Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Height barriers

T

TrevorW

Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Will a Coast with a VW bike rack with two adult road bikes on fit under a standard 2.2m car park height barrier?

I had a mountain bike on mine and it would only just fit under 2.3m, so I doubt it.

Will a Coast with a VW bike rack with two adult road bikes on fit under a standard 2.2m car park height barrier?
No but you could take front wheels out and lower the bikes on the rack . There is a thread on how alter the rack try a search it should come up.

When I use to use my VW bike rack with to bikes I measured 2.3m and wouldn't go under anything less than 2.4m to be safe.

No but you could take front wheels out and lower the bikes on the rack . There is a thread on how alter the rack try a search it should come up.

Thanks for the responses. Some ingenious solutions. It’ll be my only vehicle so Tow bar I think.

I do wonder what has happened to the height opportunity once offered by the Cali.

It's always been my boast that any 2m I can limbo under.

What has changed?

I do wonder what has happened to the height opportunity once offered by the Cali.

It's always been my boast that any 2m I can limbo under.

What has changed?

The standard hight hasn’t changed, but the addition of a tailgate bike rack doesn’t change the hight only adding bikes to the rack obviously adds additional hight.

This can be worked around with a tow-bar mounted bike carrier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I chickened out!

Farlington Marshes Car Park
That's a shame would have liked to have known on that one. Hampshire and Isle of Wight wildlife trust say they are 6ft 3

Last edited:
That's a shame would have liked to have known on that one. Hampshire and Isle of Wight wildlife trust say they are 6ft 3
6'3" - schoolboy maths puts that at 1.905 metres ... even walking under that one is going to make you duck a bit ..

I saw post #9, but #12 makes it sound like he actually did it, perhaps on a later day. Back in my dream cave I go :sorry

Overall height can vary depending on what wheel, tyre combination or suspension is fitted.

Adjustable air suspension will allow you to fit it in your garage, but it is quite expensive!
Tx Ch1pbutty. Yes, I am aware of air suspension, and already contacted a fitter for a quote. As you say, it is a big bump in price on an already quite expensive vehicle, so makes things a bit harder. But currently it's the only option I have on the table. That, or it lives permanently outside which I'm not so keen on

Did you actually go under it? Isn't a Cali 1.99m? it would be a rather big deal (to me) if it could fit in my 1.96m garage
I swapped my garage door for a sectional one, fitted behind the brickwork instead of between the piers. This meant the 3 inches of door frame wasn't required. I now have 2inchs wriggle room and a far nicer looking garage door as well. Would a new door help at all?

I swapped my garage door for a sectional one, fitted behind the brickwork instead of between the piers. This meant the 3 inches of door frame wasn't required. I now have 2inchs wriggle room and a far nicer looking garage door as well. Would a new door help at all?
Unfortunately the issue is with a big fat concrete support beam on my garage spot. The architect that designed this clearly wasn't a big camper fan. Hence why I jumped at the thought that it may fit after all.

I think I've exhausted my options. If I want a van with a pop top roof, only a California with VB air will fit. To my knowledge there isn't full air suspension on any other camper, and as standard none are under 1.96m

I'm still trying to decide if I go that way, or give up on the pop top, get a regular van, and do a self conversion. Would be a fun project, but I'd miss the pop top... and I have too many projects :embarrased

Unfortunately the issue is with a big fat concrete support beam on my garage spot. The architect that designed this clearly wasn't a big camper fan. Hence why I jumped at the thought that it may fit after all.

I think I've exhausted my options. If I want a van with a pop top roof, only a California with VB air will fit. To my knowledge there isn't full air suspension on any other camper, and as standard none are under 1.96m

I'm still trying to decide if I go that way, or give up on the pop top, get a regular van, and do a self conversion. Would be a fun project, but I'd miss the pop top... and I have too many projects :embarrased
A set of the cheap lowering springs might just get you down to that height.
The height in the showroom is the highest it will ever be, after a few weeks the suspension settles and that saves a few mm

A set of the cheap lowering springs might just get you down to that height.
The height in the showroom is the highest it will ever be, after a few weeks the suspension settles and that saves a few mm
yeah, also looked into it. I only saw 30mm lowering springs, which would still leave me too high :-(

Also... I am in Switzerland, and we get snow. Sometimes a lot. A lowered cali is risking becoming a beached whale when I take it out in winter :Nailbiting

I'm going to see a dealer this weekend and discuss a few options. I may just order it and have it sitting outside for a couple of months until I decide what to do (I can also rent a garage. Cheaper initially but more expensive long term. And more hassle)

Thanks all for the ideas. I've been researching this for about a year, but always keen to hear other's ideas in case I missed something.

Did you actually go under it? Isn't a Cali 1.99m? it would be a rather big deal (to me) if it could fit in my 1.96m garage

I didn’t dare go further. Clare outside waving me forward, then said I’d catch the solar panels. I looked and if we went forward it would have been tight. The height bar was sagging slightly in the middle, and I did consider trying to enter tight to the right, but didn’t dare, so I turned around. I think a Cali is 1.98 or is it 1.998? Anyway, I don’t expect car park restrictors are calibrated, rather the displayed height is a minimum.

Could you dig down and make two channels for the tyres to run in ?

yeah, also looked into it. I only saw 30mm lowering springs, which would still leave me too high :-(

Also... I am in Switzerland, and we get snow. Sometimes a lot. A lowered cali is risking becoming a beached whale when I take it out in winter :Nailbiting

I'm going to see a dealer this weekend and discuss a few options. I may just order it and have it sitting outside for a couple of months until I decide what to do (I can also rent a garage. Cheaper initially but more expensive long term. And more hassle)

Thanks all for the ideas. I've been researching this for about a year, but always keen to hear other's ideas in case I missed something.
Well mine has sat outside for the past 7 yrs since first registration. Still looks as good as the day I got it 107,000 miles ago.

Back