Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Have towbar prep, where to go?

B

BRC

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Just purchased a new Ocean, it has towbar prep but need towbar as well. Dealer will do it at 'cost' - £500! Or will the local Westfalia reseller do as good a job for less?

It’s a shame the towbar wasn’t specified because it costs very little more than the prep.

I think the one I just sold had Westfalia branding on it, so it may be the same one; in any case it should be fine and hopefully cheaper.

Westfalia used to fit the VW removable tow bars around here.
I had the tow bar on our previous Cali fitted by Westfalia and they did an excellent job.

Yes, it is slightly annoying but finding an available 150 dsg Ocean with a towbar is not easy, so at least it has prep and can be fitted relatively easily. I'll try the local westfalia fitter.

Yes, it is slightly annoying but finding an available 150 dsg Ocean with a towbar is not easy, so at least it has prep and can be fitted relatively easily. I'll try the local westfalia fitter.
Does the tow bar prep just mean it has the electronics/software in place or does it already have the rear cross member required for the removable swan neck? If the forma, I wouldn’t expect any change from £500 from a reputable installer. Also if you get it installed by the dealer, you’ve only got one company to deal with if there are any issues... some installers are better at recoding the ECU than others.

Westfalia UK are based in Bristol 0117 955 1011 5-6, George Jones Rd, St. Philips, Bristol BS2 0QS. They did all the coding necessary on site and used to do the Tow Bars for VW as well. Might be worth giving them a call for your local agent and ask about coding, etc as well to put your mind at rest.

Try PF Jones who do a wide range with discount and fitting service. https://www.pfjones.co.uk/tow-bars/towbars-volkswagen/vw-t6-transporter-towbars.html

I've had Brink (Dutch) towbars and found them very high quality plus their detachable bar seems simpler to operate to me than the Westfalia factory fit. Negative being that it wouldn't stow in the toolkit box but then the UK Westfalia probably wouldn't either.
UK Westfalia is former Witter.

Looks like the saving(if any) is not going to be worth it, in monetary value or my time so easier to have done by dealer I think. Quote this morning £620+vat !

Try PF Jones who do a wide range with discount and fitting service. https://www.pfjones.co.uk/tow-bars/towbars-volkswagen/vw-t6-transporter-towbars.html

I've had Brink (Dutch) towbars and found them very high quality plus their detachable bar seems simpler to operate to me than the Westfalia factory fit. Negative being that it wouldn't stow in the toolkit box but then the UK Westfalia probably wouldn't either.
UK Westfalia is former Witter.

The Westfalia removable tow hook does fit in the Cali toolkit box, together with the lock keys and ball cover.

Alan

I would definitely get the dealer to do it then if there are any problems there is no arguing over who did what and passing the blame.

BRC

Where are you located...?
I had my towbar done by a reputable company in Leamington Spa. I had a Westfalia removeable towbar installed and fully coded to the California.

I believe if you have tow prep package, it’s the electrics that are there and ready to use.
So a fairly simple job to get sorted.

I would definitely get the dealer to do it then if there are any problems there is no arguing over who did what and passing the blame.
Ironically the dealer will probably get a local tow bar fitter to actually do the job.

Back