Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heating

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi Folks

Just back from a great weekend in our local National Trust property, JB had a lot of admirers! Not a big problem but does the ticking noise from the heating system settle eventually or is it something to do with the diesel being pumped?

Thanks
E&H

It is the priming of the burner and at first quite intrusive.

It is only heard at certain times and to be honest its soon got used to .... I rarely notice it now but in the early days I thought it would keep me awake all night.

It is the priming of the burner and at first quite intrusive.

It is only heard at certain times and to be honest its soon got used to .... I rarely notice it now but in the early days I thought it would keep me awake all night.
Thanks, good to know. You are a real Cali expert!

Also it is nearly summer and you won't need the heater on at all soon - it is silent when not in use :)

Speaking of the heater... We used it last night for the first time (in a second hand Cali) and we found the air to become very dry... Anyone else experiencing this?

Speaking of the heater... We used it last night for the first time (in a second hand Cali) and we found the air to become very dry... Anyone else experiencing this?

We find that our electric fan heater is a dry heat but the van aux heater is great once my wife got used to the ticking noise. Lol

All the diesel heater does is heat the air in the interior. It does not bring fresh air into the interior.
I would always suggest their should be some ventilation in such a vehicle. If the roof is elevated then their would be sufficient ventilation for 2 people and if not, or more people then maybe a front window open slightly.

Thanks, good to know. You are a real Cali expert!

Not really, I just bash mine around a lot and go camping when most people would think that I am off my trolley. I am terribly irreverent towards the vehicle, it is a tool, there to do a job, and quite frankly all round, everything considered, it does that job very well.

I don't know if you have seen my tribute thread in my anti-cali bashing thread, two quite major incidents of hitting something or running into a pothole on bad, isolated roads, shredded tyres, the vehicle being shaken to bits, and after asking SMG to give a thorough inspection to the underside .... totally unscathed. I get more impressed every month.

Did I not read that the aux heater needs to be run approx every month, to keep it in running order? Should it be switched on during the summer then?

By the way, I got my Cali 3 days ago, and will introduce it properly when I get one of my children to help me get a photo uploaded.

To be honest I don't think we have ever run the heater through the night. We don't camp in the deep winter, but even when frosty we have it on in the evening, and pop it on in the morning to encourage us out of bed.

We probably turn it on 6 times per year - and one of them will be when I valet the carpets and use the heater to dry them

Did I not read that the aux heater needs to be run approx every month, to keep it in running order? Should it be switched on during the summer then?

By the way, I got my Cali 3 days ago, and will introduce it properly when I get one of my children to help me get a photo uploaded.

I just run mine when necessary. If it packs up in the next three years VW can give me a new one.

Seriously, I wouldn't run mine for 15 minutes once a month in the summer. That would probably coke it up. Blast it away once a year in the middle of a Siberian winter, or even colder a west sussex spring, should be enough to de-coke it.

I would think it is probably best to use it for at least 45 to 60 minutes - Minimum - at a time, when needed, so that it gets upto full operating temperature, rather than for very short periods.

We've been using the heating a lot on this trip. I wouldn't call it deep winter but it was -2 and snowing two days ago and it was toasty warm. Don't hear the ticking any more just enjoying the warmth! We have the remote arrached to the passenger loop (the thing the passenger holds on to when you go around a corner at warp 3) so we can turn the heater on without surfacing from the quilt. Could not have enjoyed the trip without it, it has been a real 3 coater... All thanks to Starlight our Cali

To be honest I don't think we have ever run the heater through the night. We don't camp in the deep winter, but even when frosty we have it on in the evening, and pop it on in the morning to encourage us out of bed.

We probably turn it on 6 times per year - and one of them will be when I valet the carpets and use the heater to dry them
Yes we don't have it on during the night, just when watching a late night movie or first thing in the morning using the remote control, that is a real gem!

We've been using the heating a lot on this trip. I wouldn't call it deep winter but it was -2 and snowing two days ago and it was toasty warm. Don't hear the ticking any more just enjoying the warmth! We have the remote arrached to the passenger loop (the thing the passenger holds on to when you go around a corner at warp 3) so we can turn the heater on without surfacing from the quilt. Could not have enjoyed the trip without it, it has been a real 3 coater... All thanks to Starlight our Cali
By the way the heating uses negligible fuel even when well used

But , if your fuell level is to low the heater will not work or switch off to prevent to empty your dieseltank and stalling the Cali.....

The ticking is the fuel pump and will tick as long as the heater is on.

Much like the fuel pump on a Morris Minor, except you don't need to hit this one to get it working!
That is showing my age!:(

Alan

As has already been said, the ticking is the fuel pump for the heater. As the van gets upto the set temperature then the ticking slows down as the heater gets to the temperature maintenance mode.

If anyone else is experiencing dry air, as I am, I put a bowl of water by the heater vent last night, most of the water evaporated and the air became much more humid.

Top tip for you right there.

If anyone else is experiencing dry air, as I am, I put a bowl of water by the heater vent last night, most of the water evaporated and the air became much more humid.

Top tip for you right there.
Funny enough dog’s bowl sits there. Thought he was drinking a lot. And now I think about it, not enough coming out the other end. Problem solved!

Back