Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help!! Heating and fridge not working!,

Properjob

Properjob

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We arrived at a lovely site in Dorset for a couple of (probably stormy) nights and, having set up, tried switching the heating on but it won’t work. I’ve now discovered that the fridge hasn’t been on either! We’re chilly...

the control panel looks normal - all the right things are on and nothing is flashing
we‘re on mains hook-up
there‘s 3/4 tank of diesel

What I’ve done so far is:
checked the fuses under the passenger seat and under the gear stick according to Loz’s diagrams .. all ok
checked in the hidden menu for errors - nothing there
looked underneath van to see if there’s any sign of rodents - nothing obvious

Does anyone have any magic suggestions to help??
thanks in advance

I'm not all that in to electrics but probaly good to share what the display shows in voltage ,...
Is your mains security switch on in the rear warderobe ?
Try an other hook-up cable from fellow camper...
Have you tried things with the engine running ?
Are other things in the rear working : lights , 12v sockets?
Suppose you turned the controlpanel fully of and on again as you looked for errors on the hidden menu?
...the cube fuse on top of the rear lesure bat. difficult to get asces to doh !

Both I think cut off when battery voltage is low. I would check the trip switch in the rear cupboard above the gas bottle as if that's off then the hookup won't do anything at all as I understand it.

Just a thought, the colours on the breaker may not be 'logical'. Green is off and red is on, if I recall correctly.

I'm not all that in to electrics but probaly good to share what the display shows in voltage ,...
Is your mains security switch on in the rear warderobe ?
Try an other hook-up cable from fellow camper...
Have you tried things with the engine running ?
Are other things in the rear working : lights , 12v sockets?
Suppose you turned the controlpanel fully of and on again as you looked for errors on the hidden menu?
...the cube fuse on top of the rear lesure bat. difficult to get asces to doh !
Thank you HC .. tried all the things you suggested, power was on fine but that shouldnt make any difference ... it also doesn’t work when the electric is off....and you’ll see the control panel pic attached.
solution 1 was to go to a pub! ... now a chilly van!

Thank you HC .. tried all the things you suggested, power was on fine but that shouldnt make any difference ... it also doesn’t work when the electric is off....and you’ll see the control panel pic attached.
solution 1 was to go to a pub! ... now a chilly van!

Check Control Panel Diagnostics.
Control Panel Off and wait 30 secs
Control Panel On
Press and Hold R lower button and then press Control Knob for 5 secs.
New Hidden Menu . Scroll to VW Diagnostics.
If there are any codes shown, take note and then Reset/Clear.
Return to Main Menu.
Switch Off Control Panel using L lower button. Wait 30 secs and Switch On.
Try Roof/Heater or Fridge

For those of you who don't know, if you ever get any problems with roof stuck or any other error say with the heater or fridge, you are able to access the hidden menu in your control panel as used by the VW Engineers.
Access as follows:

1. Hold down the centre of the rotary button together with the menu button (button below with the squares on it)
2. You will get the hidden menu.
3. Rotate the rotary button to get to "VW diagnose" and select this by pressing on the centre of the rotary button.
4. If no errors are present it will display "no errors"
5. If Errors are present then a list of errors will appear
6. Press the centre of the rotary button again to delete all the errors
7. Repeat process above just to check that errors have dissapeared!
8. Re-configure the time and date if neccesary.

Any problems should be resolved assuming these are Electronic and not Mechanical.

Error Codes from Control Panel.

1 = 1 = Pop-up roof
2 = 2 = Plumbing Heating
3 = 3 = Cool box Cooler
4 = 4 = Sewage wastewater
5 = 5 = Fresh water
6 = 6 = Outside temperature
7 = 7 = Battery
Error Code Defect Fault
1010 1010 Short-circuit to (earth) roof
1001 1001 Fuse / short circuit to (plus+) roof
1100 1100 Short-circuit output Roof "on"
1101 1101 Fuse roof "to"
1110 1110 Short-circuit output Roof "to"
1111 1111 Fuse starting Roof "to"
2100 2100 Short-circuit output heating on / off
2101 2101 Fuse output heating on / off
2001 2001 Interrupt input heating 30
3100 3100 Short-circuit output coolbox
3101 3101 Fuse interrupt output coolbox
3001 3001-J698-cooler input error "Active"
3010 3010 Short-circuit input icebox "actual temperature"
3011 3011 Interrupt or fuse input icebox "actual temperature"
4000 4000 Short-circuit to ground water level sensor
4001 4001 Fuse circuit to plus water level sensor failure
5000 5000 Short-circuit to ground water level sensor
5001 5001 Short circuit to plus water level sensor failure
6000 6000 Short-circuit to ground temperature sensor or for outdoor temperature
6001 6001 Fuse / short circuit to plus two temperature sensors for outside temperature
7001 7001 interrupt input interrupt input D +

Just a thought, the colours on the breaker may not be 'logical'. Green is off and red is on, if I recall correctly.
Thank you Steve, power is on fine - and I know what you mean about the confusing red green thing! But either way the hook up shouldn’t make any difference as they should both work stand alone and usually do. The control panel seems to think everything is fine as neither symbol is flashing so something odd is happening beyond it...

thanks again..

So after a v cold night where the control panel said it was on but nothing happened (!) I switched off the heater then back on again this morning and low and behold it sparked up! I then did the same for the fridge and it too worked. Both are still on at the moment! Intermittent faults are the worst!

thanks for the suggestions

So after a v cold night where the control panel said it was on but nothing happened (!) I switched off the heater then back on again this morning and low and behold it sparked up! I then did the same for the fridge and it too worked. Both are still on at the moment! Intermittent faults are the worst!

thanks for the suggestions
Check as above if there are any Diagnostic Codes registered.

Thanks HC ..yes I tried that yesterday before messaging as I found one of your previous posts describing it.... unfortunately it says “no error”

Thanks HC ..yes I tried that yesterday before messaging as I found one of your previous posts describing it.... unfortunately it says “no error”
Worth repeating now that the Control Panel functions are working again.

Worth repeating now that the Control Panel functions are working again.
Yup did that earlier - no errors

that’s three intermittent we have: control panel, roof collapsing on one side, radio resetting. None ever repeats itself at the dealer - so annoying!

Correct. Theory being green is safe. As in off. And red for danger. As in on