Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heater options

P

Per Jonsson

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hello!
I'm looking to buy a 2010 or newer Beach in Germany. I live in Sweden, hence the absolute need for a heater:
1: do all t5s come with a diesel heater to help keep engine temp up when it's cold outside? I have a 2009 Multivan with a Webasto unit that turns on automatically when temp drops below certain temp, it can also be used for defrosting and heating cabin for up to say, one hour. No settings, just full heat. I guess this type of heater must be standard on diesels since they tend to run cold.
2: in some ads the term luftheizung is used. Is this a cabin heater only that doesn't help with keeping engine temp up? If luftheizung is fitted, will there be no heater for the engine?

I'm scared of ending up with a van with no engine water heater, I think it would damage the engine. Last week it's been -10 c , not unusual.
Would greatly appreciate any help with translating these heizung options!
Also, great forum, lots of valuable info here!
Per

Hello!
I'm looking to buy a 2010 or newer Beach in Germany. I live in Sweden, hence the absolute need for a heater:
1: do all t5s come with a diesel heater to help keep engine temp up when it's cold outside? I have a 2009 Multivan with a Webasto unit that turns on automatically when temp drops below certain temp, it can also be used for defrosting and heating cabin for up to say, one hour. No settings, just full heat. I guess this type of heater must be standard on diesels since they tend to run cold.
2: in some ads the term luftheizung is used. Is this a cabin heater only that doesn't help with keeping engine temp up? If luftheizung is fitted, will there be no heater for the engine?

I'm scared of ending up with a van with no engine water heater, I think it would damage the engine. Last week it's been -10 c , not unusual.
Would greatly appreciate any help with translating these heizung options!
Also, great forum, lots of valuable info here!
Per
The California , Beach or SE/Ocean should always have the Webasto Engine Coolant Heater, which is automatic in function but can be modified to come on before Engine start to defrost the vehicle. Maximum time is normally 30 mins as it is power hungry and can easily drain engine battery.

The California can also have the Eberspacher Diesel Parking Heater that warms just the vehicle interior. This is standard on the SE/Ocean but an optional extra on the Beach.
This is, in fact a must have according to many owners.

Thanks welshgas! That is what I thought. I would definitely like to have the parking heater. In my Multivan, after a few nights things get damp. I also found the term standheizung in som ads. I suspect that it would translate into parking heater.

Standheizung is definitely the German term for the parking heater. Sorry I can't remember what the coolant heater is called!

Check the door sticker - they are not standard fit on the beach. Mine has parking heater but not engine heater. It depends on model year and options ordered.

It's a 'schtayfugencosyheiz' I believe.

Check the door sticker - they are not standard fit on the beach. Mine has parking heater but not engine heater. It depends on model year and options ordered.
I think you will find that European vehicles, LHD, had the Webasto as standard and that is what the OP is enquiring about, NOT a UK vehicle.
UK vehicles often have a lesser spec with more options as paid for extras rather than standard.

Just open the door on the left hand side .
If there are two stickers in de doorframe you got both.
I think all Cali's from 2010 and later must have the engine coolant heater as standard , but do check!
I only seen my coolant heater kicking in once , but the cabinheater - standheitzung is in use frequent and is a must have ! That is not standard on a Beach so do look out and ask to test it to make sure it is actualy there on 2nd hand ...
Hope you find your dreammachine soon!

The Coolant Heater should be a Webasto Thermotop C, if you have the sticker on the door then you are good.

Excellent info. Thanks everybody. I did learn German in school ages ago, but unfortunately there wasn´t any focus on campervan terms!
When searching on mobile.de it seems that prices for used Beaches and full Comfortlines aren´t that much apart. Hmm. A proper Cali with kitchen and all the heizungs you could ever want is a little tempting.
What got me into the Beach was the simplicity, fewer things to go wrong. What do you think, is the kitchen, fridge, electric roof fragile things that always go wrong in the end?

You should search for luft standheizung, that is what you need. Wasser standheizung is standard and helps to keep engine warm.
Usually price is an indicator in germany, vehicles with the proper heater usually has more equipment as standard as well.
I dont think price is a factor when buying a beach over a se or ocean, when you equip a new beach with the standard stuff on the se the price wont differ much.
I like 4wd and be able to transport more than 4 at the same time as well as using the van for transport purposes so Ocean was not a true option.

I think as described bevor ...there are sometimes 3 heaters...
1) a heating in GERMAN called Zuheizer, this function is active below -5°C. The main reason for that is to heat the Drivercabin area. As also described bevor...there is nothing to switch or regulate.
2) The other heating is called in GERMAN sometimes Luftheizung sometimes Standheizung. In GERMAN Luft is the medium which transports the heating energy. Stand means is is mainly used during Parking, but I use it sometimes to warm up the Cali during the first 2-5 km.
3) If you are driving the engine is producing (as in every car but not in E-cars) also heating energy which was used to heat the cabin.

Sorry for my bad english its not my mother language (I'm a german).

Back