Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Has anyone tried both a topper and an isotop?

MattBW

MattBW

Here to help
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
I am curious as to the difference in effectiveness.

We are pondering a topper of some kind but aren't sure what to go for.

It comes down to isotop or an external topper like comfortz.
We like the idea of it being hidden and internal, less faff but is it as effective?

Not got or had an internal but my assumption would be......
External one keeps things dry and a bit warmer but is a bit of a hassle to put on and take off if wet.
Internal one is no hassle once paid for and fitted, does not keep your bellows dry but keeps you warmer.
I need to put mine away dry so for me external.

Mike

It will keep your mattress dry though

Yes Matt,
We have a Brandrup Isotop internal liner fitted in both of our vans. They are very effective at keeping the upper deck completely dry, draught free and cosy. Once fitted you can forget them as they are always in place when you use your roof. I cannot comment on the one that Comfortz make because it wasn't available when I bought the Isotops. However if it is anything like the other Comfortz products then it too will be excellent.
We usually just pop the roof up without bothering to fit our Comfortz Cali topper, however if the weather is either very cold or likely to be very wet we will fit it as well. It does make a big diference, making it very cosy indeed. The other obvious advantage is that the bellows can be put away dry.

Sorry, I have just re-read your post. You asked for recomendations on which to go for and not on both used together. If I were choosing one or the other I would definitely go for the Isotop (or possibly the Comfortz offering). The Isotop liner is a very good fit and once fitted you can forget it. I also find the topper a bit of a faff to fit especially if you are on your own under windy conditions.

Last edited:
I went the external topper way (calicap.ch) because I like to be covered in rain and have enough fresh air from the outside - I know quite a personal feeling and choice.

However a couple of friends love their internal (brandrup). Easier, nothing gets extra wet and once fitted, it fits perfect.

Yes Matt,
I would definitely go for the Isotop (or possibly the Comfortz offering). The Isotop liner is a very good fit and once fitted you can forget it. I also find the topper a bit of a faff to fit especially if you are on your own under windy conditions.
That is appealing to us at the moment too and my thinking, I like minimum faff when in the van, as the campervan life has quite a bit of built in faff anyway :)

I see Gary is selling an isotop but I'm aware there are several sizes depending on year. Research required.

I am curious as to the difference in effectiveness.

We are pondering a topper of some kind but aren't sure what to go for.

It comes down to isotop or an external topper like comfortz.
We like the idea of it being hidden and internal, less faff but is it as effective?

Interesting thread, and something I will need to consider.

As I see it, the main advantages of the internal topper is minimal faff and can be used in conjunction with a roof box or solar panels.

The main advantages of the external topper is keeping the bellows dry and looks more slick.

Not being able to use the roof box or solar panels might be a deal breaker for some, however there is the third way - a roofless topper. And, of course, the ideal place to store a sodden topper is in a roof box.

Just a point re external toppers. We are very pleased with the weather protection our Comfortz topper gives, however it is a pain to fold up and put away especially if wet, windy or both. If purchasing again I would buy the same topper but without windows. It is the vinyl windows that make folding the topper away difficult, the general fabric is fantastic and if wet when packing up it would be a lot easier to quickly roll up into a bag. The fabric is completely waterproof and a quick shake gets rid of most water droplets.

We have an internal (Comfortz) and external one (sold by those who cannot be mentioned ;)), but never use the external one as it's too much hassle. The internal one is great, its always in place and we wouldn't be without it.

We could use both in extreme conditions I guess, but it's never come to that.

If you don't use the upstairs bed, you could do what I did before we had the internal one; push the bed up with blankets hanging from the end and edges, and peg them to suitable attachment points below. Made a big difference! :)

We quite like sleeping upstairs, we tend to have our two dogs with us, who despite being small seem to put their legs straight out and take up more room than people lol :D:D

Last edited:
Aww sadly only for the SE/Ocean not for the beach :(
That's a shame.

Brandrup do the Isotop for both the Beach and the SE/Ocean. I have fitted both versions and as far as I can see it is only the upper edge fitting that differs. If you are interested I would give Brandrup a call and discuss it with them. I got mine from their outlet in Holland. Unlike me, they speak perfect English. They are very helpful and so should be able to advise.
My only criticisms would be that they are very expensive especially with the current level of the pound and the fitting instructions could be much much better. Other than that they are great.

That's exactly why I was tempted by a second hand one, it looks like second hand beach ones may be as common as hens teeth or unicorn poop. :D

That's exactly why I was tempted by a second hand one, it looks like second hand beach ones may be as common as hens teeth or unicorn poop. :D
Before you buy a second hand one I would make some enquiries to see if there is any differences between the T5 and T6 Beach roofs. I suspect that there aren't.

If you are fitting a second hand Isotop you will need to get new adhesive backed velcro tape from Brandrup. This tape sticks to the metalwork around the roof opening and provides the fixing for the lower edge of the Isotop liner. The rest of the upper fixings should come with your liner. Brandrup should also be able to supply you with the necessary cleaning and adhesive sachets that you will also need. Ask for two of each as they only supply one of each with a new liner and you have to work like grease lightning before they dry out on you. They shouldn't be expensive and frankly I 'd rather use the proper stuff which really works well.

When fitting, you first need to clean the metal surface, that the aforementioned velcro fixing tape sticks to, with the cleaning/prep sachet. When dry, after about 30-40 mins, use the adhesive sachet to preprep the metal surface. From memory you then have to go away and have a brew for an hour whilst the adhesive dries. You then carefully remove about 100 mm of the protective backing tape from the adhesive side of the velcro tape and carefully stick it to the prepared metal surface. Pull back the backing tape as you stick more down. If you remove too much you end up with a right old bunch of bastards (sorry, old fire service technical term). Start in the middle of the front, right above the heater/roof/fridge control panel and work right round the roof until you can join it up with where you started. Don't stretch the tape as you stick it down. Press it down into position and then leave well alone to cure for 24hours before attempting to fit the Isotop liner. Don't try any of this unless the temperature is a lot warmer than present otherwise you may have issues. They do recommend carrying out the fixing only between certain upper and lower temperatures but having thrown away the instructions I can't help you with precise figures.

If you get stuck send me a PM and I will help if I can. I will send some photos if you need further help.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Sorry Matt,
Forgot to mention that if you are thinking of buying a second hand Isotop then if it came off of a T5 Cali Beach then it should fit your van without any need to make further enquiries but now I'm stating the bl**dy obvious.:thumb

Borris, you've made an old Firefighter chuckle, " right old bunch of bastards ", conjurs up images of BA guide line training....lol :eek:

Matt.
See here for the test on the protype Comfortz internal topper, the CaliCosi
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/internal-topper.9224/page-2
Its been in our van for nearly two years now and we wouldn't be without it. We also have a Comfortz external topper (bought before the internal was available) but rarely use it unless we are going to be in one place for a few days and know it is going to really wet.
Incidentally, if you ask Nick nicely he will fit a "window" into an external topper so that i can be used with a solar panel, cuts down the power a bit but still works fine.

If you are the kind of person that stays many days on the same spot and have awnings en masse wih mats etc etc go with the external. If you intend to stay one or two nights on each location and use it in any weather get the internal.
We are four in our beach and I can tell you there is not much room over to store an external liner. The T6 is waterproof so you dont need an external for that.

I didn't even know Comfortz did an internal one! I best check that out!
What a confession to make!
I use both as am a particularly light sleeper and like the extra sound insulation. The heat insulation (winter for cold and summer for heat) is also useful. Once you get used to putting the topper on it doesn't take long and ditto for removal (I still need assistance but one of the other forum users who is similar (short) height to me can manage it on her own by rolling it - very effective and I need to practise that method).

Borris, you've made an old Firefighter chuckle, " right old bunch of bastards ", conjurs up images of BA guide line training....lol :eek:
Ah yes, halcyon days! And didn't those exercises always go swimmingly well? :Nailbiting

These days I have trouble finding my way to the bathroom in the dark. So all that training has really paid off.

Last edited:
Recently acquired a roofless Cali topper from a forum member and haven't had a chance to try it on yet but it folds incredibly easily (almost stuffs into the bag) and packs down very small. The reduction in material probably helps there.

Long term will probably buy an internal topper too for shorter stays but needed an external as we don't have a drive to dry out the bellows and don't like how much attention is drawn leaving the roof up parked on a through road.

Benefits of a roofless topper for me are future-proofing if we buy roof bars/box/kayak - all of which are intended but heaven knows when.

Back