rich-s

rich-s

East Fleet Farm Touring Park - Weymouth
VIP Trade Partner
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
As title.

http://www.glawning.com

Have been looking at these for a few weeks. Expensive and heavy, but do look v. nice in my opinion. Think I might go for a 4m. Would like to see one in the flesh, or even just a 4m bell tent. I have a friend with a 5m bell tent which is excellent. Just a bit concerned about the reduced headroom area in a 4m.

Very old school, but nice. My concern would be drying before packing it away. Would be very heavy if wet and you would need a large lawn area or heavy duty clothes line to properly dry it. Nylon and synthetic fabrics much more forgiving in that respect.

Saw them as busfest look lovely but not very practical as an awning, plus you will take up more than the average allotted pitch.

Also saw this at Busfest, looks great but is crazy to think anyone could use as a drive away awning in real life. The size this folds down to is beyond stupid ( you will need a trailor) , also as mentioned above to dry out would be a nightmare. Oh yes, £849??? Are they having a bath?

Very funny.
I just don't get the why!

Oh gosh NO..!

It takes the whole easy mobility of the Cali away..in my view pointless.

Agreed, totally pointless accessory, especially at that price.
I know what you mean. Not sure we really need an awning anyway. Just quite fancied one of these as all the others I've seen don't inspire me at all. However I don't think that it takes the mobility of a cali away any more than any other awning.
With regard to drying it, luckily I have space for that.

Where do you store the fire-place and the logs....need a trailer.
Looks all cosy on the pictures , but putting it up?

Well many people like to immediately comment on 'why do you need an awning?'. But there are those of us who bought a Cali where an awning was an essential for longer stays (small size of vehicle compared to a motorhome giving manoeuvrability of the Cali on small roads and 4WD for fields... at the same time as needing the extra space from an awning for dogs and equipment for agility or other outdoor sports). So this looks great for that. And I agree with @rich-s it is far more attractive than my Vango Kela II. But can I fit it in the boot...? Currently, I am able to stop at Westmorland / Tebay campsite on the way to / from Scotland without having to put up an awning or unload the van as everything fits in the boot and I can lower the downstairs bed without issue... My personal circumstances... it doesn't fit for me.

@AlisonF
I never was much in to a drive-away awning , i bought one 2nd hand online ....came home with it , tryed it in the back yard ....packed it away and sold it the next week online the same price i bought it.
Like it simple , just push the "roof open" button is good enough for us.

@AlisonF
I never was much in to a drive-away awning , i bought one 2nd hand online ....came home with it , tryed it in the back yard ....packed it away and sold it the next week online the same price i bought it.
Like it simple , just push the "roof open" button is good enough for us.
HC, I agree, it's as us Brits say "horses for courses". It works for me and why I bought my Cali - I don't use my awning for drive away, but as storage and more room for me and two dogs as I can't cope with them under my feet when cooking. My word of caution on the Glawning is that it looks so big you might be forced to use it when you really might want to wild camp or just not have the hassle of putting up the drive away awning as it doesn't look like it can be stored under the back shelf...

Something that size might be a solution for the other thread......Family of ten turning down a five bedroom house in Luton.

Had to laugh the other week as I arrived on site. I jumped out to check where exactly my pitch was, checking with the family next door who were just finishing building their tent. "Come and join us for a drink when you are set up!" they said.

So I maneuvered into position, spun the front seat around and thought...this is probably not quite the timescale they had in mind!

I don't even need to open the roof :)

I have watched too many people on caravan sites spending half of their recreational time putting up elaborate awnings to ever want one myself.

Small, easy stowed, easy dried, quick to put up .... yes,

Something that could be used as an overnight car park for the Cali, no.

I want to stop, park up, stick kettle on and be sorted in 5 minutes, and the same for getting away in the morning.

After a couple of ranty erections, the windey-outey one is enough for me now.

Canvas is also very heavy, even when dry, so it would be a right maul.

I have watched too many people on caravan sites spending half of their recreational time putting up elaborate awnings to ever want one myself.

I want to stop, park up, stick kettle on and be sorted in 5 minutes, and the same for getting away in the morning.

It does provide some excellent people watching opportunities. Our comments are often that's bigger than the caravan !

Aah, I love watching "them" putting up the vast awnings on their caravans as they p&^s around with all the poles.
Battle front drawn the enduing couple pace about like a bull and a mattador, sagging canvas acting as the cloak...
And they're off, get the stool out, pass me that, no not this....dark glares pass back and forth...
OOh, is one of them going to strop off to the facilities?!!!

Er, just top up me glass luv, I'm watching the entertainment.
Such fun.
When can we go again, it's better than t'telly this...

Although there have probably been sufficient negative comments on here to bring me to my senses regarding whether or not I need an awning. I have to point out that anyone who has ever put up a bell tent would no doubt testify as to how easy they are to erect. There is only one main pole to "p&^s" around with.

It does provide some excellent people watching opportunities. Our comments are often that's bigger than the caravan !

Aah, I love watching "them" putting up the vast awnings on their caravans as they p&^s around with all the poles.
Battle front drawn the enduing couple pace about like a bull and a mattador, sagging canvas acting as the cloak...
And they're off, get the stool out, pass me that, no not this....dark glares pass back and forth...
OOh, is one of them going to strop off to the facilities?!!!

Er, just top up me glass luv, I'm watching the entertainment.
Such fun.
When can we go again, it's better than t'telly this...

Coming home from France I arrived at a campsite where a newly arrived caravan was having it's awning erected.

They were at the "poles laid out, fabric unstowed" stage.

I popped my roof, turned on the gas, swivelled my seat and had a cup of tea, then, stiff from all the driving decided on a walk.

Ax I passed they were manhandling one edge onto the awning. With a cheerful "bonsoir" I went for my walk, a couple of miles through sand dunes and along the beach.

Returning, and with a revived "bonsoir" I greeted the puffing couple as they tried to put some fabric over a joined together skeleton of poles.

I made myself some soup, then with a cheerful "bonsoir" went and asked my struggling neighbours if they would like coffee or une verre de vin.

Finally, at 10.30pm, in darkness, they completed the mammoth task and were returning my wine glasses. They looked inside my Cali, then popped in, then I lowered the upstairs bed to show them,

I think they went back to their flapping awning thinking about a Cali instead ....

We have an awning. We only use it if we are staying in the same place for several days, so not very often. The 'drive-away' option is a joke - you can drive away easily enough but getting the van back in the right place is impossible & you're stuck with a saggy attachment. It has occurred to me that we'd be better off just pitching our (biggish) tent next door instead, then at least the driving away/back would be workable.

We have an awning. We only use it if we are staying in the same place for several days, so not very often. The 'drive-away' option is a joke - you can drive away easily enough but getting the van back in the right place is impossible & you're stuck with a saggy attachment. It has occurred to me that we'd be better off just pitching our (biggish) tent next door instead, then at least the driving away/back would be workable.
I'm no expert driver but used my drive away and got back in olace really easily. Just put a couple of pegs in the ground near the centre of the wheels - but about 2" away from them. Easy to spot and align with even on my own.

I've managed to put the van back using this method, but the awning needs to be really taut into the attachment, or it sags, so it's quite exact. That's if it doesn't blow out of the attachment :-(

As title.

http://www.glawning.com

Have been looking at these for a few weeks. Expensive and heavy, but do look v. nice in my opinion. Think I might go for a 4m. Would like to see one in the flesh, or even just a 4m bell tent. I have a friend with a 5m bell tent which is excellent. Just a bit concerned about the reduced headroom area in a 4m.
Had a look on the site and they quote 49kgs for a 5mtr or 38kgs for the 4mtr. Puts quite a load in the Cali & needs 2 fit people to lift.
I'll stick to my idea of using a ridge tent if I need to unload/leave things on site. Look forward to the viewing of someone erecting or taking one down though. Sounds like a 5* people watching item.

Back