Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heating cost

D

dale

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
If diesel cost £1.20 per Ltr and I left aux heater on for 10 hours what would be the cost

Minimal cost. It uses so little fuel and would not stay on for 10 hours anyway as the thermostat would cut it out when up to temperature.

From what I remember it works out at an average of 100ml of diesel per hour but that is based on it being on medium temperature setting, most of us have it on the lowest setting so for a Cali it will be a lot less. Also as Rich states the thermostat will be cutting in as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The question in the OP is answerable to any useful degree without stating the temperature parameters. As with all heating systems, the fuel used is a direct function of the maintained temperature difference (inside versus outside).

So to maintain an internal temperature of say 20 degrees, and your fuel use for that is x litres per hour when the outside temperature is 10 deg, then it will be 2x at zero deg, and 3x at minus 10.

The other major variable - assuming the insulation U-values of all Calis are the same - although in fact they will vary between model years - will be ventilation losses and that of course depends how much you keep the windows, pop top etc, open.

But it might b helpful to add that I've several times run the heater on low setting all night on a cold UK winter's night and couldn't see any shift in the fuel gauge the next morning.

I have mine on all night at present, 7pm through to 10am.

Ever so smug. This morning everyone was out scraping ice off their windscreens, ice plastered over everything. Albert sat there immaculate, not even a drop of moisture on him :D

No difference on the fuel gauge.

An an item of (geeky) interest, I just tried to find if there are any published U values (ie conductive heat loss parameters) for the main parts of a Cali. I couldn't find any but it would be fun if anyone had them - or I might try to estimate them roughly.

However... the Eberspacher Airtronic D2 heater (I think the model used in the Cali) uses, according to its data sheet, up to 0.28 litres per hour but that is at its max output of 2,200 watts. However imagine blowing a 2kW fan heater into a Cali and even on a very cold night you'd certainly only have to run it in short bursts or you'd have meat falling off the bone.

So I'd be very surprised if, on a freezing UK night and unless you had all the windows wide open, you'd use more than maybe 0.1 litres per hour, and probably less.

But as I said before, it depends enormously on the outside temperature.

I have mine on all night at present, 7pm through to 10am.

Ever so smug. This morning everyone was out scraping ice off their windscreens, ice plastered over everything. Albert sat there immaculate, not even a drop of moisture on him :D

No difference on the fuel gauge.

Evening GrannyJen! I have been popping the heater on for an hour or two over the past few evenings as the Cali isn't being driven much at the mo and the inside was getting a bit 'drippy' (the other car is a land rover which i prefer to use day to day if there's any ice in the sticks!) - I guess that's why you have your heating on from 7-10 / I wondered what setting people leave theirs on overnight?

An an item of (geeky) interest, I just tried to find if there are any published U values (ie conductive heat loss parameters) for the main parts of a Cali. I couldn't find any but it would be fun if anyone had them - or I might try to estimate them roughly.

However... the Eberspacher Airtronic D2 heater (I think the model used in the Cali) uses, according to its data sheet, up to 0.28 litres per hour but that is at its max output of 2,200 watts. However imagine blowing a 2kW fan heater into a Cali and even on a very cold night you'd certainly only have to run it in short bursts or you'd have meat falling off the bone.

So I'd be very surprised if, on a freezing UK night and unless you had all the windows wide open, you'd use more than maybe 0.1 litres per hour, and probably less.

But as I said before, it depends enormously on the outside temperature.

so, .28 litres * 10 hours is 2.8 litres which at £1.20 is £3.36.

That would be at setting 10 running non-stop.

I have had mine on at setting 4 in a very cold spell in the winter scottish highlands. Assume, crudely, that is 40%, that is £1.35 per night. However it doesn't run all the time, worst case 70% say so about £1.00 a night on a bitterly cold night (minus something between 7 and 9c).

A lot cheaper than a couple of nights stop in the hyperbaric oxygen room at the local hospital recovering from frostbite :shocked

Evening GrannyJen! I have been popping the heater on for an hour or two over the past few evenings as the Cali isn't being driven much at the mo and the inside was getting a bit 'drippy' (the other car is a land rover which i prefer to use day to day if there's any ice in the sticks!) - I guess that's why you have your heating on from 7-10 / I wondered what setting people leave theirs on overnight?

I have mine on setting 2. Normally we do not get a hard frost where I live (Right on the coast) but sometimes cold air is dragged down off the South Downs to give a really sharp frost as with last night. No cloud cover, beautiful day and night, lovely.

I used to spend hours laboriously programming mine to come on at precise times then thought "why bother!". My van is always packed and ready to go so a lot of stuff in there I do not want getting cold and damp and as I'm off often at a moments notice I don't want to unpack it and drain everything down.

I don't care what it costs to run, alarm goes off, I stick toe out from under the Duvet, if its cold in the house I press the remote for the heating & by the time Im ready to leave the van is defrosted & toasty inside.

Not having to de-ice gives me an extra 10 minutes in bed & that is worth a lot to me.

At a guess running it flat out on the highest setting for half an hour X 5 mornings its used about 2 litres of diesel a week so say 50p per day.

If I could be bothered I could do a comparison between leaving it running all night on the lowest setting & my short full heat - at a guess they both use the same amount of fuel.

I leave it running for the first couple of miles of my journey with the cabin heater set to recirculate until the main heater has warmed up enough.

For comparison our old motorhome could use up a 7.5kg propane cylinder of gas in two days in cold weather & we would still be shivering at one end of the van.

First comedy post of '17.

Good work :bananadance2

Well as far as I am concerned, it could use a couple of gallons per 10 hours use for all I care. I think the parking heater is simply the best optional extra fitted to any vehicle, ever. The choice is, if you are cold use it and stay warm or don't and freeze. Simples!
However in practice the fuel gauge never seems to move, however much you use it. Having said that, even in freezing conditions the heater is never on all of the time and so far even during sub zero outside temperatures, we have never needed to use it during the night. We do have an internal liner fitted though and IMO it makes a huge difference.

Unless it is mere curiosity, it seems to me to be a bit odd to pay £50 - 60k for a new Cali with a super dooper whizo parking heater only to worry about how much fuel it's using.

Just my opinion.

illumination !!!! somehow my crusty mindset has been stuck in ' get out of vehicle switch everything off... get in start again....' I will rush out there immediately and turn the thing on.......

so, .28 litres * 10 hours is 2.8 litres which at £1.20 is £3.36.

That would be at setting 10 running non-stop.

I have had mine on at setting 4 in a very cold spell in the winter scottish highlands. Assume, crudely, that is 40%, that is £1.35 per night. However it doesn't run all the time, worst case 70% say so about £1.00 a night on a bitterly cold night (minus something between 7 and 9c).

A lot cheaper than a couple of nights stop in the hyperbaric oxygen room at the local hospital recovering from frostbite :shocked
Right, turning the heating off in the house and moving out to the Cali! :D

illumination !!!! somehow my crusty mindset has been stuck in ' get out of vehicle switch everything off... get in start again....' I will rush out there immediately and turn the thing on.......
No remote fob ?

I was disappointed this morning. I set my timer last night as the frost started to form on the van, ready to be warm for my drive to work. This morning, it was mild and no ice. Completely derailed my smugness
Different story here
Woke up to see a sheet of ice on the vans roof,30 minutes with the stationery heater on and all thawed off :)

Alan

We were warned of a very cold night with last nights forecast so I put my woodburner in the van :shocked

We were warned of a very cold night with last nights forecast so I put my woodburner in the van :shocked
You wouldn't be the first

DSCF1580.JPG

I was disappointed this morning. I set my timer last night as the frost started to form on the van, ready to be warm for my drive to work. This morning, it was mild and no ice. Completely derailed my smugness
No, it was your heater warming the entire neighbourhood up! ;)

Back