Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heater install

Simons17

Simons17

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi all

I am sure there will be threads on this. But I am not so clever with a PC. My question is has anyone had the diesel heater retro fitted to a my 68 beach ? My concern is that the van is under warranty and I dont want to effect it,by adding none vw stuff or unapproved work.

If you've had one fitted was it done by vw and if not is there any approved garages that can do it? Happy to travel if required.

Does anyone have any pictures of the install and does it operate like the ocean version.

The picture attached is of an ocean vent into the cab.

Cheers

Simon

20190811_111401.jpg

That's not an ocean vent. The standard vents out of the b pillar on the ocean and on the beach if fitted factory. The intake is in the drivers door step. Even so. Many people have after market installs and it is possible to do with the proper vents. Webasto seems to be the most popular even though vw use eberspacher for the air heater. You would have to ask vw themselves about warranty issues. Good luck.

my heater, factory fitted and fuel heater are Webasto
Not on a t6. And there isn't a fuel heater. Webasto is the coolant heater that kicks in below 5 degrees. Eberspacher is the air heater you control your self on the panel.

How would fitting a heater affect warranty?

My understanding (having asked the same question previously when I was looking to buy a 2nd hand beach without heater) is that installing a 3rd party heater would affect the warranty on the parts of the van that were affected by the installation but not the rest of the van.

The Coolant heater has always been Webasto and the Parking Heater was Webasto but changed, I believe, around 2010 to the Eberspacher.
I believe the Heaters come with a number of Labels, one being the original and others copies to be placed around the vehicle on the Heater and paperwork with the vehicle.

I had mine fitted by Slidepods, a Webasto 2000 airtop. I had mine placed so the vent exits in the seat base but you can get the factory vents in the B pillar if you really want but it was quite a lot of labour and more cutting.

The air intake is usually placed in the drivers footwell/step and I woudl recommend getting the "room temp sensor" fitted too whilst you are there. The thermostat can be inaccurate taking the air temp from the step. The rest of the van is toasty and the step still cool so it over heats in some weather.

Interesting thread here: although I now have am inset vent colour coded which looks lovely.

The wording on the top sticker would suggest to me that it’s not a factory fit, but a dealer fit by someone who has gone to the trouble of getting hold of the sticker to put on the door jamb.
was factory. with a control panel in the roof which factory fitted heaters get

That's not an ocean vent. The standard vents out of the b pillar on the ocean and on the beach if fitted factory. The intake is in the drivers door step. Even so. Many people have after market installs and it is possible to do with the proper vents. Webasto seems to be the most popular even though vw use eberspacher for the air heater. You would have to ask vw themselves about warranty issues. Good luck.
Thank you. VW say the will cover everything but the heater

Aftermarket Eberspacher heaters with the correct controller will also provide unheated air circulation. Maybe not useful with the B post vents but with a directable vent under a front seat can be useful in hot weather.

Good point I hadn't thought of that, my webasto can do fan without heate rtoo. I have this controller which has a ventillation mode as well as heater mode. Maybe thats one advantage over a factory one?

1565955492369.png

Hi @MattBW , does that Webasto controller provide full thermostat control over the cabin temperature? i.e. does it have a digital display that you can set a temperature and a sensor in the cabin not in the intake duct?
I use Eberspacher Airtronic heaters with an 801 controller with the external (in the controller instead of in the heater unit) sensor which seem to work well.

Yes it is thermostat based controller, you can set the temperature you want. However the air intake is in the front step which in my experience is always the coldest part of the van. For that reason I always recommend a room temperature sensor in the rear area to make it much more accurate.

We had an Eberspacher fitted by the main dealer in Manchester. A little over £1000 with a timer. The Beach specs from the dealer were wrong and we thought it would have the parking heater (complex issue not helped by the parking heater being called by different names by VW). We were given two places by the dealer where we could get the heater fitted - no warranty issues mentioned. A non-standard part was required for the fuel take off - different to the one needed to retrofit to an ordinary Transporter but available from Eberspacher. We had a hot air input fitted to the rear base of the drivers seat - looks ok. Plumbing it into the existing vents would be more expensive. The heater controls are not easy to understand (translation issues and some words in original German e.g. if you want the heater on in the morning the time is referred to as the departure time and if you set the heat for an hour it comes on an hour before the departure time. It is well worth it though (nice in the winter - 18C is warm enough!) and it will add value to the van.

Hi all

I am sure there will be threads on this. But I am not so clever with a PC. My question is has anyone had the diesel heater retro fitted to a my 68 beach ? My concern is that the van is under warranty and I dont want to effect it,by adding none vw stuff or unapproved work.

If you've had one fitted was it done by vw and if not is there any approved garages that can do it? Happy to travel if required.

Does anyone have any pictures of the install and does it operate like the ocean version.

The picture attached is of an ocean vent into the cab.

Cheers

Simon

View attachment 48657
I had this Webatsto unit installed by the Westfalia agency in Vic, Spain, for free because the 2014 Beach they imported for me from Germany was supposed to have the parking heater, but instead had the programable engine coolant heater (which, by the way, I love). I consider the parking heater an absolute necessity, it lets me wild camp anywhere any season, but the location is so stupid, passengers step on it and break it (we are often 7 guys skiing in the Alps or biking around La Rioja). I will wind up biting the bullet and paying someone to reroute the heater to an original VW outlet on the B pillar.

It is funny reading some of these I bought mine as an ex demo car and the dealer go confused between the zoned air con and the park heater on mine.

Back