Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Have you ever been to Orkney in your Van?

P

Paul Roe

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
was thinking of doing the NC500 and thought about going over to Orkney and staying just one night.
Is it possible to see the sights of orkney in that sort of time scale ?
Thanks

Hi Paul
We recently have come back from two weeks with the van in Orkney and we found we could easily do another two. Loads of interest, amazing beaches, incredible bird life and the best and most numerous Neolithic remains on Europe. I could go on and on - it’s not for an overnighter ,so much more than that.

Only an hour on ferry ⛴ John o groats to st Mary’s hope so you could have a nice day there and see some of the main sights, but like the people on cruise ships do.

Orkney such a wonderful place though and you would not do it justice in a day.

That’s my view!

We did in 98 on bikes without a van, much colder than you think in middle of August .loads to see needs more than a night to make it worthwhile

You must see the Italian church made by prisoners of war from corrugated iron Nissan hut it's amazing inside .

We did in 98 on bikes without a van, much colder than you think in middle of August .loads to see needs more than a night to make it worthwhile

You must see the Italian church made by prisoners of war from corrugated iron Nissan hut it's amazing inside .
I reckon four nights minimum on Orkney. So much to see and do.

Agree about the Italian Chapel. Quite a feat given the limited resources that would have been available to prisoners of war.

was thinking of doing the NC500 and thought about going over to Orkney and staying just one night.
Is it possible to see the sights of orkney in that sort of time scale ?
Thanks
Paul, The NC500 is becoming a bit of a race track for many and I would tactfully suggest you take your time and explore off the route ( look at the likes of Torrisdale bay as an example). There is much to take in and weather permitting taking your time will be a much more enjoyable experience. Be aware that the great whites are often hired and the drivers have no idea of using the single track roads. Google earth satellite imagery will allow you to get an idea of the locations. Safe journey.:cheers

I did Orkney and westray. Overnight stop would be a bit ridiculous. 3 would be better. The standing stones of stennes and scara brae are amazing. You could do those in a day. But lots more than that to see with eagles cave Kirkwall Town etc.edit. Don't miss this sign. My favourite spot

FB_IMG_1556395560997.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks For all the replies
I might leave it for another time.
Which is the best site on Orkney to stay at?

Thanks For all the replies
I might leave it for another time.
Which is the best site on Orkney to stay at?
Just back from staying a few days on the site at Birsay. Very flat site, good base for touring around. Used to be the area bowling green! Simple site, next to outdoor centre hostel where access dishwashing sink, outside block for toilets, shower (unmetered) and washing machine, EHU for all pitches.

Went last year, but only on a coach trip, and it's an impressive place to visit. Did Skara Brae for my daughter as they did some work on it at school.
My previous visit was in '96 on the bike and things have changed since then. Much more tourist based now, but still enjoyable.

We camped there years ago. So windy we couldn't get the frame tent up so spent ~5 nights in a tiny mountaineering tent. We've been wanting to go back ever since. Magical place.

I did Orkney and westray. Overnight stop would be a bit ridiculous. 3 would be better. The standing stones of stennes and scara brae are amazing. You could do those in a day. But lots more than that to see with eagles cave Kirkwall Town etc.edit. Don't miss this sign. My favourite spot

View attachment 44146
On Orkney and not a sign in sight
Apparently the council has stopped replacing them as people keep stealing them so not one single sign anywhere except a shop in Kirkwall that sells them

Rented a house for 2 weeks on Orkney in 2016, loved it could have stayed longer, looking forward to going back in the Cali.

On Orkney and not a sign in sight
Apparently the council has stopped replacing them as people keep stealing them so not one single sign anywhere except a shop in Kirkwall that sells them
the sign still exists. I found it. hence the pic. I asked a postman where it was.