Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Head lights come on when opening vehicle

audio2

audio2

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
First night in my new van, came back from the pub, pressed the key to open the van. New led headlights illuminated the campsite. I do not want to do this again tonight, I cannot understand the manual. Does anybody have a solution except for don’t go to the pub.

I know on a T5 this can be adjusted within VCDS or with a OBD dongle via something like Carista.

Generally this is disabled for the reasons you give above. There may on the T6 now be an option but on the T5 you had to get it adjusted via the OBD port.

First night in my new van, came back from the pub, pressed the key to open the van. New led headlights illuminated the campsite. I do not want to do this again tonight, I cannot understand the manual. Does anybody have a solution except for don’t go to the pub.

I’m not near my Cali at the moment but isn’t that when headlights are on Auto. Turn to off.

Mike

I think if you turn the headlight switch to the off position this will prevent the headlights coming on; the auto headlamp position illuminates the headlights on unlocking when it's dark ?

AS above. I found turning the lightswitch from "Auto" to "off" works.

Thanks for the help, Mark from North Yorkshire said to always leave it on auto & had set it. I have set it to off so I can go to the pub again tonight.

So many things to learn, it was much less complicated 50 years ago in my split screen.

Just a word of warning about auto lights....
The sensor does not usually detect fog so if you are caught in fog and expect to be well lit front and rear use manual 'on' position.

Having had my fair share of old bangers with ropey batteries in the past, I would never have dreamed of putting the lights on before the engine was running! It makes me very uncomfortable :Nailbiting the way modern cars switch on the lights and boot up sat nav etc the minute the key fob is pressed!

Is that not "coming home " function so they call it ?

Can also be turned off with Carista. I’ve changed mine so the fogs just come on. They are a little more subtle than the search light 300 MILLION candle power bright white light up the world LED headlights o_O

The function can be changed to bring the front fog lights on instead of the dip beams, this retains the 'coming home' function but is much more camp site friendly. It's a VCDS (Vagcom) configurable item.

Likewise in LED headlights you can enable DRLs to extinguish when the associated flashing indicator is activated. Maybe also on non LED lights, I've not tried it.

I've done both of these on my T6, the 'coming home' function for the OP's reason and the DRL / flasher change to make the indicators more obvious.

Anyone in north Shropshire (Telford / Shrewsbury) (or from further afield if you are willing to travel) want these changes give me a call 01952 242167.

Rod

Just a word of warning about auto lights....
The sensor does not usually detect fog so if you are caught in fog and expect to be well lit front and rear use manual 'on' position.
I agree. Was pulled over by police in my Passat on a really dull day. Not even foggy. I was in awe of my auto lights and keyless entry and didn’t realise that the lights weren’t on. The running lights aren’t good enough, so police lady patronisingly reached in and turn it to on for me!

I agree. Was pulled over by police in my Passat on a really dull day. Not even foggy. I was in awe of my auto lights and keyless entry and didn’t realise that the lights weren’t on. The running lights aren’t good enough, so police lady patronisingly reached in and turn it to on for me!

I wish there were a few more police people like that :sad

I have a real bee in the bonnet about people driving in poor conditions without lights.

Last February in mixed sleet and snow, really reduced visibility, high winds, on the M60 requiring frequent lane changes with a caravan on tow, my nerves were frazzled by the time I got South of Manchester. I would say probably close to the majority of vehicles were unlit. It was dreadful.

The function can be changed to bring the front fog lights on instead of the dip beams, this retains the 'coming home' function but is much more camp site friendly. It's a VCDS (Vagcom) configurable item.

Likewise in LED headlights you can enable DRLs to extinguish when the associated flashing indicator is activated. Maybe also on non LED lights, I've not tried it.

I've done both of these on my T6, the 'coming home' function for the OP's reason and the DRL / flasher change to make the indicators more obvious.

Anyone in north Shropshire (Telford / Shrewsbury) (or from further afield if you are willing to travel) want these changes give me a call 01952 242167.

Rod
In my 2018 Crafter i can configure various settings including coming home/leaving home on the MFD, no need for carista or VCDS.
I would've thought it would be the same on 2018 Calis?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Back