Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hello, I have wandlerlust. I need a van...

Melancholic

Melancholic

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hello there. Well, I'm hoping to buy a California soon if I can iron out some details. Details, details... Years ago I had a couple of Type 2s - not at the same time. My favourite was a 1972 1600cc. Lovely big steering wheel! Great fun in that, although not so hot trying to get onto the M25 or trying to clamber up onto Dartmoor, laden to the gunnels. Actually the Dartmoor bit was fine, just slow.

Anyway...I feel I'd like to get out there again, in a camper van rather than a tent, which is how I've been doing it for the last few years. With impeccable timing I found that I'd landed in the "No T5s and no T6s yet either" gap. Handy. What I was pleased to discover was that a four wheel drive model was available. Aha – the ability to get out of wet Welsh hillside campsites without finding a friendly tractor / landrover owner. OK, plainly I want that. And a 180. So far so good. The choice of vehicles is obviously limited by the end of production and I don't want to wait for the T6. I do want to buy new - ex-demo seems like the way to go. So nearly new! But they all seem to have DSG gearboxes. Well, that sounds weird on a few fronts. I have been driving for twenty eight years, done lots of miles, every inch with a manual gearbox. I'm not a Luddite but I have yet to be convinced by the idea of DSG. I’ll maybe start another thread soon with my worries about that – I’ve read a lot about it but still I dither…

Anyway, that’s a little about me. I do so want to be out there but it’s a lot of money and I have to be cautious.

Thanks, and good wishes, for now.

Hi Melancholic, just left a post on your other thread.

I did what you are considering a few months back, 180 DSG 4motion "ex demo", it only had 16 miles on it so I don't think it had been out of the showroom.

Anyway, most people who spend that sort of money want an automatic, so when the dealers pre-order they spec them up with options they think a customer will want so they can sell them easier.

I have personally found that if you don't specify the right options it can be difficult to shift a vehicle; I had a very nice BMW a few years back which no one would touch because it had alcantara upholstery and not leather. I don't think the California will suffer to that degree but that's the way dealers think.

If you get that van you won't regret it, the sun is shining now :D

Hello there. Well, I'm hoping to buy a California soon if I can iron out some details. Details, details... Years ago I had a couple of Type 2s - not at the same time. My favourite was a 1972 1600cc. Lovely big steering wheel! Great fun in that, although not so hot trying to get onto the M25 or trying to clamber up onto Dartmoor, laden to the gunnels. Actually the Dartmoor bit was fine, just slow.

Anyway...I feel I'd like to get out there again, in a camper van rather than a tent, which is how I've been doing it for the last few years. With impeccable timing I found that I'd landed in the "No T5s and no T6s yet either" gap. Handy. What I was pleased to discover was that a four wheel drive model was available. Aha – the ability to get out of wet Welsh hillside campsites without finding a friendly tractor / landrover owner. OK, plainly I want that. And a 180. So far so good. The choice of vehicles is obviously limited by the end of production and I don't want to wait for the T6. I do want to buy new - ex-demo seems like the way to go. So nearly new! But they all seem to have DSG gearboxes. Well, that sounds weird on a few fronts. I have been driving for twenty eight years, done lots of miles, every inch with a manual gearbox. I'm not a Luddite but I have yet to be convinced by the idea of DSG. I’ll maybe start another thread soon with my worries about that – I’ve read a lot about it but still I dither…

Anyway, that’s a little about me. I do so want to be out there but it’s a lot of money and I have to be cautious.

Thanks, and good wishes, for now.

Hello, I am in the same situation like you. I dont know if a 4motion with DSG, could be a better option than only a 4motion Cali. There has been a problem with the last manuals Cali in Spain, and now VW is offering me the 4motion at the same price that the DSG.
The 4motion with DSG is about 5.000 euros more than only 4motion.
Could you tell its worth it?

Hello, I am in the same situation like you. I dont know if a 4motion with DSG, could be a better option than only a 4motion Cali. There has been a problem with the last manuals Cali in Spain, and now VW is offering me the 4motion at the same price that the DSG.
The 4motion with DSG is about 5.000 euros more than only 4motion.
Could you tell its worth it?
4motion DSG in UK only comes with 204ps engine.
Are you comparing a 150ps 4M against that model as there is more than just DSG in the price for UK spec.?

4motion DSG in UK only comes with 204ps engine.
Are you comparing a 150ps 4M against that model as there is more than just DSG in the price for UK spec.?
Hello, in Spain the 4motion model with DSG comes with both, 150 and 204 engines. Now here the price of a 4motion with DSG and 150 engine is about 5000 euros more than a 150 4motion manual, or a 150 with DSG.
There has been a problem with some models, 150 manual, and VW is offering now special prices.
Thank you.

This ties in with what I’ve just been told By vw customer services. There is an issue relating to the production conformity of the 150 tdi manual.

This ties in with what I’ve just been told By vw customer services. There is an issue relating to the production conformity of the 150 tdi manual.
I can understand that as you have the Driver in between the engine and the gearbox, so very difficult to control emissions unlike a DSG gearbox where the Driver is removed from the equation and the computer controls everything.