Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Have you got your van right?

L

lth

Hi,
We have our van for sale as we want a tow bar but more importantly, an automatic as my wife struggles with the manual.
So if it goes we will buy new.
Just started reading all the threads and I realised that:
a) the van is run in and consumption has risen
b) I have ORD (obsessive rattle order) and after many early nightmares the van is quiet.
c) There are none (as yet) of the issues that can reasonably be expected in a complex vehicle.
d) The upgrade cost to match what I have now is mind-blowing. I think the Cali does hold its value for the first 6 months and when it is older than 2+ years.
So, the probable answer is to have a tow bar fitted (not by VW!) and do most of the driving myself.

Just wondered how many folk have got over teething troubles and got their van right?

I've just fitted a towbar to mine.

£155 for the bar & £155 for electrics.

All OEM stuff. Fitting is quite time consuming and depends on how handy you are.

Hi Stu,

I read your post on fitting a tow bar and I could not do it. The westfalia option looks good.

I will look around but would need to be certain that the rear sensors would not be compromised.

We need it for a tow bar bike rack as lifting the bikes above has become problematic.

Cheers

The good thing about using the Westfalia parts is that they are OEM and hence no issue with my sensors.

+1 for Westfalia kit, it really is quality and I wouldn't touch anything else now.

If you're fitting a tow bar mounted bike carrier, just make sure there is enough clearance to open the tail gate when the carrier is folded down. Some don't allow enough room.

.....ask me how I know this !!! :headbang

S.

I was looking at one that folded forward allowing the boot to open. Is that what you mean?

Indeed, BUT !! the Thule version I bought (renowned brand - what can go wrong?), clashed with the tail gate.
I have a genuine Westy tow bar fitted.

The problem is the lower mount of the carrier. The non pivoting section is about 20mm to high, or the tow bar is fitted too far forward?

It may be worth while going to a shop to check it fits before purchase.

In my case I just need to grind off the welded mount and re weld it lower down on the base.
(or get someone to do it).

S.

I think going to a shop is sound advice. I have looked at two bike thule carriers and the price and model range is wide. There is little to explain (to me ) what the essential difference is.

Good luck with your re-grinding :p

Back