Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Has anyone got a "Dock" camping kitchen?

Borris

Borris

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Greetings Cali chums,
I wonder if you could help me? Someone recently posted some information about the Dutch made "Dock camping kitchen" range. Unfortunately I've been unable to find the post. If you haven't seen that post and don't know what they are, here's a short video:

What I'd like to know is:
1. Has anyone got one.
2. If you have, what are your thoughts and impressions of it.
3. Criticisms, drawbacks etc

It certainly looks like its well made and well thought out.

Any advice would be welcome.

Very nice piece of kit there, though I nearly spat my tea out when I saw the price :shocked

It does look very good and maybe a good addition to our beach.

I posted it ip. I haven't ordered one yet. I keep debating it though.
I spotted them on Instagram as I follow the hashtag #vwcaliforniabeach - this user has one

There is an article in this magazine https://www.xtreme-adventure.com/#dflip-df_1797/104/
Thanks so much Paul,
I became interested after reading your original post. It looks like a very well made item and I love the simplicity of the design. We currently use a single burner Campingaz stove for cooking, usually always outside, which has always been fine. However, this setup looks great and wouldn't compromise our current Euro box stowage setup. It would merely enhance it.

I haven't made up my mind about getting one yet and probably won't unless I can see one in the flesh. They are expensive and I won't commit unless I can actually see one first. Their advert says it should last a life time so if the build quality is superb then I might give one a go.

I live near Canterbury so a trip to Holland wouldn't be that difficult although not a present of course!!!

Thanks again for the information.
Best wishes

Paul

Last edited:
When I enquired about the full price including shipping it was €972.44 which is for model 2 and yes indeed they are expensive but they look very well-made and look quite amazing and like you say Boris if you want quality you have to pay for it as for buying one I'm waiting on the management to consider the proposal I have put forward so with a bit of luck and peaceful persuasion we will get there in the end ;)

Òooo, my thoughts haven't even gone before the commitee yet. Although I did show her the blurb the other day and received some encouraging noises. I did however withold one very minor detail, the price. If you do get approval and purchase, i'd welcome your thoughts and impressions of it please. :thumb

If I decide to throw all caution to the wind and buy one I will do a write up.

Cost is no more than a Michelin 4* tasting menu for four, so if you exercised your culinary skills, the cost would be recouped in the first couple of meals.:)
Why does everything come down to money? It's the wrong way to view things. If something is a quality item that will last for years then I don't mind paying the price or going without. What I do object to is having to buy something that's clearly rubbish and won't last five minutes i.e just about all consumer goods these days. :thumb

Here's one for your taste buds.

Lunch takes about five hours and is truly spectacular.

Getting a bit off topic here, but at my age something that is going to last "a lifetime" has limited appeal, although it might be appreciated by a relative at some future date; not too soon I hope!

Òooo, my thoughts haven't even gone before the commitee yet. Although I did show her the blurb the other day and received some encouraging noises. I did however withold one very minor detail, the price. If you do get approval and purchase, i'd welcome your thoughts and impressions of it please. :thumb

If I decide to throw all caution to the wind and buy one I will do a write up.

My wife is very keen for us to buy one, but having just purchased a Calicap drawer and Dometic CFX3 35 my paypal balance is currently too low. I also want to wait until the fridge has arrived so i can see how it would all fit in.
The people on Instagram with it all seem to like it

My wife is very keen for us to buy one, but having just purchased a Calicap drawer and Dometic CFX3 35 my paypal balance is currently too low. I also want to wait until the fridge has arrived so i can see how it would all fit in.
The people on Instagram with it all seem to like it
Hello Paul,
Those two items would leave a substantial dent in anyones wallet, so I sympathise.

If it's of any help here are some posts I submitted about our Calicap and stowage. See post #19 onwards.

So this is our current set up:

Screenshot_20191026-233508_Gallery-1.jpg

It works extremely well for us so may not get altered.

You will see that we also have a CFX35. The remaining space on our 740mm Calicap pull out tray is taken up with Euro boxes and a water container. There is still a little bit of depth left (about 40mm) at the front (towards the front of the vehicle) where I store a 19mm socket and a breaker bar for wheel changing. The largest box ("kitchen box") measures 600 x 400mm. IF I purchase a "Dock kitchen", which has the same width and depth, it should fit exactly in the space currently occupied by this box and the two smaller ones that sit on top of it. The "Dock" is 410mm high so should fit beneath the Multiflex whilst on the tray.

So there are two possible stowage options here:
1. Stow the Dock where the kitchen box and two smaller boxes currently are in this photo. In this position there would be a minimal clearance of 1 - 2 mm when slid in beneath the handle that lowers the front section of the Multiflex.

20200610_200002.jpg

2. Stow the Dock at the rear of the tray (towards the rear of the vehicle) having moved the remaining three Euro boxes and water container forward. In this position there is around 23mm clearance beneath the Multiflex. I actually prefer this position because it gives instant access to the "Dock" without removing the other boxes first. The gap left in this photo is where it would sit.

20200610_200302.jpg

As I have said, for the moment at least, this is purely a feasability study and the whole idea may get scrapped. However, with a slight re-organisation it should fit neatly into our stowage arrangements. I just need to see one first and try it in position.

I hope that helps.
Best wishes

Paul

Last edited:
Greetings Cali chums,
I wonder if you could help me? Someone recently posted some information about the Dutch made "Dock camping kitchen" range. Unfortunately I've been unable to find the post. If you haven't seen that post and don't know what they are, here's a short video:

1. Has anyone got one.

Hadn’t seen this before, it looks an interesting bit of kit.

Unpacking the thing and then just drinking a beer , to pack it all in ....
Strange habbit , he did not even cook someting!

If it's of any help here are some posts I submitted about our Calicap and stowage. See post #19 onwards.

I was originally intending on emulating your configuration, however seeing this dock box made me think it might be a good (albeit expensive) option to cook on instead of taking a camping table.
However I'd be concerned about leaving it out even in an awning, which is probably what is concerning me most about purchasing. I don't want to have to pack it away if we went out on a walk
We have camped in the Splitscreen camper for many years. Only once have we had a theft which was out of our awning when in France, however this is very shiny

I was originally intending on emulating your configuration, however seeing this dock box made me think it might be a good (albeit expensive) option to cook on instead of taking a camping table.
However I'd be concerned about leaving it out even in an awning, which is probably what is concerning me most about purchasing. I don't want to have to pack it away if we went out on a walk
We have camped in the Splitscreen camper for many years. Only once have we had a theft which was out of our awning when in France, however this is very shiny
It might not be as elegant, but Muji drawers and a plywood board does it for us.
IMG_2846.JPG

All pack away nicely into the Beach.
IMG_2084.JPG

Greetings Cali chums,

1. Has anyone got one.

Number 3...
The constant unpacking and packing.
Looks well made. Nice concept.
Certainly brought back memories of why I changed from Beach to Ocean...;)

It's a valid point. I don't know how common theft is from campsites so can't really comment. However, isn't the Dock's quick set up and pack away capabilities an advantage? It would only take a few seconds to return it to the relative safety of the locked boot where it would be out of sight.

Like you, I haven't decided yet. Our current set up serves us well enough. It's quick and convenient and enhances the out doorsey cooking experience, which we love. However, if I'm totally honest, having a "Dock" camping kitchen would probably be more about having a pleasing well designed kitchen accessory than it would be about improving the practicality of our current setup. But why not? It's appears to be a great piece of kit.

When stopping for picnics etc we often sit at the rear of the van with the tailgate open and the tray pulled out. This gives us a good platform to prep food and easy access to the fridge/freezer. With the Dock removed, erected and operating to one side, I can see it as a great enhancement to our setup. We shall see.

Last edited:
Number 3...

I have a Splitscreen with a camping interior. I never cook inside due to the steam/smells lingering. If the weather is too wet/cold to cook outside you either go home or eat in a pub!

I think whatever setup you have living in a small space involves some level of moving stuff around!

:thumb
Number 3...
As always it's "each to their own".

As you know I went from SE to Beach and haven't looked back. I can see the advantages and disadvantages of both vehicles but in the end it comes down to which version you find easier to live with.

I have a Splitscreen with a camping interior. I never cook inside due to the steam/smells lingering. If the weather is too wet/cold to cook outside you either go home or eat in a pub!

I think whatever setup you have living in a small space involves some level of moving stuff around!
And that's partly why we have a Beach and our current stowage plan. Put simply it involves far less disruption. Everything is in the boot and easily accessible. No need to disrupt the passenger compartment or passengers.

When we had an SE we discovered that cooking inside demanded a kind of regimental discipline otherwise you were forever getting in and out to get at stuff in draws, cupboards and the fridge. It was difficult nigh almost impossible to do this with people occupying the seats. I stress that that is only our perspective.

Nobody ever cooked in a type 1. I had a type 2 bay years back and you couldn’t swing a cat in it...

Each to their own.
But Borris asked and the negative I can see, is having to pack and unpack it constantly...

It's a valid point. I don't know how common theft is from campsites so can't really comment. However, isn't the Dock's quick set up and pack away capabilities an advantage? It would only take a few seconds to return it to the relative safety of the locked boot where it would be out of sight.

Like you, I haven't decided yet. Our current set up serves us well enough. It's quick and convenient and enhances the out doorsey cooking experience, which we love. However, if I'm totally honest, having a "Dock" camping kitchen would probably be more about having a pleasing well designed kitchen accessory than it would be about improving the practicality of our current setup. But why not? It's appears to be a great piece of kit.

When stopping for picnics etc we often sit at the rear of the van with the tailgate open and the tray pulled out. This gives us a good platform to prep food and easy access to the fridge/freezer. With the Dock removed, erected and operating to one side, I can see it as a great enhancement to our setup. We shall see.
We are giving this serious consideration as well.
We enjoy the outside cooking experience and though our current set up works well we do like the look of this system to enhance our outings, which to us is what it’s all about.
In relation to theft, we don’t see any issue in packing it away when leaving a site for the day, if it can all be done within a few minutes it wouldn’t be a problem for us.

Back