to be sure of is that you use a circuit that has a fuse rating less than the rating of the wire in your fuse extender. Then, should the fuse extender cable short out upwind of the new inline fuse, the main circuit fuse will fail instead of the cable melting and setting fire to your van. Got that?

So at a guess, you need something low as you've identified.

Can you access the radio supply?

Mine is connected to the ignition-switched radio live, but I scotch-blocked it to the feed wire. Works fine.

Surely the number plate lamp is off when the lights are off?

I figured it needs to be lower than the rating of the wire...hence picking the rear number plate light being 5A. I wasn't intending to use the radio one, as it says it is 30A. I wanted to stay away from anything other than "non-critical" circuits...e.g. lighting.

I've not tried to access the radio supply...possibly, but that would probably need me to either remove the unit or remove dashboard trim, which I'm not keen to do.

Everything works just fine...hence my confusion. Maybe my question is really "where is a fuse map that shows the fuses for a 2015 Cali SE?".

There will be both a permanent live and ignition live wires going to the main headlight/sidelight switch. Could connect into these (with an inline fuse) and lead the dash cam supply wires up behind the A pillar trim.
Access via the panel at the end of the dashboard visible when the drivers door is open. The rotary light switch has a sort of bayonet action (like household bulbs) if you need to remove that.
5 mins with a multimeter will identify the ignition live wire.

that's a thought, Owen.but maybe beyond what I want to do in my Cali....would happily do that in my Landie but it's a bit more scary in the Cali

It's taken you 4 1/2 years to come up with that?! Thanks

Back