Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

HELP - Fresh water container tap has broken.

debarros

debarros

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
My fresh water container tap has broken and does not turn off the reservoir.
The tap turns but it does not shut off the ball cock .

VW has quoted over 2500 pounds to fix it.
Any ideas or suggestion would be welcome.

Wow, I feel for you. I think I would carry a jerrycan

Need to give more info...no use looking for solutions if you don't show pictures/details....

ok I will take some photos but not sure what it will show as the tap at the top looks and turns perfectly but it wont turn off the stopper which is hidden from view.
jerrycan is a possibility

Are you talking about the fresh water tank drain tap? This has a red leaver at the top of the tank beside the gas bottle cover, with an actuating rod to the tap at the base of the tank.

If that is the one, then I could well believe it will cost that sort of money to repair, as the wardrobe may well have to come out.

Or it could be a simple fix of a nut being replaced on the leaver at the top.

Alan

Or it could be a simple fix of a nut being replaced on the leaver at the top.

you may be able to get a look by opening the water tank to have a look

I suppose a drastic alternative would be to cut out a hole in the end of the wardrobe to access the tank. With care it could be put back in without too much damage.
I'd certainly rather do that than have some cack handed dealer take the whole lot out especially at that kind of money.

I think I would get underneath and plug the drain / exit!

thank you all for your advice. Alan is right as they said the whole wardrobe has to come out. Not sure if it is possible to access it from underneath. As anyone tried this? Have a mechanic taking a look next week to see it if is possible. Thought of plugging the bottom as an alternative but gas vent issue comes up. Will keep working on it.

Andy - (got the mail notification but cant see your entry here).
The issue is how to access the valve at the bottom of the tank?

Andy - (got the mail notification but cant see your entry here).
The issue is how to access the valve at the bottom of the tank?
I edit a message which was wrong after looking at cutaway sorry for that

diagram here:
http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_singl.../068/subcategory/68030/part_id/3706722/lang/e

Is the pipework and valve at the bottom accessible from underneath, once the undertray is removed?
That would be worth a look.

The bottom of the tank has to sit in a hole in the floor of the van to allow any leaking Butane gas to escape. The water drain is, rather messily, via this larger hole.

Crawling underneath and removing the splash cover to have a look would be easier than removing the wardrobe.

Alan

Thanks Alan, a sensible suggestion - will try this next week. Jose

Problem now fixed. Local garage removed strip facia alongside wardrobe and could access (with difficulty) the tap rod which had come loose. Cost 148 instead of 2500 at VW. Many thanks for all the welcome suggestions and specially Pineseal for the helpful diagram. Note it was not possible to access the end pipe from underneath.

Back