Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Height of T6 Ocean

T64ME

T64ME

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I'm in the process of buying a new Ocean and would really appreciate guidance on the true height of the vehicle with factory fitted awning.

On the VW website the Ocean is reported as standing 1990mm in height with +/-50mm variance depending on the model and equipment fitted. Dilemma having measured up earlier is that our garage is 2000mm (lower than the 2100 mm signage!) which doesn't give much margin for error........

Plan is to buy a 150 DSG with awning.

Has anyone measured the height of their Ocean with awning and could kindly confirm the exact height ?
Reading posts on the forum, I am now planning to get 'lowering springs' fitted which will hopefully reduce the height by 30mm. Does anyone know what VW charge for this as doesn't appear on their price list?

The fall back position would be air suspension or parking on the road which I would hope to avoid!

Many thanks

David

Do not have a 6-er but my 2012 T5 with wind out awning is 2m .
Fitting in a 2m garagedoor is tricky imo.

I have a T6 150DSG and have had the VW lowering springs fitted, which cost £440 inc VAT. Just been out and measured and it seems to be highest at the back at 1960mm

Good point! Does anyone know how high a T6 Ocean 4motion is?

Forgot to say, I don't have an awning, so I'm not sure if they extend above the roof line.

I have a T6 150DSG and have had the VW lowering springs fitted, which cost £440 inc VAT. Just been out and measured and it seems to be highest at the back at 1960mm
Keith - many thanks for the v.informative update and really appreciate you taking the time to measure your T6.

My next question was going to be to check if you have an awning which you have already answered! Fingers crossed they add less than 35mm:)

Best wishes

David

Do not have a 6-er but my 2012 T5 with wind out awning is 2m .
Fitting in a 2m garagedoor is tricky imo.
Hotel California

Many thanks for confirming your height at 2m. Please can you confirm if this is with lowered springs ?

The thread takes me back to school where everyone wanted to be tallest in the class....I currently want to be the shortest !

Best wishes

David

Mine is complete original , nothing changed on the suspention.

oceandimensionsrear.png

from VW website

That drawing confuses me as the top horizontal dimension line does not line up with the top of the van
That's because the vehicle silhouette has roof bars fitted, which can vary in height so only the roof height is given.

@T64ME I also wanted to keep "The Silver Dream Machine" in the garage. Mine is wide enough and high enough - hurrah. However, there is a slope on my driveway down towards the garage which would mean I'm not sure it would really fit as the rear end would stay high until the last moment, and then a 1.5" step up into the garage making it hard to even gently experiment... Sigh of frustration. :(

All

Many thanks for further advice which makes me a lot more confident it will fit .....and I won't adding any roof bars. Look forward to posting pics of our new van later in the year !

David

hi! i have a 2016 beach with awing and my garage height is ~2.08 m. the cali fits very very tight :) ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So is cali higher than multivan or transporter?
All have same height in description but cali's roof and awning seems to be a bit higher.

So is cali higher than multivan or transporter?
All have same height in description but cali's roof and awning seems to be a bit higher.
Transporter Low Roof - 1990mm

Caravelle - 1970mm

California - 1990mm

Transporter Low Roof - 1990mm

Caravelle - 1970mm

California - 1990mm
The California has a totally different roof to the Transporter. It is not a Transporter with a hole cut in it.

All - thanks again for all the great input. Am now less confident but not put off!

Looking back at old postings there was a mixed view if the awning really adds any extra height relative to the heighest part of the Cali (see screenshot) - those who measured with a straight rule seemed to suggest it doesn't?

If the additional height of awning causes me problem, and needs to be removed the process sounds relative straightforward based on the T5 postings. Has anyone removed their factory fitted awning on the T6 yet? If I have to do this would put in storage and reattach to the van for a long trip (once a year).

image.png

@T64ME I also wanted to keep "The Silver Dream Machine" in the garage. Mine is wide enough and high enough - hurrah. However, there is a slope on my driveway down towards the garage which would mean I'm not sure it would really fit as the rear end would stay high until the last moment, and then a 1.5" step up into the garage making it hard to even gently experiment... Sigh of frustration. :(
Alison - might be worth getting a builder round to see if he resolve the 1.5" step into the garage......sounds like a gentle experiment will be fairly high risk
I've just hired T5 transporter van (with fully comp insurance !) for a couple of hours from Zipcar. It fitted but was very close due to a combo of 2m clearance and a slope into the garage.......am now hoping that a T6 Cali with lowered suspension will also make it in......

Good point! Does anyone know how high a T6 Ocean 4motion is?
I have a T6 4motion 150HP 17inch wheels with awning : total weight 2680kg filled up with water,gas and fuel and no driver. To my own surprise the heigth of the vehicle is only 199 cm , any garage that allows 200 cm should work.

My new ocean with standard tyres and awning is 2014mm high at the rear. I had assumed it was under 2 metres when I drove in a 2 metre multi storey. Measured after! Didn't hit but I shall not be doing that again!

I think it may be possible to rivet the rear fitting in a slightly lower position but I will let the newness wear off a bit first. The dealer says this would be a modification and the warranty would be invalid as the awning is factory fitted.

T5 4motion with awning, M and S tyres fitted, 45psi pressure, empty water tank and travelling light and no problems clearing 2M height barriers.

Currently doing the SANEF limbo on french autoroutes using the t Tag 30km toll lanes that are 2M height barrier controlled.

What is the best way to measure it?

Back