Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heading to continent or not in autumn ?

Annik

Annik

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We are looking to head to France and Spain for six weeks in September to October but Mrs Annik is worried about an outbreak of COVID whilst away and getting stuck abroad, I'm willing to take a gamble. What would you do ?

I would go but keep a close eye on developments.

my view is that there will be further outbreaks and lockdowns, difficult to predict where and how respective governments will deal with them. So it is all a bit uncertain and I understand your wife’s concerns. But I would go for it - suspect more likely outbreak will be later on in winter along with theFlu season. And then there is the Brexit uncertainty.

As with everything at the moment it's a crystal ball question.

Assuming you are both generally fit and healthy, don't plan to spend all day in close proximity to every other tourist on the Spanish beaches and avoid bars in happy hour I'd say what's different to being at home?

You'll need to shop for food, take exercise, etc. etc. just as here. I'd stock up on the masks, paracetamol, hand gel and gloves, put them in a box that hopefully you don't need to open and then find a quiet route to meander around, taking in the outdoor living, sights and sounds. Much like most Cali trips really.

All signs are a second wave will be in winter, unless you live in a town with questionable working practices. Enjoy.

Make sure that you are fully up to date with the rules and regulations in the countries that you are travelling through.

This applies to motoring as well as Covid-19.

Don't expect that the police will be as friendly and lenient as in the UK.

Many operate on the spot fines.

As much of the advice above, I would book and then keep a track of how things develop in the meantime...
Having driven from Scotland to England this week, I found England pretty scary in terms of lack of social distancing, face masks, etc. You may be pleasantly surprised when in Europe.

Although that doesn’t answer the question about getting stuck and not being able to return home. But again, if you keep an eye on the news when away, you should be able to make decisions and head home early if concerned...

We are looking to head to France and Spain for six weeks in September to October but Mrs Annik is worried about an outbreak of COVID whilst away and getting stuck abroad, I'm willing to take a gamble. What would you do ?

I can't really imagine a scenario where you would be "stuck abroad" unless one of you contracted coronavirus AND then needed urgent hospitalisation.

If there was a major outbreak in an area of France or Spain you were visiting, presumably you'd leave that area and travel somewhere else, or homewards. I can't see that the UK would prevent its own nationals from re-entering UK, the worst case might be you'd have to quarantine at home for 14 days when you got back. Remember, the Channel tunnel kept operating all through the lockdown period.

I assume you will be checking if your travel insurance will cover you for coronavirus risks (ours now does - Insureandgo) but in any case if you take EHIC cards you should be good for any emergency treatment even if it's not completely free of charge.

We're off to France and Italy next week and not especially concerned - it's only the continent, not the moon.

We would normally be heading off to mainland Europe for September and October but have probably given up on that idea at the moment. Interestingly enough, our annual C & CC travel insurance is up for renewal at end of August and they have emailed and just informed us that they have suspended renewals and are not taking on new insurance business at the moment because of Covid, due to closure of their call centre. Existing cover will be honoured such as repatriation but it certainly creates another layer of consideration if thinking to venture abroad.

You might want to take note of this which I posted a few days ago.

Decided to go late and have booked S/C cottages up in the Lakes and Northumberland Late Nov / Dec. Lets hope I can last 11months without a holiday.

I think that is the least of your worries.
Covid 19 will be around for years or until a vaccine has been developed or it mutates to a non virulent form.
I think the question you should ask yourselves is - If one of us contracts C19 and require hospital treatment in an emergency, are we happy to be admitted to a foreign hospital and will our partner be able to cope?
If the answer is Yes, then go for it.

Just remember you are not invincible/immune.

Reading about a family who are in (Malaga?)Spain on holiday, they said was quiet around and noticed people carrying masks , but when they spoke English On came the masks !

When the virus first popped up foreigners were allowed to travel through various countries and cross various borders to enable them to get home.

We are in Catalunya at the moment. 95% are wearing masks, social distancing appears to work on the beaches, & restaurants have much better spacing on the tables. Mon-Friday the village/ bay is at least 50% less people than normal.
Where we stay is very upmarket Spanish with no high rise no nightclubs & no English breakfast for a€1 & consequentially no drunk brits!
We are doing our usual & staying in a villa with pool & brought a lot more food with us so we could hopefully cope if locked down or isolating.

We don’t normally bother with insurance, but this time we have full medical with repatriation cover. The AA European breakdown cover we have on van means that would be recovered home if driver was ill.

France was empty driving down, the Millau bridge viewpoint car park had just 2 other cars in it at 11am on Thursday. & the stretch to Perpignan & on to the Spanish boarder which is normally like the M25 was empty.

The only other precaution we have taken is vari-plus tickets for Eurostar just in case we have to come home early or late.

All of the above but might be an idea to take a kamper hot water system great piece of kit (shop has them in last week) toilet cube and also this water purification system, gets rid of all virus and bacteria https://iconlifesaver.com/products/jerrycans/
Means what ever happens you can be self supporting apart from food

We have the toilet with us, have both the water tank full and Carry lots of 0.5litre bottles to throw in the fridge. So we could cope for a few days if we were stuck in the van.
Our biggest worry is that the France/ spAin border would shut. In which case google maps and a few mountain roads might be needed!

We did have a long hard think before coming out here but viewed it as a totally different proposition to jumping on easyJet & going to Benidorm.

You are as safe in your van in France and Spain as you are in the U.K., if not safer biggest risk is having to isolate when you get back. It is interesting walking around today In U.K. lots of folk can’t quite understand how and when to wear a mask, whereas in France last week it’s just the new norm.
Go on yr hols enjoy

From midnight tonight, All travellers from mainland Spain must self quarantine for 14 days on return to UK. Just on the 9pm news.

Heard that, hoping the next people in this villa cancel so we can extend our stay. I can work from here.& have laptop Wi-Fi etc with me. Need to be home for Xmas!

Nobody knows how things will be by then .
Rules change every week , sometimes day by day....
We are planning to go away in september , where off to , don't know yet , we will go where we are allowed to at that time and if i feel ok with it.

It is only July though, and they ain’t coming back till Oct, lots of changes between now and then.
The re instating of the 14 days gonna screw up a lot of folk away right now though

france will be next , infection rates going up a lot !

yea but if ur in the uk you don't need to worry about getting home or isolating .i am supposed to be going to switzerland on fri for 2 weeks , getting really cold feet , my mates bit more blasa about it though and pushing to go so kinda stuck in middle and unsure what to do

I can't really imagine a scenario where you would be "stuck abroad" unless one of you contracted coronavirus AND then needed urgent hospitalisation.

If there was a major outbreak in an area of France or Spain you were visiting, presumably you'd leave that area and travel somewhere else, or homewards. I can't see that the UK would prevent its own nationals from re-entering UK, the worst case might be you'd have to quarantine at home for 14 days when you got back. Remember, the Channel tunnel kept operating all through the lockdown period.

I assume you will be checking if your travel insurance will cover you for coronavirus risks (ours now does - Insureandgo) but in any case if you take EHIC cards you should be good for any emergency treatment even if it's not completely free of charge.

We're off to France and Italy next week and not especially concerned - it's only the continent, not the moon.
Hi Velma's Dad

We were thinking of Italy after the summer but speaking to one of Mrs Ks aunts over there. She advised their village in the south had just been locked down again, I would be interested to hear your thoughts and experience when you return.

Thanks
K

Back