Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heating the upstairs!

Days out

Days out

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I'm expecting that some one has tried this before but I thought it might be interesting to show you a simple idea to warm up the upper environment with the use of an old tumble dryer hose.

IMG_6584.JPG

You can see that the black B pillar grille is easily removed and one end of the hose clipped in place simply using the corrigations of the hose to keep it in place.

IMG_6579.JPG

The other end of the hose I had was fitted with a collar that easily can be wedged between the header and the tambour door of the roof system.

IMG_6582.JPG

So a simple way to push a bit of warm air up to the top. The lower cabin is still warmed by the air that escapes from the rectangular B pillar vent around the circular hose.

IMG_6580.JPG

Can't see myself do this , heat goes up automatic . For sleeping you don't need much heat .
Just changing the direction of the airflow towards the front of the cabin instead the rear could also help.

Yes thought so. But instead of adding parts to the vent (as in your link) my hose easily clips in place. Also I tried just a low heater setting to gently push some hot air up. I found that when I left the tambour door open the cold air from upstairs actually made the downstairs cold not the other way around. Anyway I'm happy with the result and I intend to use it to keep the upstairs warmer in cold weather. I will keep you posted.

Can't see myself do this , heat goes up automatic . For sleeping you don't need much heat .
Just changing the direction of the airflow towards the front of the cabin instead the rear could also help.
How to just change direction? ;)

Just a cap over the outlet turing the airflow towards the front , not the whole tube thing ...

Last edited by a moderator:
We just leave the sliding door open, have no problem with heating upstairs

Hope you mean the hatch to acces the roof and not the sliding door ...;)
Agree on that , the heat goes in the roof eventually.

Interesting solution. I'd try it but would be accused by my better half of cruelty to the dog who lies with his nose against the heater grill.

Here's my version of the mod:

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...similar-temperatures.16051/page-2#post-178511

For those that say it shouldn't make much difference, the effect is actually huge when camping in the snow, even with an insulated topper on. It's the difference between the kids being toasty warm or freezing!

It certainly makes a diffrence fully agree, you divert the heat direct up with the hatch 80% closed.
I just pointed out that it does not "need" to be that hot upstaires and the heat will go up automatic i rather have it nice and cosy downstaires.
When it is very cold we close the hatch when the roof is up , to warm downstaires only.
Seems there's a sientist on here who thinks heat goes downwarts ....disagree is one thing common sense is an other...(ps , not refering to you Mark ;))

Do some people actually close the hatch when sleeping upstairs then? Must get very stuffy.

Not what i meant , when sitting downstaires roof up we sometimes close the hatch to prevent heat going up.

Do some people actually close the hatch when sleeping upstairs then? Must get very stuffy.
We have to have ours partially closed to stop Brins 2nd pillow dropping through and clonking Maisie on the head while she's asleep ! One disadvantage of being so tall and fidgety in bed !

We have to have ours partially closed to stop Brins 2nd pillow dropping through and clonking Maisie on the head while she's asleep ! One disadvantage of being so tall and fidgety in bed !
You could always use the net to stop pillows falling down. Works for us.

We have the cab cargo net which works well for that. Is it that or the child catcher you meant Carl?
The child safety net Brian. Stops any pillows moving toward the hatch, not really a problem to get in or out of the bed with it fitted. Never thought of using the storage net, I will try that.

Well your pretty well camouflaged in the snow

Mike