Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heater remote control kaputttt

barry

barry

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Diesel heater working fine but remote control is inoperative.
That is, no lights; no action.

The heater is used several times a week but it is several months since `i used the remote.
The heater is OK manually.

I guess there's a battery and I guess it's flat?
Or does it charge inductively from the running Cali?

The Cali's 4.5 years old.

I'm sure I should brave the -1C cold this morning (Glasgow) and go out and get the manual.
But this post is the warmer solution.
:)

I'm not sure Barry but I would say its like your door key remote and has a separate little battery
That could need replacing.lets hope so anyway. It may also need a recode but again not sure prehaps Alex from smg
Can find out for you

Just dismantled it and it needs a battery, CaliKev.
I'd not thought about a recode being needed.
Hope not.

Let's hope not. Like I said I'm not sure how it connects to the heater
Hope you get it sorted barry

Barry, my remote battery failed last month, got me worried as well with some people having problems with their remote. Don't use mine often so the battery must have just run down naturally.
Got a new battery, (from Amazon), hard to source cheaply elsewhere being 3v.
Suspect yours will be fine with a new battery.

Hubert

Thanks Hubert I'll have a look on Amazon today. Barry

Don't believe it will need recoding. Easy to access the battery and change it though.

cheers

Battery part number 1K0915089 from your friendly dealer...

Cost around £9

Should be cheaper elsewhere, but it is a fairly unusual size.

Mine went dead after two years with almost no use.

Didn't need recoding.

M

This battery is available from Amazon for £2.95 inc P&P ... search for Duracell Dl1/3N Lithium

Can anyone please tell me if the remote has to be paired with the vehicle when first using it ?

If so, how is this done ?

Have never used the remote but would like to try now to warm up / defrost the vehicle in the morning because that the cold weather is approaching rapidly !!!!

Thanks

It doesn't have to be coded for first-time use.

Just in case anybody ever breaks or loses their heater remote - I now have a spare, which I could sell on.

I thought we had lost ours, and eventually bought a replacement. Found it yesterday, tucked inside the passenger seat pocket, behind the zipped INCA cover!! Thanks kids. :cry:

If they don't need to be coded does that mean if I turn mine on at a cali meet via remote I will turn everyone's on ?

Sorry, I didn't explain that very well. Each remote is coded to a particular heater, but you don't have to code any remote that was supplied with the van. When I bought a replacement remote, my VW dealer charged me an extra 50 pounds to code it. It was just a 10 minute job.

I can now keep one in the van, and one in the house to warm the van up when it is frosty!

My Heater remote batteries went flat recently so I took one into town and managed to buy some replacements in Dixon's (or is it called Curries now) :thumb

John

My Heater remote batteries went flat recently so I took one into town and managed to buy some replacements in Dixon's (is it part of PC World now) :thumb

John

Batteryd- is AKA LR44 / A76

Sorry to hijack, but can anyone explain how the remote works - I suspect mine needs relinking to the heater as it just flashes rapidly.

But, I don't see how a remote with 'on/off' on it replaces all the button pushing I have to do in the van to get the heater on...

So does anyone have an idiots guide?

cheers
Ian

When mine does the rapid red flashing it normally means its out of range, if I get a bit closer and press the on button I get the slow pulsing green LED which means it is activated.

But, I don't see how a remote with 'on/off' on it replaces all the button pushing I have to do in the van to get the heater on...

The remote only switches heater on & off, does not alter heat setting. Just press left button to switch & it flashes green as it fires up as Martin says.

no, when you turn the heater on via remote it will turn the control panel on, however when you turn it off ( via remote) the control panel will stay on.

Mine flashes red and no longer will start the aux heater, what does that mean? Batteries flat?

Cancel that! It has suddenly started working fine!!

Does anyone have a definitive answer regarding the heater remote?
I have read all available posts and am rapidly losing the will to live.
From what I can see the remote is saying (by the flashing of lights) that it should be working but nothing happens.
I have a 2006 SE California can anyone tell me where the receiver is located without me resorting to pulling the van apart in my quest.
The remote has a brand new battery fitted for info of those that reply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk