Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help -Cannot Decide!! (Coast, Ocean, Marco Polo or Nugget)

I think the couple of "Brand Snobbery" comments were a bit unfair, as GrannyJen has said. I've read through most of this thread and there seems to be some good, fair points made. But this is a Cali forum. You could have been bombarded with pro Cali stuff but you haven't.

Surprised nobody has mentioned the height. I wouldn't choose any van over 2m height as I want the option of using covered parking whenever possible, as it is difficult to find on street parking in many towns and cities (I'm on the continent). Always been happy with the driving experience of all my California's from basic T4 through T4 turbo, T5, now to my T6 Ocean. I did consider a MP, but the fantastic trade-in at my dealer's pursuaded me otherwise.

Surprised nobody has mentioned the height. I wouldn't choose any van over 2m height as I want the option of using covered parking whenever possible, as it is difficult to find on street parking in many towns and cities (I'm on the continent). Always been happy with the driving experience of all my California's from basic T4 through T4 turbo, T5, now to my T6 Ocean. I did consider a MP, but the fantastic trade-in at my dealer's pursuaded me otherwise.

Can be fixed with air suspension... but again, adds 1k to the price so to get a nugget auto similar spec to the ocean, one needs to add xenon, aircon, satnav and air. We have now ruled out the nugget. Way too expensive for something we know if not of similar quality to the vw. A shame but I can only assume ford has limited production capability and just want to make a lot of money per van. Back looking at the california although not a great option for 5 people.

I looked into air suspension here so that I could also use the older indoor car parks, which are often only 1.85m high. But it was 4K euro as an after market install (my Cali is a used one so couldn't spec it). For 1000 I would have done it!

I looked into air suspension here so that I could also use the older indoor car parks, which are often only 1.85m high. But it was 4K euro as an after market install (my Cali is a used one so couldn't spec it). For 1000 I would have done it!
One ford dealer told me that but they would not do it themselves so could be a lot of cobblers to make a sales. Overall, I feel ford is not making much effort with the nugget. Setting a list price of 63k and not including aircon in 2020 is outrageous. Even mercedes would not dare. A shame, we liked the nugget but 67k is stupid money. Autoexpress just compared the ford and vw as mpv and critise the ford for being very van like. Comforted my decision to drop the nugget from the shortlist.

I seriously considered the MP. IMHO It is a better drive, the interior is much more lux than the utilitarian VW, the rear seats are significantly more comfy for passengers, it’s a bit longer so feels more spacious, the upstairs bed is same as t6.1 (so superior to t6), it has a bigger hob, the dash is far more attractive and it seemed to have loads of options as standard. On top of this, it is cheaper than the VW.

The downsides are that the beds are narrower, the electric rear seats are over complicated, and the camping seats and table storage takes up massive space in the boot. The night seater is an option but you can always get that fitted after market as people often do with the beach.

Residuals were also much poorer pre-covid. Having said that, this meant you could basically get a 2 year old MP for the same price as a similar aged Beach, which I think was fantastic value. Around 40k.

We bought a new Coast but it was a very close call. I think the utilitarian feel of the VW suits camping more than the luxury of a MP which also felt like an ‘older persons camper’. No offence.

I seriously considered the MP. IMHO It is a better drive, the interior is much more lux than the utilitarian VW, the rear seats are significantly more comfy for passengers, it’s a bit longer so feels more spacious, the upstairs bed is same as t6.1 (so superior to t6), it has a bigger hob, the dash is far more attractive and it seemed to have loads of options as standard. On top of this, it is cheaper than the VW.

The downsides are that the beds are narrower, the electric rear seats are over complicated, and the camping seats and table storage takes up massive space in the boot. The night seater is an option but you can always get that fitted after market as people often do with the beach.

Residuals were also much poorer pre-covid. Having said that, this meant you could basically get a 2 year old MP for the same price as a similar aged Beach, which I think was fantastic value. Around 40k.

We bought a new Coast but it was a very close call. I think the utilitarian feel of the VW suits camping more than the luxury of a MP which also felt like an ‘older persons camper’. No offence.

The marco polo over complicated seats is to make them car like for driving and flat for sleeping. Clever but yes, seems complicated. I was quite interested in the mp until a fellow member here said they removed the 5 seats options

No more 5 seats on the mp. All the roads lead back to the cali.

Another important advantage of the MO is that it has an electric handbrake. Why oh why don’t VW fix this

Another important advantage of the MO is that it has an electric handbrake. Why oh why don’t VW fix this
Having had 2 electronic handbrakes seize on 2 Audis, and needing a recovery vehicle to take them to the dealer, I disagree. Imagine being somewhere remote in your Cali and that happening. Vehicle is going nowhere.

Having had 2 electronic handbrakes seize on 2 Audis, and needing a recovery vehicle to take them to the dealer, I disagree. Imagine being somewhere remote in your Cali and that happening. Vehicle is going nowhere.
It’s a specific camper problem with levelling on chocks and then having to take the handbrake off to turn the driver seat round.

I never got on with the electric handbrake on our Old shape Volvo XC90, found it a pain to use especially when queuing in ramped car parks . Much prefer a conventional handbrake and find that the brake hold function on the Cali is excellent.

It’s a specific camper problem with levelling on chocks and then having to take the handbrake off to turn the driver seat round.
I agree it is utterly ridiculous having to release the handbrake to rotate the driver's seat - I forget every time! But I have also seen that when the electronic handbrake malfunctions the vehicle is totally immobilized. However manufacturers will not be reverting to manual handbrakes any time soon. Another solution to a problem that didn't really exist.

I've had a couple of American trucks with automatic transmission when on assignment in the Middle East and they had the parking brakes with a foot pedal high up away from the main brake pedal. Would solve both problems.