Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help! Bent Bike Rack

SE VanMan

SE VanMan

Beach with 2 seat bench
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Yesterday was not a good day, I reversed my T6 with new style bike rack into a tree - while the rack was folded closed.

The rack now seems fine on 3 of the touch points but the bottom left hand corner no longer fits because the lowest horizontal bar of the aluminium frame is slightly bent in, pushing the clasp away from the tailgate.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to straighten it back out or has had the same misfortune ?

Any :help gratefully received.

Can you post a photo of the damage? I assume no damage to Cali?
I did the same but with the rack unfolded last year. Ended up taking it apart partly bending the swinging arm back in place but no solution to "popped" screw fixings. Tie wraps were used for that. Survived a trip to Norway this summer with two bikes on board without issue.

I'll take a picture tomorrow, not had chance to have a proper look yet, but if it can be taken apart then maybe theres a chance of bending it back as you say. It took a slither of plastic off of the rear light cluster which I think I can invisibly fix. At first glance it looks like all the 'work' is done by the top hanging fixings and the lower ones are just for location, but I'm sure they are all important!

Have you removed the rack from your van? There may be indents in the rotting corners of your tailgate from the force transferring through the bike rack to the lower fixings