Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help me please with travel insurance!

J

Jennydddd

VIP Member
We are off to France later this year for a month and I'm spending far too long dithering about travel insurance. We have roadside assistance as our Cali is 2 years old. We have 3k personal possessions under our Comfort insurance. So do I just get a bog standard travel insurance policy (obviously covering the extended period away)?

I'm just worried I'll forget something important. Any help please?

And if someone drives into your vehicle?

1. Medical Insurance + get you home.
2. Accident Insurance for you and those with you
3. Accident Insurance for Vehicle.
4. Although you still have VW Assistance, in France you will have to pay for repairs and claim back from VW UK on your return as the VW warranty is only 1 year in France.

Have a look at Red Pennant from the caravan club. It has always provided a good level of cover and they are well equipped to deal with all incidents.

Definately Agree. I used them on my 3 week road trip through Western Europe and Scandinavia. You also get a Discount card for Campsite fees. Virtually every campsite used that card to register me.

In France be prepared to pay in cash for medical treatment.

A couple of years ago I had my E111 and separate travel insurance but I still had to pay in cash for an overnight in hospital and they were chasing my wife the next day for her to pay for my +70 mph trip in the ambulance.

I think I claimed it all back in the end from my insurance when I got home but I remember that although in the hospital it said they accepted credit cards they want cash only from the foreigner !

Thank you all. I was looking at Red Pennant yesterday and they were quoting us around £150 whereas travel insurance from somewhere like Virgin works out at about £50. Will have another look

I was assuming that our normal Comfort van insurance covers us being hit by someone else.

It will for the actual repairs BUT you would have to arrange recovery to the Garage and if repair takes some time ? etc. Whereas good travel Insurance would arrange all this and recovery to UK after repair and allow you to continue your holiday etc: etc:. Your choice.

Jennydddd

Virgin £50 insurance will not cover you if you need your Cali transported to Garage or back to home.

I would go with CC Red Pennant Cover

Terry

I can't believe I didn't know about Red Pennant before I started this thread. Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction. Red Pennant cover has now been purchased!

Don't forget that if you are into any kind of outdoor activity then you may need rescue cover as well. Mountain rescue (including walking in the hills/mountains) is chargeable in France and is not cheap.
We use Snowcard which covers us for skiing, walking, mountain biking, scrambling and low grade climbing.

Back