Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hello & help.. Khyam 380 sleeper

Popthetop

Popthetop

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi all, within the last six weeks and after much deliberation, my wife and I bought a 63 plate 180 SE. TBH we were going to wait until next year and buy a new Autohaus conversion, but we spotted this one with under 5000 miles on the clock, three months remaining VW warranty and haggled :)

We've used it three times, latterly with the new Khyam 380 sleeper drive away awning, bought at the NEC a couple of weeks ago.

And here's my question: We compared the Khyam to the Vango Kela 3 and thought we'd get a bit more bang for our buck in terms of space with the Khyam, and it appeared (at least at the show - allowing for the fact that they're not going to do it in a way that makes it look difficult) not too hard to put up.

A few years ago we had a caravan, it had an awning, so I know that the first time takes a while and then it gets progressively easier. But this I couldn't get on with at all, all told four hours to put the damned thing up (there was an issue with the poles being threaded incorrectly - worked out after about an hour of tussle).

When it was up it was okay but without the ties really wobbly. Also took two hours to put it down from start to being bagged, and a right struggle at that to fit it back in the bag.

I called Khyam whilst putting it up, and they were really helpful. But I guess after spending £650.00 + I'm disappointed, all we can remember about the longest break so far in our Cali is the PITA new awning :-/

Has anybody had a similar experience with this model? Or did we just opt for the wrong one? Because in my book 'Quick Erect' it 'aint!.

Sorry for the ramble, Cheers Lee.

Judging by your first sentence there are just the 2 of you?
If that is the case then why did you need a driveaway awning?
I can see the reason if you have a family and want storage etc: but for just 2 it seems an awful amount of hassle.
There are just 2 of us. The Fitted awning works fine and we have a toilet tent. All told takes about 10 minutes to peg down to deal with UK weather.

2 + one daughter + occasional guests. Quick erect sold it to me :)

Has anybody had a similar experience with this model? Or did we just opt for the wrong one? Because in my book 'Quick Erect' it 'aint!.

Sorry for the ramble, Cheers Lee.

I can't really comment on the Khyam, but we had an Outwell Country Road with our T4 and my better half could put it up, alone, inside 20mins. With the two of us it was 10mins max. I'll be going back to Outwell for one of their Smart Air awnings (probably another Country Road) when the T6 arrives.

2 + one daughter + occasional guests. Quick erect sold it to me :)
Well it was your first outing. I'm sure it will take less time next time you use it. I had a 27' Caravan in the past with an awning and that took a long time first outing but improved substantially as time went by.

I was a bit puzzled by your experience but think it relates to the 'Sleeper' part. The standard square khyam motordome CLASSIC with it's integrated poles can be thrown up very quickly. Looking at the sleeper model, it appears you may be back to threading poles for the sleeping extension??? That always takes forever.

The main difference between Air Beam models and the Khyam more generally seems to be the size and weight of the bag (due to the Kyham's poles).

I always warn folks about how much hassle all awnings are (it's why I have a bigger van), but I appreciate they are often necessary.

We used to have a Khyam about 7 years ago and recently replaced it for a new inflatable one. Had nothing but problems and ended up sending it back. I think their products have gone downhill over past few years. I am currently looking at outdoor revolution as they give lifetime warranty on the tubes.

We met up with some friends a couple of weeks ago and they had just got an Outwell inflatable awning. It seemed a lot better made than the Vango ones and had zips in the sections where the tubes went so that they could be taken out to be mended/replaced if required. Only thing I didn't like is the sewn in groundsheet. A nono on some sites and a pain if it rains in through open doors. Lot of money though, about £700 I think but seemed very roomy.

I bought a Khyam Motordome a few years ago when it was the flavour of the month, but I hated it. Bulky, hard to erect and difficult to repack. All too easy to trap fingers in those knuckle joints too. I sold it and switched to a Vango Kela 3 which I much prefer.

We have the Motordome sleeper and can now put it up on about 10 minutes. The sleeper part only has 5 poles and is not a real hassle. We did practice a few times before going away with it as it is so different from the caravan awning that we were used to. It actually takes longer to peg down than put up. You must used the guy lines or it is incredibly wobbly but once tensioned it is very rigid. Packing up takes about 15 minutes from start to finish. We collapse it, fold the longer side over the top and then roll it all up. You do not need to be too precise as the material is very forgiving. We then put the bag over the top of the rolled up awning and then roll it all over and it slips in the bag nicely.

I can understand your frustration erecting your new awning,especially when all you want to do is be having fun with your Cali
I'm sure after a bit more practice you will get much faster
I would have thought the supplier would have had a video on YouTube explaining the method on erecting !
Good luck,and welcome to the forum

Alan

I've got the motordome sleeper quick erect and have a very similar experience as rich20... Takes about 10 mins to throw up, and maybe 15 mins more to peg down properly. Getting the corner guys pegged down properly is key to rigidity.

There are a few videos on YouTube that are worth watching and give some useful tips. This one gives you the idea >

Once you've done it a few times it really is simple. Keep at it Lee

Just as a continuation, upon putting up my Kyham for a 2nd time, the material around one of the lower legs came away from the awning. Although this was within 30 days of purchase (therefore I can choose if I want a repair or my money back) I didn't have to point that out. The customer service from Kyham was excellent, which counts for a lot in these situations. However, I will be buying another brand - this isn't for me.

Last edited: