Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heating Not Working

sensisuperstar

sensisuperstar

Wibble
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
It’s a little chilly, so whilst parked up I thought I’d put on the heater in our T6 Ocean, when I was met with this...

B06827B6-EFAC-418B-8AAC-DEEE7B5FFAE8.jpeg

...so I accessed the diagnostic menu, which said...

DD5FB907-27D9-4053-9317-F4DE39895004.jpeg

...any ideas before I book the van in with VW?

The heater last worked the day I picked up the van back in April, as it was demonstrated to me, but I’ve never had cause to use it since. I did have the heater undertray replaced under warranty a few weeks later, so maybe something was disconnected at the time. As ever any help is appreciated...

Leisure battery at less than 10.5 v?

Insufficient Diesel. Can’t recall the minimum ?

Mike

Leisure batteries at full juice and just filled up with diesel too.

Just had to do some star jumps to keep warm, so the sooner we get a solution the better...

Leisure batteries at full juice and just filled up with diesel too.

Just had to do some star jumps to keep warm, so the sooner we get a solution the better...

May be on but is it turned up?

Mike

May be on but is it turned up?

Mike

Just won’t turn on at all, when I press the heating button I get the “Heating Not Possible” message, the same when I twiddle the knob to do it manually.

Try a reset.

Reset

Reset should read Clear.

For those of you who don't know, if you ever get any problems with roof stuck or any other error say with the heater, you are able to access the hidden menu in your control panel as used by the VW Engineers.

Access as follows:

1. Hold down the centre of the rotary button together with the menu button (button below with the squares on it)

2. You will get the hidden menu.

3. Rotate the rotary button to get to "VW diagnose" and select this by pressing on the centre of the rotary button.

4. If no errors are present it will display "no errors"

5. If Errors are present then a list of errors will appear (as listed in my previous post)

6. Press the centre of the rotary button again to delete all the errors

7. Repeat process above just to check that errors have dissapeared!

8. Re-configure the time and date if neccesary.

Any problems should be resolved assuming these are Electronic and not Mechanical.

Mike

Keep this in my notes.

Here’s a previous thread with a few suggestions.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/diesel-heater-not-firing-up.11525/

3rd suggestion in there from welshgas suggesting thermostat down to low.

Mike

Hmmm, maybe as the outside temp was about 16, and as @WelshGas suggests...

3. Thermostat set lower than ambient temperature then Heater will not run after Startup.

...but how do I find out the thermostat temp if the control for the heater won’t even appear on the screen?

Try a reset.

Reset

Reset should read Clear.

For those of you who don't know, if you ever get any problems with roof stuck or any other error say with the heater, you are able to access the hidden menu in your control panel as used by the VW Engineers.

Access as follows:

1. Hold down the centre of the rotary button together with the menu button (button below with the squares on it)

2. You will get the hidden menu.

3. Rotate the rotary button to get to "VW diagnose" and select this by pressing on the centre of the rotary button.

4. If no errors are present it will display "no errors"

5. If Errors are present then a list of errors will appear (as listed in my previous post)

6. Press the centre of the rotary button again to delete all the errors

7. Repeat process above just to check that errors have dissapeared!

8. Re-configure the time and date if neccesary.

Any problems should be resolved assuming these are Electronic and not Mechanical.

Mike

Keep this in my notes.

Thanks, however I tried that and it didn’t give the reset option as ‘No Errors!’ were found, pressed the centre button anyway without any luck.

Have you tried a reset?

Mike

Thanks, however I tried that and it didn’t give the reset option as ‘No Errors!’ were found, pressed the centre button anyway without any luck.

Ok that’s me out of ideas

Mike

Thanks Mike, it’s appreciated and when I *hopefully* get a solution I’ll update the post :thumb
Ok, you can’t do a reset, but have you rebooted the Control Panel.
Switch panel Off using L lower button.

Wait 30 secs and the switch On using L lower button.

Ok, you can’t do a reset, but have you rebooted the Control Panel.
Switch panel Off using L lower button.

Wait 30 secs and the switch On using L lower button.

Yes, but unfortunately it didn’t change anything. I then accessed the diagnostic menu, but as no errors are shown there isn’t much more I could do.

Van goes in tomorrow *fingers crossed it’s an easy fix* but whilst accessing the ‘secret’ menu I noticed one of the options was for “2nd Camping Battery” which is set to “NO”...is this correct, surely this should be “YES”...or am I missing something?

UPDATE: VW ran a diagnostic and the heater receiver is showing a fault. Unfortunately the technician isn’t convinced as although the remote isn’t activating the heater, nor is the hard wired head unit. Booked in to be stripped down in a week or so...the saga continues.

I was also told I have two heaters, the aux heater and the parking heater. I thought they were one and the same, so I’ll have to read up on that to see what’s what.

I also asked about the “2nd Camper Battery” issue. He had noticed this himself and had set the diagnostic menu to “YES”...no idea why it was set as “NO”.

UPDATE: VW ran a diagnostic and the heater receiver is showing a fault. Unfortunately the technician isn’t convinced as although the remote isn’t activating the heater, nor is the hard wired head unit. Booked in to be stripped down in a week or so...the saga continues.

I was also told I have two heaters, the aux heater and the parking heater. I thought they were one and the same, so I’ll have to read up on that to see what’s what.

I also asked about the “2nd Camper Battery” issue. He had noticed this himself and had set the diagnostic menu to “YES”...no idea why it was set as “NO”.
The Auxilliary Heater warms the engine up when ambient temperature is 5c or less. Completely automatic function. Only works with engine running and stays on until coolant reaches about 80c.
Exhaust is in N/S Wheel arch area.

UPDATE 2: VW finally got the part identified by their computer during the initial diagnostic a few weeks back. As the van was in for the roof recall they booked her in for the heater too, only to discover it was a fuse that had blown and not what the ZX Spectrum was telling them...how very strange.

UPDATE 2: VW finally got the part identified by their computer during the initial diagnostic a few weeks back. As the van was in for the roof recall they booked her in for the heater too, only to discover it was a fuse that had blown and not what the ZX Spectrum was telling them...how very strange.

Hi that’s not unusual to be honest the diagnostic computers lead you up the garden path unless you have worked with them for years and are experienced enough to make them do what u want. To an inexperienced user a dartboard set of darts and pictures of different components would be more use.

UPDATE 3: Heater not working again, so one step forward, then two back...to VW again :headbang

UPDATE 4: So the heater is finally working after numerous visits to VW. In the end the issue was caused by a faulty auxiliary heater control unit, with the new one needing to be shipped over and hence the long wait.

In the interim VW did manage to get the heater working from the vans control unit, but now the new control is fitted the remote now works and I can finally prewarm the van just in time for this arctic blast the Daily Mail has promised us the last 5 years!

It’s a little chilly, so whilst parked up I thought I’d put on the heater in our T6 Ocean, when I was met with this...

View attachment 37640

...so I accessed the diagnostic menu, which said...

View attachment 37641

...any ideas before I book the van in with VW?

The heater last worked the day I picked up the van back in April, as it was demonstrated to me, but I’ve never had cause to use it since. I did have the heater undertray replaced under warranty a few weeks later, so maybe something was disconnected at the time. As ever any help is appreciated...

Diesel heaters need to be run regularly like AC . They like to get upto temp at least once a month . More often if possible even in the summer ! We have had several ( Eberspacher and Webasto ) in boats over the years and learnt the hard way .

Back