Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heater only with battery

T

tomcat_ave

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi All,

I wanted to know how long can stay the heater tuned on only with battery, without power supply.

I have a Cali T6 beach of year 2018.

Thank you

Hi All,

I wanted to know how long can stay the heater tuned on only with battery, without power supply.

Thank you

I have had the heater continuously on for 10 days but with some driving in between that would have recharged the battery.

I would say - also depends on the health of your battery (and of course, the quantity of diesel in your tank.

Hi All,

Thank you
Really depends on the ambient temperature and the temperature setting on the heater.
its the starting up that uses a lot of power rather than the continuous running.
if set too high for the outside temperature then the heater can fluctuate between On and Off and that can be power hungry, but get it right so it heats up and then goes into continuous maintenance mode and it can go for quit a while.

2-3 days, with the auxiliary heater continuously on...
oh wow! thanks a lot. I was fearing to not survive the night! that is good news!
It will drain only the second battery and not the engine battery, am I correct?

Thanks again!

Really depends on the ambient temperature and the temperature setting on the heater.
its the starting up that uses a lot of power rather than the continuous running.
if set too high for the outside temperature then the heater can fluctuate between On and Off and that can be power hungry, but get it right so it heats up and then goes into continuous maintenance mode and it can go for quit a while.
thank you! I want just to survive one night, usually I use power 2 max 3.

Thanks

oh wow! thanks a lot. I was fearing to not survive the night! that is good news!
It will drain only the second battery and not the engine battery, am I correct?

Thanks again!
Yes, you will only drain the two leisure batteries onboard.
You can monitor the voltage in the over head panel. 12,6-12,8 V is 100%. When you are running the heater or other things, it will drop gradually. Pretty fast down to 12,3-12,4 v where most amps are harvested. The eventually decrease to under 12 v, and when you reach 11.8 or around that, I consider the batteries to be drained and I will then charge the batteries (running the engine or hook up cable) as soon as possible to keep them healthy. You also have percentage in the overhead panel to guide you, but it is not always accurate....

thank you! I want just to survive one night, usually I use power 2 max 3.

Thanks
That shouldn't be a problem. I do that frequently on my travels in Norway.

Yes, you will only drain the two leisure batteries onboard.
You can monitor the voltage in the over head panel. 12,6-12,8 V is 100%. When you are running the heater or other things, it will drop gradually. Pretty fast down to 12,3-12,4 v where most amps are harvested. The eventually decrease to under 12 v, and when you reach 11.8 or around that, I consider the batteries to be drained and I will then charge the batteries (running the engine or hook up cable) as soon as possible to keep them healthy. You also have percentage in the overhead panel to guide you, but it is not always accurate....
Thanks a ton!
Well I believe my version in the panel hasn't the battery level, but I have seen in youtube that certain versions of the California they do have it.
When I bought I was told that there is one battery for the engine under the hood and the second battery under the seat is for the backside of the van.
What I mean is, will the heather in case drain only battery 2 or both of them?
My concern is about starting the engine since in automatic gear I cannot push and start the van in case of drained batteries..

Thanks a ton!
Well I believe my version in the panel hasn't the battery level, but I have seen in youtube that certain versions of the California they do have it.
When I bought I was told that there is one battery for the engine under the hood and the second battery under the seat is for the backside of the van.
What I mean is, will the heather in case drain only battery 2 or both of them?
My concern is about starting the engine since in automatic gear I cannot push and start the van in case of drained batteries..
The heater only works off the Leisure Battery. It would be worthwhile getting a voltmeter that plugs into one of the 12v sockets in the rear of the vehicle.
If you have Mains hook up you should plug the vehicle into the mains monthly to fully charge the leisure battery, for a minimum 12 hrs.