Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hello, little bit yellow!!

mrscamper-x

mrscamper-x

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi lovely forum people, my husband camper-x suggested I join the forum to save asking (pestering) him with a million and one questions about our new (to us) Califormia. We've just got back from a 4 day trip to Wales and already we have renamed the wardrobe the 'cupboard of doom'.
Thought I do a little search first before asking something that already has a solution.....couldn't find an answer to....
What storage solutions do you guys use in the waredrobe section? I'm not big on putting stuff on hangers (ex tent camper and professional folder-upper-er). I'm thinking shelves. Any thoughts on this?:rolleyes:

I shove sleeping bags, blankets, cushions/pillows in the wardrobe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The hanging cupboard is IMO the least well-designed bit of the Cali.

Inside the cupboard we have a hanging 'tidy' affair made of fabric with about six compartments. From Amazon as I recall. It's okay-ish but not brilliant, as there's a tendency for the contents to get turfed out forwards when the van brakes (but it's not really workable to install it sideways because then you can't get at stuff easily).

Like a lot of people on the forum apparently, we keep our clothes in nylon/mesh 'packing cube' zip bags, colour coded (lots of them available nowadays, including an Amazon own brand which are perfectly okay). They're a great way to pack for the van, as we can then avoid digging through all the loose stuff, including Mrs VD's Unmentionables :oops:. And the cubes can also be re-stashed elsewhere, eg in the overhead compartment at the back of the van or the under-bench drawer.

We then stow the packing cubes into the hangy-tidy-thingy compartments as described above, but as they're quite shiny and slick, it makes the problem of them falling out even worse.

We may just junk the hangy-tidy-thingy altogether and revert to stuffing all the packing cubes etc into the body of the cupboard. There would then be more room for other stuff like fleeces on top and also maybe our duvet which lives in a compressing dri-bag.

I've always fancied the look of the rigid shelves sold by calitop.eu (or if you are handy with aluminium sheeting, you could make your own). They might work quite well with packing cubes although I do wonder if stuff would still slide about. Anyone on here used them and can give the pros/cons?

We too have a hanging cupboard tidy. I bought it from Wilko as it was the perfect width, though we had to cut the bottom 2 sections off. It's brilliant for putting all our folded clothes in and we just did a 5 day stint in the van with enough clothes etc. There's still plenty of room in the bottom of the wardrobe, which we used to stuff our dirty laundry into. Classy, I know.

IMG_0279.JPG IMG_0275.JPG IMG_0280.JPG View attachment 20728

IMG_0282.JPG

Use x3 shelf unit hangs in wardrobe. Managed to store clothes for us for 2 wk trip,used my pack & go bags(store tee shirts ).Just fold jeans/jumpers.Still space behind & bottom - hair drier etc. Can still use a couple of hangers beside the shelf unit. Easy access to clothes ,deep ,things stay put .
Use cupboard in boot for x2 wash bags & 2 small pack & go bags for soaks/undies.
Pillows/zonesleep/double vango aurora double bag(best recent buy)upper level in boot. Created more space by using the saver bags with hand pump to reduce volume of pillows/ sleeping bag.
Quescha base seconds tent is in between the boot shelf & the rear seat.

Last edited:
Welcome , we put our clothes in cube-bags (from Decathlon) and stack them in that "cupboard of doom " .
Indeed one of the disgner flaws...

You will find many diffrent ways to pack a Cali on the forum , each has theire needs and habbits.

We stuff the pillows and lower bed mattress topper into the wardrobe. When we remove these items at night we put empty sleeping bag bags, spare blankets, clothes ready for the next day in there.

In the morning my son uses the cupboard as a little room to have his breakfast in before we remove him and us it again for pillows etc...

IMG_8094.JPG

We find best to keep clothes in soft bags in the boot along with sleeping bags as trying to hang clothes in there is pretty much impossible...

Bedding in the wardrobe. Clothes in packing cubes in the drawer.

Plus one for the hangy tidy thingy. It's not the best use of space per se but it's the best use of this one.

We've just ended up putting our sleeping bags and air mats in the wardrobe out of laziness - don't even bother putting them back in their stuff sacs these days, just shovel it all back in in the morning (taking care not to catch anything in the doors and latches, of course). We do sleep in the van pretty much every weekend, though, so this makes life much easier... Clothes currently live in the pull-down "loudspeaker" cupboard but may need a re-think for longer trips.

View attachment 20729 View attachment 20727 View attachment 20730 View attachment 20728

Use x3 shelf unit hangs in wardrobe. Managed to store clothes for us for 2 wk trip,used my pack & go bags(store tee shirts ).Just fold jeans/jumpers.Still space behind & bottom - hair drier etc. Can still use a couple of hangers beside the shelf unit. Easy access to clothes ,deep ,things stay put .
Use cupboard in boot for x2 wash bags & 2 small pack & go bags for soaks/undies.
Pillows/zonesleep/double vango aurora double bag(best recent buy)upper level in boot.
Quescha base seconds tent is in between the boot shelf &is rear seat.

That looks great. You certainly make the most of your wardrobe area!!

Back