HEAVY-DUTY ANTI-ROLL BARS

SusiBus

SusiBus

2-pedal power Peppa Pig trike
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Just about to tick the box to have heavy-duty anti-roll bars on our T6 but now having second thoughts.

We are used to having hard suspension, our other rides being an MGB and a Golf GTI Anniversary, both with modified suspension, but on a Cali is this a good option to choose?

Yes if you are approaching a downhill corner too fast it would be, but for general use I found the suspension quite firm enough on our previous T5 4Motion and I wonder if the anti-roll aspect might be detrimental to the general ride quality.

Does anyone have any experience of heavy-duty anti-roll bars on a Cali to enlighten those like me who might be about to choose this option?

An anti roll bar doesn't increase ride stiffness just roll stiffness.

This was part of the old travel pack? So probably a few people could comment. I've selected it on my Ocean order as i've got feedback that its good if you got kids up in the top bed bouncing around. I also prefer to feel planted when cornering.

We've got the travel pack on our ex demo T5 Cali. Can't say I noticed any difference between it and our previous Cali without it.
The air suspension has made a difference though. Less harsh ride and less roll in corners.

Quinnster 77

Are the kids bouncing around in the top bed or the lower bed while you're driving around feeling comfortably planted (Is that similar to feeling feeling Comfortably Numb with Pink Floyd?) If it's the top bed doesn't wind resistance cause a problem with the top up?

Sorry I couldn't resist that, but thank you for the feedback. I also like my vehicles to feel planted on the road, so I think I will have to tick the box and hope the ride isn't compromised too much.

Quinnster 77

Are the kids bouncing around in the top bed or the lower bed while you're driving around feeling comfortably planted (Is that similar to feeling feeling Comfortably Numb with Pink Floyd?) If it's the top bed doesn't wind resistance cause a problem with the top up?

Sorry I couldn't resist that, but thank you for the feedback. I also like my vehicles to feel planted on the road, so I think I will have to tick the box and hope the ride isn't compromised too much.
I expect to have a roof load (2 x sea kayaks) a lot of the time so went for this option to counteract raising the centre of gravity - at least that's the theory!

Can I ask a related question; I am assuming the T6 option "front and rear heavy-duty shock absorbers and anti-roll bars" at £198 does NOT affect ride height at all, either higher or lower... just reduces roll. That was certainly the view of my dealer but I wanted to get the view of owners please? thanks.

Can I ask a related question; I am assuming the T6 option "front and rear heavy-duty shock absorbers and anti-roll bars" at £198 does NOT affect ride height at all, either higher or lower... just reduces roll. That was certainly the view of my dealer but I wanted to get the view of owners please? thanks.

It is just roll. It still doesn't feel planted enough for me when on uneven roads. Will be getting sport line springs to stiffen up the ride a little.

It is just roll. It still doesn't feel planted enough for me when on uneven roads. Will be getting sport line springs to stiffen up the ride a little.
Thanks Quinnster77, I thought as much but appreciate learning from your experience... I think I'll end up following you down the sportlines spring route but I'll give the standard set up a few months first, to see if I can live with it. cheers.

Double check that Sportline springs won't lower by 20mm.

I'm finding noticeably less body roll in corners with the uprated anti roll bars, compared to the demo I tried that was otherwise identical. Well worth having I think, especially with the extra mass of the Ocean.

On the demonstrater we had for the weekend, I found the van rolled quite a bit on entry and exit of roundabouts , it was an ocean 204 front wheel drive. We have an ocean 204 , 4 motion on order with updated roll bars . So I hope the ride will be firm and comfortable

On the demonstrater we had for the weekend, I found the van rolled quite a bit on entry and exit of roundabouts , it was an ocean 204 front wheel drive. We have an ocean 204 , 4 motion on order with updated roll bars . So I hope the ride will be firm and comfortable
I don't have any experience of the 4WD versions myself, but roundabouts are a particular place where I've noticed a definite reduction in roll over the standard FWD setup.

I don't have any experience of the 4WD versions myself, but roundabouts are a particular place where I've noticed a definite reduction in roll over the standard FWD setup.

We put sport line springs on too. Found too much bounce for our liking. The whole setup now is so much more sporty which were used to with our other car with its 19" wheels & s line running gear.

I've stuck with the OEM 17" wheels at the moment to stop it being too harsh a ride on our dodgy roads.

I thought we'd now established that these do raise the height of the Cali (TommyGun's Alison F's recent post comparing 2 x T6's. One with, one without heavy duty roll bars). Takes it over the 2m point, and makes quite a visual difference - but the added ground clearance is valuable for some.

I thought we'd now established that these do raise the height of the Cali (TommyGun's Alison F's recent post comparing 2 x T6's. One with, one without heavy duty roll bars). Takes it over the 2m point, and makes quite a visual difference - but the added ground clearance is valuable for some.

I need to measure mine now as until their post I hadn't realised that. Changing the springs might mean I've only dropped it a bit less than the standard ride height & not the 25-30mm i had assumed.

Can someone please explain in the simplest of terms what the impact would be of:

* upgrading to heavy duty anti-roll bars

* installing lowering springs

* changing from basic tyres to 17/18/19 inch

And the merits of doing only one of the above vs two or more of them. My aim is not 'looks' but feel - to ensure a better quality ride up front and in the back. My wife and children are susceptible to travel sickness.

Thanks

Rob

Can someone please explain in the simplest of terms what the impact would be of:

And the merits of doing only one of the above vs two or more of them. My aim is not 'looks' but feel - to ensure a better quality ride up front and in the back. My wife and children are susceptible to travel sickness.

Thanks

Rob
Hi. I have added 17" wheels and the VW lowered springs. It is approx 40mm lower but the handling is more sure footed. Wheel worth it IMO....... And it now fits in the garage (Just)

Thanks

Rob

HD bars = less roll
Lower springs = less bounce
Sticking to 17s instead of going bigger = absorbs some of the potholes & bumps

This is just my opinion on the setup I have. My wife & kids are all travel sick normally. We've been fine so far.

I've asked if its possible to retrofit the HD anti roll bars, and two VW dealers have told me it's not practical as its not a kit and they would have to order each nut and bolt separately. I've had the lowered springs fitted though and they have made a big difference to roll and wallow, with hardly any change to ride quality. Just a bit less clearance when traversing fields!

I need to measure mine now as until their post I hadn't realised that. Changing the springs might mean I've only dropped it a bit less than the standard ride height & not the 25-30mm i had assumed.
I would be interested to know what your van height is, I have heavy duty roll bars fitted ( feels like a lot less roll than the demo I test drove ). My passengers are also prone to travel sickness and felt this way on the test drive but it isn't a problem in our own van. I am considering having the lowered springs fitted to improve the ride quality.

Your vehicle height will be interesting as the heavy duty anti roll bars apparently raise the van by 20mm or so and the springs lower the van by approx 30mm so in theory your van should only be 10mm below the standard height.

I have been in a car park with a 2m max height barrier and had room to spare.

I have been in a car park with a 2m max height barrier and had room to spare.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that. We have the heavy duty ant roll bars. Have been wondering if we dare try car parks with the 2 M max height barrier.

I don't understand how a anti roll bar could increase the ride height.

I confess to not being 100% up to speed on the suspension of a T5 but normally the roll bars are attached to the floor of the van in the middle & for the none technically minded the bit of suspension that goes up and down by each wheel, normally via a drop link. Hitting a bump with both wheels of an axle at the same time - the roll bar has no effect as both ends are trying to move in the same direction & it would just swivel in the bushes where attached to the floor.

If cornering hard the suspension tries to go down on one side & up on the other, in this situation there is resistance as the only way this can happen is for the roll bar to twist, the thicker the bar the more resistance to twist, hence a heavy duty roll bar is thicker & reduces the roll or lean in a corner.

The springs are the only thing that affect ride height, & the shock absorbers affect the amount of bounce after hitting a bump.

As my old boss used to say - tell me I'm wrong!

I don't understand how a anti roll bar could increase the ride height.

I confess to not being 100% up to speed on the suspension of a T5 but normally the roll bars are attached to the floor of the van in the middle & for the none technically minded the bit of suspension that goes up and down by each wheel, normally via a drop link. Hitting a bump with both wheels of an axle at the same time - the roll bar has no effect as both ends are trying to move in the same direction & it would just swivel in the bushes where attached to the floor.

If cornering hard the suspension tries to go down on one side & up on the other, in this situation there is resistance as the only way this can happen is for the roll bar to twist, the thicker the bar the more resistance to twist, hence a heavy duty roll bar is thicker & reduces the roll or lean in a corner.

The springs are the only thing that affect ride height, & the shock absorbers affect the amount of bounce after hitting a bump.

As my old boss used to say - tell me I'm wrong!

If you read further into the thread it was discovered in a separate post that comparing 2 T6s alongside 1 with HD bars & 1 without that the ride height was greater on the HD bar equipped version. I personally was n't aware of it until it was pointed out.

he ride height was greater on the HD bar equipped version

Which must mean something else has changed - different springs, or higher profile tyres.

Ive just googled some images of the roll bars, the way they are attached is as I thought in a rubber bush on the floorpan, there is no attachment to the bar anywhere that could affect the ride height.

Back