Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Headlights in Spain

SteveH

SteveH

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
We're off to Spain at the end of the week and I was looking at the instructions for the Eurolight headlight stickers. They don't list a California but they do have an entry for a Caravelle which refers you to the Transporter section. They list either standard or Projector/Xenon entries. I didn't order anything special for my 2017 Beach and the configuration simply says halogen headlights. I am assuming I should position for standard headlights. Anyone else able to confirm this?

We're off to Spain at the end of the week and I was looking at the instructions for the Eurolight headlight stickers. They don't list a California but they do have an entry for a Caravelle which refers you to the Transporter section. They list either standard or Projector/Xenon entries. I didn't order anything special for my 2017 Beach and the configuration simply says halogen headlights. I am assuming I should position for standard headlights. Anyone else able to confirm this?
Correct. Standard Halogen.

Not that anyone will really check.

Unless you are going to be driving through the night
i wouldn´t bother with headlight stickers.

Thanks for the answers. I did wonder how strict they would be. We are going to drive back through France, are the gendarmes more likely to check than Spanish police?

Thanks for the answers. I did wonder how strict they would be. We are going to drive back through France, are the gendarmes more likely to check than Spanish police?
No, i wouldn´t think anyone will check your lights.
Unless its national headlight checking day. o_O

Yes, the French are more likely to check.
Macron's on a road safety purge at the mo.
Also don't forget the speed limits in France on single carriageway roads come down in July

Not the cheapest but probably the best option in my view, is to buy the headlight protectors from your local van centre which come with the right shaped black stick on patch to that will block the dazzling part of the beam. Easy to fit and reusable year after year. £40 when I bought a pair 4 years ago and have used then every year since.

When you enter a tunnel in France you have to put on your lights. The French can get a little arsey if you are dazzling them.

Alan

I would also recommend VW headlight protectors, they come with the adhesive deflectors and have marks so you can re fit or replace them each year. I recall reading that you should not stick deflectors directly onto the headlight as the heat build up can cause stress cracking, that could turn expensive.

We have been to France a few times now and though we have a couple of stickers on board we have never fitted them and no-one has checked. We don't drive much in the dark and if it gets foggy we only use the spots which are not directional.

We have been to France a few times now and though we have a couple of stickers on board we have never fitted them and no-one has checked. We don't drive much in the dark and if it gets foggy we only use the spots which are not directional.
In Italy you have to use dipped headlights all the time. I believe it’s the same in scandinavian countries.
Mine has halogen H7 lights and it’s easy to fit the converters.

Can’t image that the pathetic headlights on my 2013 Beach would dazzle anyone. Worried about putting beam deflectors on and reducing the light level even more, my head torch throws out more light, might have to wear that to drive at night.

In Italy you have to use dipped headlights all the time. I believe it’s the same in scandinavian countries.
I never bothered with Dipped Headlights in Scandinavia but on my vehicle the DRL's are in the headlights so they look as if they are on anyway. Most modern vehicles with LED DRL's just used those.

I did asked my local dealer last year, who said headlight protectors were not available for the T6. Might have changed now tho??

edit just had a google and seems they are now available :headbang

Can’t image that the pathetic headlights on my 2013 Beach would dazzle anyone. Worried about putting beam deflectors on and reducing the light level even more, my head torch throws out more light, might have to wear that to drive at night.
I wasn’t too impressed with my headlight performance so I got GE megalights +130. Not cheap but a lot less expensive than the LEDs I was considering.

I have a T6 Ocean and was told by my local VW dealer that they had checked and beam deflectors were not needed as the halogen bulbs (H7) were a flat beam. Spent two months in France last year, drove regularly at night, and did not have problem.

I have a T6 Ocean and was told by my local VW dealer that they had checked and beam deflectors were not needed as the halogen bulbs (H7) were a flat beam. Spent two months in France last year, drove regularly at night, and did not have problem.
I think your vw dealer is wrong.
The headlight ´footprint´on a RHD car swings to the left, LHD to the right.
Even though you didn´t have a problem you would have slightly blinded
oncoming traffic.
My light are adjustable so i wind them down when in blighty.

He took my registration number and checked with VW.

He took my registration number and checked with VW.
Thats a new one on me Paz, H7 flat beam.

Each time i import a vehicle into blighty and vice versa,
one of the first jobs to pass the MOT is the headlight re-alighnment.

I have never bothered in Spain and have been driving my car/Campi since 2003. Maybe just luck?

I have never bothered in Spain and have been driving my car/Campi since 2003. Maybe just luck?
Probably luck! I’ve got an Ocean with H7s and they definitely kick up to the left. However been driving trucks abroad for many years (I’m now 66) and never used deflectors without a problem. One of my colleagues did use them and got pulled in Italy for decorating his headlights!
I use them on the Ocean abroad to lessen the chances of a pull.

In Italy you need lights on at the front on the Autostrade not the nationals or in town. In any case DRLs suffice.

Back