Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Have we left it too late?

sisumi

sisumi

Vehicle
T5 Beach
We're thinking of making a last minute trip to Western Scotland or the Western Isles. We haven't booked any campsites yet. With the school holidays beginning, is this the wrong time just to rock up and hope for space?

We love the outdoors but we're a family of four (two young kids) in a Beach, so although I understand wild camping is allowed, some basic facilities every now and again would make things much more comfortable.

What does everyone think? Madness, or am I just worrying too much and we should go for it!

Thanks everyone
Simon

Go for it its a big place but prepare your the last posting Midges many things we take for granted when at home but needing a small tube of cream miles from anywhere can be a "Pain"

School holidays started already in Scotland, so locals will have already started going away & they will be back at school before the end of English school holidays.

Yeah, midges, tho there is plenty of Scotland midge-free. We lived there for years without coming across them, would never camp near them again tho as they caused my dogs real problems. And ate my normally inspect repellent OH alive...

You've got to go with a 'glass half full' attitude & be prepared to be flexible, so everything depends on your existing 'family dynamics' :D

Before I had a van of my own two of us drove up to Glasgow in August & swapped over to a rented VW T2 camper, my daughter was about 8 or so. Over the week we had a fantastic time staying one or two nights in Fort William, Skye, Harris, Applecross & then back to Fort William, we didn't book anything in advance & hardly saw any midges - I don't think they like the sea air as much as inland ...

See also: https://www.smidgeup.com/midge-forecast/

That's right, so islands like Tiree usually have very few. We were in Loch Lomond the day after a very hot day, no wind & then it was bad.

If you're looking to avoid the crowds then you could consider heading out to the Western Isles. South Harris and the north coast of Lewis are stunning. You do need to book ahead for the Calmac ferries at this time of year, but the crossing times are short and it's all very easy.

Not many campsites on the Western Isles but you certainly can wild camp if you're happy with that. By the way, wild camping is indeed legally allowed - but with a tent, not a campervan. However, folks out in the Highlands and Islands will be perfectly nice about you parking up your van in places where you aren't a nuisance. You just have to be sensible and considerate.

But if you're going to arrive on Lewis/Harris at the weekend, bear in mind there is nothing open on Sundays. And I do mean nothing - no shops, pubs etc - well there's a petrol station in Stornoway where I think you can get a pint of milk on a Sunday morning! Important to know if you have young children.

Tiree and Colonsay have campervan policies. I never got to Lewis, only saw
Skye in rain, so do check forecasts. Love the islands tho and had a great holiday on the Ardnamurchan peninsula.

If I had little kids, I'd think carefully about how far up Scotland you want to go, it's bigger and the travelling is slower than down south. I used to drive all over and it was fab but having "nipped" to Edinburgh from North Wales last week, I was reminded how long it is. When you see a sign "83 miles to Carlisle" when you're knackered, it's a bit soul destroying. :)

Lots of Scots (I knew) go along to places like Gatehouse of Fleet...

Obviously everyone has an individual 'midge threshold' but l would definitely recommend midge proof ing the roof window, the sliding window screens and the sliding door. Also long sleeves, trousers tucked in socks and a head net (such an attractive look!). We never go to the Highlands in the summer because we HATE being eaten alive, although the coast is generally better especially on the East.
The midge forecast mentioned above is excellent, but anywhere above 2 on their grading l would avoid.

We're thinking of making a last minute trip to Western Scotland or the Western Isles. We haven't booked any campsites yet. With the school holidays beginning, is this the wrong time just to rock up and hope for space?

We love the outdoors but we're a family of four (two young kids) in a Beach, so although I understand wild camping is allowed, some basic facilities every now and again would make things much more comfortable.

What does everyone think? Madness, or am I just worrying too much and we should go for it!

Thanks everyone
Simon

We did this in western Scotland in a rented Motorhome about 8 years ago (crikey - where did that time go). We had no problems finding sites and mixed sites with wild camping in the far north and Islands.

Midges can be a problem. My main rule is avoid camping next to still water and don't gonfor the most sheltered spots - a good breeze is the best way to keep them at bay.

That being said - long sleeves / trousers and midge repellant are sensible precautions as well.

Thanks everyone, for all the advice. Perhaps seeing as we're coming all the way from Kent that the Cairngorm or Loch Lomond area are a more realistic distance bearing in mind the kids tolerance for distance.

If you decide on Cairngorm, the campsite at Rothiemurchus is a good one, although not cheap.

I suspect you'll need to book ahead for any campsite in Cairngorm area at this time of year, although I've only ever been there out of season so I may be wrong.

You might like the site at Blair Atholl. It is big and busy in a quiet sort of way, but it has a real castle with turrets etc , bagpipers, lovely grounds for children to explore etc. The campsite has lots of room to play and there are some organised activities in the holidays. It is pretty central for days out and generally speaking it should be fairly midge free.

Thanks everyone, for all the advice. Perhaps seeing as we're coming all the way from Kent that the Cairngorm or Loch Lomond area are a more realistic distance bearing in mind the kids tolerance for distance.
Both great areas as well. Wild camping is likely to be difficult in these areas though and they will be fairly busy. Probably worth booking. Perhaps pick a site to base yourself at for a few days in each area. Don't ignore Loch Kathrine and the Trossachs in the Lomond Area. The forest drive is well worth it. The East side of Loch Lomond is best. There's a couple of sites around Rowardennan (one forestry, one caravan club from memory).

I'd base myself around Avimore. There's loads to do there for the kids. Don't miss the Landmark Centre (treetop trail, red squirrel watching etc) and I'd recommend the highland wildlife park as well.

Have a great time

Borris has summed it up nicely!
Rowardennan and Rothiemurchus are both lovely but completely the wrong time of year for them IMHO .

Don't know if your children are old enough to have seen Harry Potter but Fort William area takes in the steam train journey and Glenfinnan Viaduct and Glen Coe scenery is magnificent too. There are good sites around also.

Obviously everyone has an individual 'midge threshold' but l would definitely recommend midge proof ing the roof window, the sliding window screens and the sliding door. Also long sleeves, trousers tucked in socks and a head net (such an attractive look!). We never go to the Highlands in the summer because we HATE being eaten alive, although the coast is generally better especially on the East.
The midge forecast mentioned above is excellent, but anywhere above 2 on their grading l would avoid.
Hi we are new members, only had our California T6 Ocean for a month.
We would love to know how you ' midge proof ' and what you use.
Many thanks.

Och, awa’ ye go!!! That’s what Calis are all about. Make it up as you go along. Very few places are ever totally full and just pick where you go to.

Midgies - a subject all by themselves. Basically, they can be like flying pirrhanas. Worse near trees and when it’s calmer.
Head nets are essential. We are going to look into one of those entire van mesh nets because they get through the pop-up mesh as if it’s not there. Fly spray maybe.

It’s never to late in a Cali!

Is that a thread resurrection record? Almost 6 years. :pinkbanana

Back