Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heated Wing Mirrors

nickdrums

nickdrums

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Here's a thing: I drove a courtesy van yesterday as my T6 Cali was in with VW, and wondered why the loan van wing mirror adjuster knob was in a 2 o'clock position - I've only ever used the left-neutral-right and fold-up positions, as the symbol in the 2 o'clock position is obscured by the knob itself, so I didn't realise there WAS a 2 o'clock position! I was jealous to note that the courtesy van had a heated mirrors setting here, and then surprised and delighted to find that my van had it too when I got it back.

Posting this in case anyone else hadn't spotted it - if not you are welcome to smirk at how dense I have been.

Here's a thing: I drove a courtesy van yesterday as my T6 Cali was in with VW, and wondered why the loan van wing mirror adjuster knob was in a 2 o'clock position - I've only ever used the left-neutral-right and fold-up positions, as the symbol in the 2 o'clock position is obscured by the knob itself, so I didn't realise there WAS a 2 o'clock position! I was jealous to note that the courtesy van had a heated mirrors setting here, and then surprised and delighted to find that my van had it too when I got it back.

Posting this in case anyone else hadn't spotted it - if not you are welcome to smirk at how dense I have been.

I’d driven 35,000 miles and visited the four extreme compass points of the European Union mainland before I discovered the wing mirror heater. You have done well to find the feature so soon.

Haha thank you. It had struck me as odd not to have one given how important the wing mirrors are in a van.

If you are on a campsite after dark and as you walk towards the Cali you press the button to unlock it - the headlights come on and illuminate all the tents in front of you. Very impressive with LED headlights.
It took me a while to find out that if you turn the headlight control off the auto setting by turning it anti-clockwise one click it stops this. I've subsequently told a few people about this and many of them hadn't found out how to disable this feature.
That's why the Forum is so useful and going to a local Meet is also a great way of picking up tips.

I was told that it is always on when in the heated position and not on a
timer, so i always try to remember to leave it on the L or R.
But i know someone who has left it on for 5 years, no bother.
Handy for drying the rain off the mirrors.

I’d driven 35,000 miles and visited the four extreme compass points of the European Union mainland before I discovered the wing mirror heater. You have done well to find the feature so soon.
"During the war" Yes okay Unkle Albert. :)

Was a year after I bought mine that I discovered I had heated mirror at 2 o Clock

View attachment 44714

I was told that it is always on when in the heated position and not on a
timer, so i always try to remember to leave it on the L or R.
But i know someone who has left it on for 5 years, no bother.
Handy for drying the rain off the mirrors.
My understanding was that the door mirror heating only operated when you pulled the knob towards the symbol. I thought it was also timed so didn't stay on permanently.

Alan

Accidentally folded my mirrors when turning the knob the wrong way to the heated position. Not a good design as no indication that they are on.

If I listen carefully, I can hear a relais ticking when I switch them to the heating position.

My understanding was that the door mirror heating only operated when you pulled the knob towards the symbol. I thought it was also timed so didn't stay on permanently.

Alan
Agree. Checked that they switched off after about 10-15 mins with an infra red thermometer.

My mirror jammed up last year. I managed to get it back into position but am told I’ll have to get a new mirror and it’ll cost a fortune to synch them.
Any thoughts?

There's an adaptation with Carista, ObdEleven or VAGCom that can link the heating of the mirrors to the rear Window heating element (for those without double glazing). This deals with the timing and no mistakes on the twiddly knob.

Back