Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heavy coolant use

Paul Barnes

Paul Barnes

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi guys, After driving back from Portugal to Cumbria I found my 2005 T5 SE TDI ( 2.5 Ltr) was using excessive coolant. After reading different people's views on possible cause I eventually took it to my local garage who could not make any headway, tried pressure test, dye test and even sealant. The engine has recently done 206000 kms (130 k) and was using around 1/2 an inch from the coolant reservoir on a 10 mile run. Faced with headache of cylinder head gasket failure, cracked cylinder head, replacement engine etc I took it to VW Lindale who thought it could be the water pump, which needed a special extraction tool, so 7 hours labour and a £742 bill later, I think we are back in business. Smiles all around PB

Good stuff. When I was a kid it was the big thing to get over Lindale hill in top gear. This was old road of course, pre dual carriageway.

Not Karl's big bro by any chance?

I don't get i?! Presuming you had the cam belt done as a matter of course at the same time - even VWs own price for T5 cam belt, tensioner and water pump is £550 odd!

I don't get i?! Presuming you had the cam belt done as a matter of course at the same time - even VWs own price for T5 cam belt, tensioner and water pump is £550 odd!
It's the 2.5L engine and I thought that had a Chain Cam drive belt.

:eek: Ahh got it. Man, that's a heck of a lot of dough for a water pump change though.

Hi guys, After driving back from Portugal to Cumbria I found my 2005 T5 SE TDI ( 2.5 Ltr) was using excessive coolant. After reading different people's views on possible cause I eventually took it to my local garage who could not make any headway, tried pressure test, dye test and even sealant. The engine has recently done 206000 kms (130 k) and was using around 1/2 an inch from the coolant reservoir on a 10 mile run. Faced with headache of cylinder head gasket failure, cracked cylinder head, replacement engine etc I took it to VW Lindale who thought it could be the water pump, which needed a special extraction tool, so 7 hours labour and a £742 bill later, I think we are back in business. Smiles all around PB
Good result. A bit confusing because your vehicle details under your Avatar says you have a 180 and water pump and cambelt on those are done together at 80,000 miles or 4 yearly

Back