Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help and advice - roof repair, about to buy

T

TDL

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi,
Looking to buy first van and have seen one we really like, seems in good nic except for some patches of rust. It's a '96 2.5tdi.
Arches etc do not seem too bad but worried about the rust on the roof under the pop top.
Any advice really appreciated - happy to do some repairs given the condition of the van generally but wondered if anyone had an idea about cost and potential to repair this part. Pics attached, TIA

IMG-20180828-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20180828-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20180828-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20180828-WA0000.jpg

Welcome , looots of discussions/threads on T5 roof repairs but T4 roof repair i'm not aware ....
The T4 guru's soon pop-in and have usefull tips.

Welcome , looots of discussions/threads on T5 roof repairs but T4 roof repair i'm not aware ....
The T4 guru's soon pop-in and have usefull tips.

Thanks - that's what I'm hoping!
Obviously expect some bodywork issues, which is fine with arches etc but roof seems a bit more worrying. Hoping someone will say 'Yep, just need to do this this and this!'

Hmmmm. I hate rust! I doubt very much it’ll be serious. One thing to beat in mind and check is the windscreen surround.

If the rust is bad it may be impossible to replace the screen if needs be which could result in a scrap van.

Take another look and prod it with a screwdriver. If it’s just superficial dive in and get it repaired professionally.

Good luck.

Thanks - that's what I'm hoping!
Obviously expect some bodywork issues, which is fine with arches etc but roof seems a bit more worrying. Hoping someone will say 'Yep, just need to do this this and this!'
They'll be along soon. They're getting on a bit and need their beauty sleep.:kiss

As it happens i noticed some rust marks when I last inspected my roof, in the same spot, think I've caught it early, but is this a common problem?

I guess in my case I could apply some waxoil on the top, but wondering if taking the roof lining out will show more the extent of the problem (in my case and especially that of TDL) - anyone any more experience of this?

20180828_102646.jpg

Hmmmm. I hate rust! I doubt very much it’ll be serious. One thing to beat in mind and check is the windscreen surround.

If the rust is bad it may be impossible to replace the screen if needs be which could result in a scrap van.

Take another look and prod it with a screwdriver. If it’s just superficial dive in and get it repaired professionally.

Good luck.

Thanks. Wish we'd had a bit more of a poke when we initially viewed it! Hard to know. Windscreen seemed ok... a couple of small bubbles but nothing like the roof.
Don't suppose you'd fancy guesstimating a price range for repair would you?

Not a T4 owner but doesn't look good to me,not a great area to have rust. Unless the price is very good I would walk, you can find better examples for sure.

I don’t have a T4 but it looks to me like the rust has initiated from outside where the pop top has been resting. It has then spread along underneath the paint. So what you see should be the full extent of the damage. (Unlike chassis members where rusting has occurred from inside and you can’t see the full extent).

I wouldn’t think any corrosion there would affect the structural integrity.

If the price was right and the rest of the van was straight I would be tempted to have a go, you could scrape the rust away and repair with filler. You could use it as a bargaining point.

Shh ... don’ t mention it but, if you’re not aware, roof corrosion is an ongoing problem with the later Californias!

Good luck and :welcome

I don’t have a T4 but it looks to me like the rust has initiated from outside where the pop top has been resting. It has then spread along underneath the paint. So what you see should be the full extent of the damage. (Unlike chassis members where rusting has occurred from inside and you can’t see the full extent).

I wouldn’t think any corrosion there would affect the structural integrity.

If the price was right and the rest of the van was straight I would be tempted to have a go, you could scrape the rust away and repair with filler. You could use it as a bargaining point.

Shh ... don’ t mention it but, if you’re not aware, roof corrosion is an ongoing problem with the later Californias!

Good luck and :welcome

Thanks. Everything else looked spot on - just what we've been looking for. Agreed on 11500 with rust etc. First van for us but took a friend who already has a Cali and he seems to think it's a good van, good price. Only looked properly at the pics we'd taken once we'd got home and started to panic about it a bit about the roof rust - as others have said, it's where it is that's the worry.

I’m sure someone here dealt with similar rust issue behind that lip spoiler/ extending under the roof. I think it was successful but a very big job, as the metal is twin skinned there and I think joins at the windscreen seating.

Hopefully they’ll be along with photos and advice.

I think if you can understand how the windscreens ‘sit’ (very different to T5 bonded screens) you’ll be able to get a feel for how precise / fine any repair would have to be. Being effectively hidden, you could go for something pretty structural / not too beautiful, if the windscreen rubber allows.

Anyway, let’s see a photo of the whole van (the good bits), not just this problem area!

That would worry me - I think that if you did give a it good prod there would be holes there. If the roof is double skinned it will make the repair more difficult but the rust will need cutting out and patching in - may be using a body cut from a scrapped T4. The interior in that area would need stripping out so the welder doesn't set the van on fire too and I'm not sure how much work there would be in that. If the rest of the van is sound then it may be worth doing the repairs but if you have any other doubts I would walk away.

Whereabouts are you based (OP?). Between us we have a limited number of good body shop folks who are familiar with T4s.

Van looks great BTW! Nice in Red Nd good wheel choice by someone in the past.

That would worry me - I think that if you did give a it good prod there would be holes there. If the roof is double skinned it will make the repair more difficult but the rust will need cutting out and patching in - may be using a body cut from a scrapped T4. The interior in that area would need stripping out so the welder doesn't set the van on fire too and I'm not sure how much work there would be in that. If the rest of the van is sound then it may be worth doing the repairs but if you have any other doubts I would walk away.
Thanks - don't really have any other doubts and we have factored in a budget for the repair but obviously don't want that to run onto thousands and/or be left with a useless van
We just have no idea what it's going to potentially cost...

Whereabouts are you based (OP?). Between us we have a limited number of good body shop folks who are familiar with T4s.

Van looks great BTW! Nice in Red Nd good wheel choice by someone in the past.
We're in the northwest - and stuck in that catch 22 .... have to buy the van because the body shop need to seen the van in person, so we can decide if we should buy the van!

Thanks - don't really have any other doubts and we have factored in a budget for the repair but obviously don't want that to run onto thousands and/or be left with a useless van
We just have no idea what it's going to potentially cost...
If you allowed for the cost of the repairs within the purchase price and the rest of the van is sound then maybe go for it. If I was forced to guess, I would allow a grand for cutting out, welding in and painting all the areas needed.

Thanks for the help everyone, honestly think it's too much of a risk for us so we might need to keep looking.
Really appreciate all the feedback and adv8ce though. Where to from here?

As a matter of interest, how much is the van? It might be an absolute bargain ...

BTW, I guess that is your postcode in your location? might be better to put something a little more vague as even the older Cali’s are desirable and attract low life.

As a matter of interest, how much is the van? It might be an absolute bargain ...

BTW, I guess that is your postcode in your location? might be better to put something a little more vague as even the older Cali’s are desirable and attract low life.

Thanks for that ... done!
The van was 11500?

Thanks for that ... done!
The van was 11500?
Sounds a bit high, but one of the T4 gurus should give you some advice.

It was about right.....it had the face lifted front but the pre 1999 interior and I suspect lacked air con. I’m also assuming it was a 5 cylinder turbo 102hp. Folks are asking £9k for the earliest T4s with the non turbo engines.

Back