Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help please, away for first time and can't get gas to work!

Cemswood

Cemswood

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Away at a campsite in Yorks, it's the first time for me and my 11 year old and I've put gas bottle in, connected regulator and think I've turned it on but there's no gas coming through. Starving!!

Have you switched on the Gas stopcock in the top of the L hand kitchen cupboard, L side?

Disconnect the supply pipe from the bottle. Open the valve on the bottle slightly. There should be gas escaping or you have an empty bottle.

Reconnect valve to van,

Check as WG suggested, stop cock underneath the rings. Should be full on.

now gas should come out of the rings when turned on.

There also is a (red)safetybutton on the safetyvalve on the botlle itself.....at least on mine it is

Also handy if you take your manual and try some stuff out "before" leaving to a campsite....

Yes thank you I would have if I'd had time. Thanks for the help folks it's now working. I think I may have done something wrong when filling the water though. I only put a bit in at a garage and it's not showing on the indicator and nothing in the tap. Was I supposed to move the red lever next to the gas bottle first? Thanks to people who are patiently replying. I realise it would have been better if I'd had time to try it out first.

Yes thank you I would have if I'd had time. Thanks for the help folks it's now working. I think I may have done something wrong when filling the water though. I only put a bit in at a garage and it's not showing on the indicator and nothing in the tap. Was I supposed to move the red lever next to the gas bottle first? Thanks to people who are patiently replying. I realise it would have been better if I'd had time to try it out first.
That red tap opens and closes the water tank drain.

If the red lever was in open position the water would have been running out underneeth....
The controlpanel indicator for the watertanks ( fresh and waiste ) are not accurate ....
If you fill the fresh water just keep adding until it poors out from above making sure it is full.

Are you sure the tap is working .....

Better start all over....first we need to know......is your Cali new or 2nd hand?

If the red lever was in open position the water would have been running out underneeth.... The controlpanel indicator for the watertanks ( fresh and waiste ) are not accurate .... If you fill the fresh water just keep adding until it poors out from above making sure it is full. Are you sure the tap is working ..... Better start all over....first we need to know......is your Cali new or 2nd hand?

If the red lever was in open position the water would have been running out underneeth.... The controlpanel indicator for the watertanks ( fresh and waiste ) are not accurate .... If you fill the fresh water just keep adding until it poors out from above making sure it is full. Are you sure the tap is working ..... Better start all over....first we need to know......is your Cali new or 2nd hand?
Away at a campsite in Yorks, it's the first time for me and my 11 year old and I've put gas bottle in, connected regulator and think I've turned it on but there's no gas coming through. Starving!!

As welsh gas said there is also a gas tap in the cupboard immediately under the cooker as well as the one on the bottle.

It's a brand new t5.
I've had her three weeks. I'm a bit confused about the water, filling up and waste. The manual isn't the greatest and I'm not very tech minded but trying to learn, and determined to do it myself. So if people don't mind explaining it in fairly simple language whilst gritting their teeth and thinking 'why doesn't she read the manual or prepare better' I would really appreciate it

It's a brand new t5.
I've had her three weeks. I'm a bit confused about the water, filling up and waste. The manual isn't the greatest and I'm not very tech minded but trying to learn, and determined to do it myself. So if people don't mind explaining it in fairly simple language whilst gritting their teeth and thinking 'why doesn't she read the manual or prepare better' I would really appreciate it

I'm not gritting my teeth :D

You are not the only one to have been there.

Water - Fresh: The filler outside next to the electrical plug socket. Depends what you want to use the water for. I don't use it for drinking so not fussed about plonking a hose pipe in and letting it run until "one's cup floweth over". Then get cap on. The indicator should show full.

On top of the gas bottle compartment there is a red lever. Open it one way and see if you get your feet wet. If you do then the drain is open so shove it the other way and the drain is closed. Simple test! If you try and fill the water tank up with the drain tap open then you will be there for a very long time and end up with very soggy feet.

Waste: Get on your knees, and if you don't have a carpet put a cushion down to prevent knobbly floor hurting knees, put your head in the LH kitchen cupboard, look for a hole on the bottom left hand side and you will see a red lever in there. Lever towards you and all your waste is tipping out of your tank. Close it and it's not. I usually use a campsite drain manhole to empty or just drive over a roadside drain and empty it there.

I'm a bit confused about the water, filling up and waste
The water tank takes a lot of water before it registers on the display panel. The tap will take a moment to "prime" itself and get the water flowing.
As said by others in the cupboard under the hob left hand side there is a gas tap on/off, also a waste water tank valve for if you want to drain your waste water tank, get to know the open/closed positions for these.
The fresh water tank valve is in the rear cupboard near the gas bottle, same again open it to drain the fresh tank. Both water tanks drain from under the van near the rear nearside wheel.
Have you got electric hookup sorted?

Beat me to it Jen :thumb

Last edited:
Thank you both that is really helpful. Will try that tomorrow. I don't think there's any water in it, either that or I just didn't put enough in. I hadn't moved the lever so I wonder if it's default position is open, which seems a bit strange. I'll check tomorrow, we've got bottled water for tonight. I haven't tried the hook up yet, that's for Wednesday. We're having a road trip from Northumberland to Huddersfield, cheating by staying in a hotel in Liverpool then Cornwall then back to Northumberland.

Thank you both that is really helpful. Will try that tomorrow. I don't think there's any water in it, either that or I just didn't put enough in. I hadn't moved the lever so I wonder if it's default position is open, which seems a bit strange. I'll check tomorrow, we've got bottled water for tonight. I haven't tried the hook up yet, that's for Wednesday. We're having a road trip from Northumberland to Huddersfield, cheating by staying in a hotel in Liverpool then Cornwall then back to Northumberland.
Just remember to turn the gas bottle off at the bottle when you set off so there is no chance of a leak in transit.