Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help - Getting bench seat back in

Ken M

Ken M

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
This afternoon I removed the rear bench seat to fit the additional under seat drawer that I have previously ordered. While it took some time to work out how to remove the floor runner covers, and then a struggle to get the very heavy seat out, I now have a nice new secondary drawer to compliment the larger drawer. Great!

The only problem is that I can't work out how to get the seat aligned back into the runners. It is now sitting in the back of the van and I have the 'feet' sitting in the obvious entry points for the runners slots but I could not get it to slide back.

I am not sure if it is a contributing issue or not, but I removed the screw driver that holds open the locking mechanism that allows you to remove the seat (as advised in the owners manual). I can't get the screw driver back in although the lever still appears to be working - well at least there is still resistance on the lever with operating it.

Does anyone have any advice on how to fix? I have searched and trawled through the forum and while there appears to be a number who have been adventurous enough to remove the rear bench I can't find any one having difficulties getting in back in (apart from struggling with the weight...)

This afternoon I removed the rear bench seat to fit the additional under seat drawer that I have previously ordered. While it took some time to work out how to remove the floor runner covers, and then a struggle to get the very heavy seat out, I now have a nice new secondary drawer to compliment the larger drawer. Great!

The only problem is that I can't work out how to get the seat aligned back into the runners. It is now sitting in the back of the van and I have the 'feet' sitting in the obvious entry points for the runners slots but I could not get it to slide back.

I am not sure if it is a contributing issue or not, but I removed the screw driver that holds open the locking mechanism that allows you to remove the seat (as advised in the owners manual). I can't get the screw driver back in although the lever still appears to be working - well at least there is still resistance on the lever with operating it.

Does anyone have any advice on how to fix? I have searched and trawled through the forum and while there appears to be a number who have been adventurous enough to remove the rear bench I can't find any one having difficulties getting in back in (apart from struggling with the weight...)
Is the seat handle in the UP or Disengaged position?

The handle is in the down position - ie normal position when seat is locked. There is resistance when pulling on the lever. When trying to insert the screw driver to lock out the mechanism I can feel movement of the mechanism against the tip, but there dosen’t seem to be suffient movement for the driver to fully engage and lock.

The handle is in the down position - ie normal position when seat is locked. There is resistance when pulling on the lever. When trying to insert the screw driver to lock out the mechanism I can feel movement of the mechanism against the tip, but there dosen’t seem to be suffient movement for the driver to fully engage and lock.
I presume the handle should be in the Up position so that the seat clamps descend fully so that they will allow the seat to slide . The screwdriver locks the mechanism in the fully extended position. It sounds as if something is preventing the mechanism extending to its maximum..
I would suggest leaning the bench back off the base. Pulling the handle and hopefully the screwdriver will lock the mechanism open.

Have you tried lifting the seat as you pull the handle up? I think you may have the full weight of the seat sitting on the clamps. Lift it up , pull the handle & put the screwdriver back in.

Thanks again Gents - good advice. 5 min this evening and the bench seat was back in.

Back