Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heading towards 2024 With an Ascot Grey T6.1

MY24 I believe, built early Jul. It’s got a random ‘WIFI’ button on it which is the only thing different I can see from my previous MY21, and wasn’t on MY23, other than the bellows.
What made you decide to upgrade from 21 to 24?
Be interesting to know what the WiFi button does…

That’s a change then. My MY22 Ocean with sports pack does not have a heated windscreen. It does though have upgraded glass in the cab door windows.
Seems to have changed for MY23 as I’ve seen at least one 22 Cali with sports pack for sale on Autotrader without a heated windscreen as well.

Honestly - the worst thing with the VW configurators (or any, for that matter) is they change so frequently, that any knowledge/awarness of their current state seems to have changed 2-3 weeks later.
We were recently contemplat5ing a GC600 and the lack of options versus prior years is really surprising.

What made you decide to upgrade from 21 to 24?
Simple man maths - cost to change was virtually zero; so swapping to a new vehicle, new warranty, new service plan etc. was a no brainer. I was just offered far too much for the old one to ignore.

Be interesting to know what the WiFi button does…
Not a lot I expect. Something to do with the ‘Cali on the Road’ app according to the manual. Haven’t had a chance yet to figure quite what that is yet though.

MY24 I believe, built early Jul. It’s got a random ‘WIFI’ button on it which is the only thing different I can see from my previous MY21, and wasn’t on MY23, other than the bellows.
If you download the ‘California On Tour’ app you may find some extra mobile features will be introduced for MY24. There is a thread for the app with some more details.

One disadvantage with lighter colours! The insect population in Bordeaux has been decimated.

PXL_20230925_154224719.jpg

So got an email yesterday the California is in the U.K….. going to be a busy couple of weeks.
Wow and damn!, we ordered ours 17th August and apparently it’s ‘being built’… what dealer are you buying from?

So 600 miles driven home, what a refined motorway cruiser it was through the northwest of England and then Scotland, seems quieter than the 150 we hired in the summer but that could be more motorway miles today rather than the A Roads of Northern Scotland.

Some shots of the interior, although there is still plastic covering on the floor.

650A482B-4C92-4142-9A40-B9541448B844.jpeg

9AC52427-42F2-46A4-BC6B-DCFBA8E60276.jpeg

81D38E66-40FF-40AE-ADD0-3BAC941E96EA.jpeg

Last edited:
So after a summer of research and a lot of reading of the forum and a great 6 day hire of a 2023 California that we took to Orkney we have at the end of August.
We really enjoyed our holiday, driving about 600 to 700 miles.
So we ordered a California 6.1. Through Drive the Deal at the end of August, next spring delivery would have been ideal but I wanted to get an order in before the order book closes.
We wondered about waiting for the Multivan California but concluded by the time it makes the U.K. market, one arrives on a hire fleet so we could confirm it would work for us . And then ordered a van we could be talking very earliest 2025 spring before we had our own California. I would have liked the hybrid power plant in the Multivan.
After a good number of hours on the configurator and realising our early favourite specs - Starlight blue and Reflex Silver Twin was discontinued.

We have tended to buy metallic blue cars over the years so thought we would buy Starlight Blue, but after viewing a couple of Ascot Grey Californias over the summer and is always the way spotting a good number of Polos & T-Rocs in Ascot Grey in different lighting conditions we have decided on the following spec.

• 204 DSG
  • Ascot Grey Solid Paint
  • Sports Pack
  • Art Velours Interior
  • Wood Floor
  • Silver Inlays
  • Discover Sat Nav
  • Tow bar
  • High Beam Assist and TPMS

Will arrive when it arrives but looking forward to exploring Scotland and further afield, we’ve done a fair amount of driving holidays in Europe over the years but looking forward to using the California for this.
Thank-you everyone for all their insights that they have shared on this forum that informed our specification choices.
Great spec. Love my Ascot Grey with Sports pack. Kinda wish I’d gone for Art Velours…

So 600 miles driven home, what a refined motorway cruiser it was through the northwest of England and then Scotland, seems quieter than the 150 we hired in the summer but that could be more motorway miles today rather than the A Roads of Northern Scotland.

Some shots of the interior, although there is still plastic covering on the floor.

View attachment 117323

View attachment 117324

View attachment 117325
Just another little purchase to recommend (will the £££ ever stop exiting?
These Thule panels are fantastic…and almost Ascot grey!
https://www.thule.com/en-gb/rv-tent...le-sun-blocker-g2-side-200-m---small-_-307399

They look a good idea, had been thinking of buying a Dometic Hub.

They look a good idea, had been thinking of buying a Dometic Hub.
Yeah they look decent if you want an actual room. More faff, space and money needed though. The Thule sides zip on, peg out in a couple of minutes, screen views in but allow a view out, shield the rain and sun and baffle the wind. They also act as an awning tie-down, and take up very little space in the van. Recommended.

Yeah they look decent if you want an actual room. More faff, space and money needed though. The Thule sides zip on, peg out in a couple of minutes, screen views in but allow a view out, shield the rain and sun and baffle the wind. They also act as an awning tie-down, and take up very little space in the van. Recommended.
I have the Outwell fallcrest side panels and the Sunblocker front. Good combo for optimal privacy and a wind/sun/rain protection without totally obscuring the view.

Afternoon trip to Stonehaven with the Ocean, really enjoying the first month of ownership.

52D7F9AE-205C-41D4-944D-207D1C82143B.jpeg

F81232DE-2C16-4FBC-A565-BAD9684734F4.jpeg

A first overnight stay in Braemar last night, staying at the Braemar Caravan Park, temperature around 6 deg c so
Mild for Braemar in early February.

1A2033DE-32F4-4366-BF45-7D0C86A482BE.jpeg

C4559D7F-440F-46E1-AA27-EE32EADBC75C.jpeg

8EEE0F54-C5EC-47AC-85CF-0C43610316EE.jpeg