Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help me understanding the roof

J

Jo_elektro

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Greetings,

3 months passed already since we bought our T5 ocean and enjoying it very much.
And we are about to leave on a 3 week tour of Norway .
But yesterday I noticed a damp spot in the left roof liner and a little at the wheel arch carpet.
Rooting around for the cause I found a split in the wind deflector mounted in front of the pop top.
Is this deflector just glued on top of the regular roof of the transporter or are there openings though which water could seep from the small crack into the interior?

DD3B66EE-6FB0-41B0-8B03-34D913A47F39.jpeg

It looks like its sitting lower than it should - however, even if water does get through that gap it should enter the rain gulley and run out still, as it would if you roof was elevated.
Maybe check that your drain channels aren't blocked. This could be the problem.

Guess you got it 2nd hand , and probally has got the roof corrosion repair done previously by the first owner . Looks like the new spoiler is coming loose , the kit has a gap so to see letting water in .
Have it checked by VW , take more pics and fill the gap with new kit to stop water going in if you about to leave on a trip . Guessing VW will not repair this asap as it needs investigation/warrenty .

Thanks for the reply. I guess it is pretty obvious that a crack in the roof has to do with the leak inside but I can’t understand how this plastic deflector isn’t waterproof.
I’ll stuff it once it has dried up.

Check the drain holes with the roof up, if they are blocked it may be causing the problem.

Exactly the same thing happened to mine I resealed it using windscreen sealer in a tube problem solved do it before you have too much water damage

If the cap is split then you will definitely get water inside the roof space. Get it checked by a dealer but a temporary DIY repair can be done with silicon sealer. Make sure you tell the dealer you are doing a repair and get them to agree and note it.

If the cap is split then you will definitely get water inside the roof space. Get it checked by a dealer but a temporary DIY repair can be done with silicon sealer. Make sure you tell the dealer you are doing a repair and get them to agree and note it.
I would use windscreen sealer or silkaflex for a temporary repair not Silicon. If it goes into a body shop Silicon is not welcome.

Back