Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heater operation

M

MurrayR

Can someone explain the operation of the heater? Does the number 1 - 10 mean anything for setting the temperature? The heater is not working at present and I am wondering that it only works below 10 degrees C. We are getting lows of 12 degrees at present. We may just need to wait until it is colder.

Hi there I have just been out to check for you.the vans temp gauge says 11 degrees. I switched the heater on at no 10
It came on about 2 mins of cold air the fan speeded up and then changed to hot air so mine worked ok at that temp
I think the numbers 1-10 are like heat settings 10 obviously the hottest. I hope this is of some help. Although I havnt used my heater very much at all. I think Barry who lives in Scotland would be the man to ask about the heater.

Yup.
The bigger the number; the hotter the inblown air.

Thank you for your replies. I will have to look at the fuse etc. It has only worked once since we bought it a Christmas. Will let you know what I find. :thumb

Have checked the fuses and they are ok. Can anyone can shed any light on the troubleshooting for the heater?
One morning last month the heater started all by itself in the morning and I quickly turned it off at the control console. At the time I thought I must have pushed the control push button by accident. Does it matter that the remote control has no control of the heater at present? I guess it is batteries required for the remote.

Could it be the earth shunt issue?

In my own Cal ithe remote's failure didn't affect the norma lrunning of the heater.
(Remote died in it's 4.5th year of use - dead battery).

I think I'dtake the problem to the man.
Anything with electronic controls is normally outside the realms of we big hammer boys.
Good luck

Hi, I picked up our new Cali yesterday and I am in the process of trying to check whether everything works ok. Whilst waiting in a car park this morning I tried the auxiliary heater on setting 7. The outside temp was roughly 10 oC. I could hear a noise from front right of the vehicle and cold air was being blown from the vents by the pillar. Even after waiting for 7 or 8 minutes the air being blown into to the vehicle did not warm up.

Can anyone let me know how long it normally takes to heat up ? Is the temperature of the air being blown linked to a thermostat in the car which could explain why we were only getting cold air (assuming the interior temp was high originally) ?

Hope I don't need to make a visit to VW so soon and there is a simple explanation,

Mark.

Calimark said:
Can anyone let me know how long it normally takes to heat up ?
Hi Mark, I normally have heat within two minutes easily and setting 7 should bring heat even on a Summers day as we find setting 1 too warm at night!

I hope it's just a glitch....try it from inside the back as it's easier to monitor the heat and you should also be able to hear the fuel pump...light annoying tick :roll:

Chris

Hi, thanks for the quick response. I assume that the only aux heater vents are by the pillar between the drivers door and rear sliding door (2 in total). If so then it was blowing cold air only from these 2 Vents.

:idea: Try setting the overhead disply to Leisure Battery then try it again and check what the display shows!

Chris

Display showed 80% battery falling to 70% within a minute but still only blowing cold air. As the car is new I am going to put it on charge for 24 hrs and see if that makes a difference.

Hi Chris,

I tried again after an overnight charge (battery now showing 100%) it worked fine which means it must have been a battery level issue. This is surprising because it was showing 80% yesterday when it didn't work.

Mark.

Mark the reading you get is not that accurate to be fair. My heater worked with70% battery showing it then
Went down to 40% for 30 min and was fine.
Glad it is ok now :thumb :thumb

Hi
I tried my heater today and blew cold air, i thought the leisure battery must be flat ( showing 80?), if i plug the hook up in will this charge the battery?
Sorry to hijack the thread.
paul

Yes it will charge the leisure battery when you are plugged in :thumb

Thank you, i havent used it much in march so hopefully the heater will work now. :grin:

Working correctly the heater will blow warm air very quickly from the Vent near the sliding door.

Had the hook up plugged in and its charged my leisure battery ( if thats wat you call it ) and me heater is working- i must remember to charge it once a month when im not using it but it should be used a lot more now- thanks for the replies.
paul

I have our Kiwi Cali back from having the heater serviced. Intake is at the step of the drivers door for us and the heater had locked up after three faults. Suspect the vents must have been blocked causing the faults. Looking forward to using the heater as we are heading into winter.

Heater is now going thanks to the heater agent. I fitted a new battery in the remote but the remote does not function. I get no response from the remote. The LED flashes in both the on and off function. Any ideas what is wrong?

You may have to pair the remote with the heater.

I seem to recall it's in the owners manual.

I found this in an online manual -

Programming Telestart Transmitter

1. Place batteries into the battery compartment of the transmitter.
2. Remove fuse 1A (black) from the heater’s fuse holder (voltage interruption).
3. Wait at least 5 seconds.
4. Replace fuse in heater’s fuse holder and within 5 seconds press the OFF
button on the transmitter for at least 1 second.
5. "Learning" is completed.
A second or third hand-held transmitter can be programmed in the same manner.
NOTE:
The learning process can be repeated as often as necessary. The "oldest"
transmitter will be deleted each time.

Stu said:
I found this in an online manual -

Programming Telestart Transmitter

1. Place batteries into the battery compartment of the transmitter.
2. Remove fuse 1A (black) from the heater’s fuse holder (voltage interruption).
3. Wait at least 5 seconds.
4. Replace fuse in heater’s fuse holder and within 5 seconds press the OFF
button on the transmitter for at least 1 second.
5. "Learning" is completed.
A second or third hand-held transmitter can be programmed in the same manner.
NOTE:
The learning process can be repeated as often as necessary. The "oldest"
transmitter will be deleted each time.

Thanks for this Stu - been trawling the net for days now trying to find a solution to my non-working heater remote on our newly purchased nearly new Cali.

One question - any idea where the heater fuse holder is?!

Cheers,
Steve

Back