Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Has anyone heard of the roof opening on one side of a T5 whilst driving?

I

ian Hemming

Vehicle
Just browsing
Has anyone heard of the roof opening slightly on one side whilst driving on a T5 ?

I have not but I'm sure someone probably has.

er...

2 seconds of thinking

Yes :oops:

Similar,

My 2nd time out I think, my roof did not close properly, unbeknown to me. The flexilight, as I remember, was folded over on to the upstairs mattress and not in front of it and that fouled the roof when closing. I heard a weird noise, stopped, walked round and noticed the front corner lifted.

I now check the display that it shows locked and do a walk-round before setting off. No harm done fortunately.

We've had it once, like Jen describes. Since then: make sure we hold the 'close' button until the compressed sound stops by itself: we learned it pushes the lock pin in while making that sound. And the visual double check outside before take off.

If you drive off with the roof not properly closed it could .
If fully closed the way it supposed to it can not open becouse it secures itself , if the system fails and the closing is done by turning the emergency screw you need to strap the roof for instance with the supllied emergency straps.....

so the next Q is gonna be : where can i find those emergency straps....:D

answer: should be supplied when your Cali was deliverd from new....

We had it happen a couple of years ago on A10 north of Orleans, at 70mph. Pulled into aire tried roof 2 or 3 times no problem locked everytime. Never happened again.
Agree with above post whether opening or closing keep finger on button until pump stops working.

Onboard computer said roof was shut and appeared shut to the eye, after driving from Exeter to Bristol stopped and found roof was open on one side, onboard computer still showing roof was shut and no warnings shown on any displays - very un-nerving. VW says that this is not an issue !! really on a 9mth old vehicle

Onboard computer said roof was shut and appeared shut to the eye, after driving from Exeter to Bristol stopped and found roof was open on one side, onboard computer still showing roof was shut and no warnings shown on any displays - very un-nerving. VW says that this is not an issue !! really on a 9mth old vehicle

OK , in that case not normal .
Have it checked , if happens again have the system changed under warrenty

Ps , fill in your personal details an verhicle type so others see you have a T6

Last edited:
I have had the issue with a faulty roof ram. If the roof was not even when closing it would not lock on one side even though the display said otherwise. Changed the ram and no issue since. But I still make it a habit to visually inspect the roof on both sides when taking down.

My top mattress slid backwards when I raised the bed for headroom I closed the roof later with the mattress in that position. The result was the rear of the roof did not close.
I wasn't aware of it immediately and drove off. Saw it later and realised what it was.reopened the roof slightly and pulled the mattress forward. I can't see any damage. Anyone else have experience of this and suffer damage?
Embarrassing!

My top mattress slid backwards when I raised the bed for headroom I closed the roof later with the mattress in that position. The result was the rear of the roof did not close.
I wasn't aware of it immediately and drove off. Saw it later and realised what it was.reopened the roof slightly and pulled the mattress forward. I can't see any damage. Anyone else have experience of this and suffer damage?
Embarrassing!
Many reports on here of the salesman doing this on demo, easily done, normally OK but has been known to twist the roof.

Just been out at lunch time and all seems well with the lines of the roof from every angle.
Didn't bother raising the roof as it was so windy.

Just been out at lunch time and all seems well with the lines of the roof from every angle.
Didn't bother raising the roof as it was so windy.

The mattress sliding back and interfering with rear closure is not uncommon.

Mostly no residual problems but it does hammer home the mantra of always, always, ... make a walk-round visual check before driving off. It's not just the roof, the cable you thought about unplugging but then was distracted, the bag of dirty clothes you moved out of the way under the van whilst packing up, the rear sliding window not closed properly ..... a minute of time to save a lot of grief later down the road...:sad

The mattress sliding back and interfering with rear closure is not uncommon.

Mostly no residual problems but it does hammer home the mantra of always, always, ... make a walk-round visual check before driving off. It's not just the roof, the cable you thought about unplugging but then was distracted, the bag of dirty clothes you moved out of the way under the van whilst packing up, the rear sliding window not closed properly ..... a minute of time to save a lot of grief later down the road...:sad
Yes absolutely!
The thing this time was that it was the very first time I had opened it so I had SWMBO looking at the outside while I also watched the bellows from the inside.
So I missed the mattress and she missed the the fact there was a gap outside after the motor stopped.
Joint effort! And. Counting my blessings!!!

Hi @2020 freedom glad that no damage has been caused, but is your mattress velcro engaged?

Just in case you have not seen it yet, there is a strip of velcro on the underside of the mattress and a corresponding piece on one of the sprung wooden bed slats, about the 4th or 5th slat back from the hatch. Designed, I assume, to help hold the mattress in place when the bed base is raised.

Of course this design feature will not function particularly well if the mattress is still in its polythene wrap...

Just a thought.

Thanks Pete
I didn't know yet about the Velcro partially because it is still in the polythene.
I got lucky!

Back