Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heater service

Private_Kelly

Private_Kelly

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Can anyone tell me if it is advisable or recommended to get the heater serviced. My van is a 2010 SE and the heater works fine but has never been serviced. It may be a case of if it ain’t broke....

Can anyone tell me if it is advisable or recommended to get the heater serviced. My van is a 2010 SE and the heater works fine but has never been serviced. It may be a case of if it ain’t broke....
VW won’t/can’t service it.
If you did want it serviced then it would have to be an Eberspacher Agent.

There isn’t that much to go wrong with them in reality, and getting it Serviced/Repaired when it faulters is probably a reasonable course of action. It’s worthwhile, apparently, to run the heater upto temperature on a monthly basis unless used on a regular basis.

Webasto website now says, from their Q&A page...

Do Webasto heaters need to be serviced? Is a regular technical inspection needed?
Generally no! Webasto heaters are maintenance-free and do not have to be inspected every two years. We only recommend operating the heater every two months for 10-15min.

Eberspacher Airtronic page now says, from their Q&A page...

DOES AN EBERSPÄCHER DIESEL FUELLED HEATER REQUIRE SPECIAL SERVICE?
No – the equipment is maintenance-free after installation. However, it should be turned on briefly every month for about 10 minutes.

If you need either type serviced use one of the major Eberspacher or Webasto suppliers / installers.

I think both types used to recommend annual or bi-annual servicing but that seems to have been dropped from their recommendations.

We had a webasto heater in our boat and I once asked the rep on their stand at the boat show. He told me to run it til it stops, then remove it and send it to a dealer for refurb. We lived on the boat so it got some stick, it lasted 7 years before it stopped, and £600 to fix

I didn’t think that was too bad, although we sold the boat the year after

Thx for all your replies. I have had nothing serviced on the habitation side of my van but everything works fine so i guess i’ll use the “if it ain’t broke” clause.