Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help please for usb on kenwood DNX521DAB

sue.h

sue.h

VIP Member
Please can anyone help.
We have just bought A kenwood DNX521DAB and we paid extra to have an ipod cable fitted, and this is in the glove box.
BUT where is my USB connection.
You cant upgrade software, upgrade maps, instal poi,s or install speed cameras without the usb

Should the ipod cable be a dual ended ipod/ usb ?

Is there a cable that the dealer should have pulled through.?

After paying to have it pofessionally fitted, we dont want to start messing unless we have some info to go on.

Thanks
Sue

Hi sue I don't have this stereo but looking online it appears to show a cable with the USB
Connection so your's may be missing :headbang

This is different to the older Kenwood I have in my Beach -- connection in the glovebox as opposed to the front.

There are several owners of the new Kenwood unit here and Alex at SMG should be able to help. I'm just replying to bump this up so that someone who can help sees this.

:)

James

The iPod cable has the dock connector on one end and a USB plug and mini jack on the other. The mini jack plugs in one of the aux sockets on the back of the kenwood and the USB plug plugs into a USB socket that's on a trailing cable that's hard wired directly into the back of the kenwood. In other words, adding the iPod cable means you don't have the USB socket available any more. I was concerned about this, so when I fitted my own iPod cable, I pulled the USB cable through into the glovebox first, so that I can unplug the iPod cable when I need access to the USB socket.

I'm pretty disappointed with the iPod cable, to be honest. It seems to make a very poor connection with my iphone. It works, but going over a bump is enough to wobble the cable and lose the connection at the iPhone end. Do you find the same?

Hope this helps! For what it's worth, it's relatively easy to get access to the back of the kenwood by taking the trim off the dashboard as long as you've got the right kind of torx screwdriver. There's a guide in the members section of this forum.

Cheers,
Simon

Hi
cant thank you enough for that info

BUT wouldnt you think, when i had it fitted professionally, they would have thought to do that.

ps havent use the ipod yet whilst travelling but will check and let you know

:thanks

:D
john.h pulled out the glove box which was easy with a torx bit

there he found the missing USB, so thanks again

sue.h

Good to hear you've got at the USB! Do let us know if you have a go at using the iPod connector and if it has the same issues mine does. I'm wondering if there are different brands of connector cable, or if mine has a fault to make it so temperamental.

Cheers,
Si

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

DoubleWah said:
The iPod cable has the dock connector on one end and a USB plug and mini jack on the other.

I'm pretty disappointed with the iPod cable, to be honest. It seems to make a very poor connection with my iphone. It works, but going over a bump is enough to wobble the cable and lose the connection at the iPhone end. Do you find the same?

Simon

Just a point about the iPod connector. They are proned to contamination from fluff etc which makes the connection unreliable. Take a look into the socket, if there is anything in there weedle it out with a pin. Take care bout to damage the socket.

Have Fun
Bob

Update on ipod connection. Ours has a cover that slips off to connect device, and so, keeps it clean. Didnt have any connection problems.

On a seperate issue, we are not too happy with the kenwood.
The satnav crashes , of course when most needed, and has to be rebooted.
The display is dazzled by the sun, and we had to rig up a piece of card to shade it.
The maps are hopelessly out of date and we checked for updates and it said they were up to date. We drove on spanish and english roads over three years old that the satnav didnt recognise.
Not the best use of a hard earned £1100

sue.h said:
Update on ipod connection. Ours has a cover that slips off to connect device, and so, keeps it clean. Didnt have any connection problems.

On a seperate issue, we are not too happy with the kenwood.
The satnav crashes , of course when most needed, and has to be rebooted.
The display is dazzled by the sun, and we had to rig up a piece of card to shade it.
The maps are hopelessly out of date and we checked for updates and it said they were up to date. We drove on spanish and english roads over three years old that the satnav didnt recognise.
Not the best use of a hard earned £1100

Am I correct in believing this uses Garmin satnav software ? If so I have 1 year old european maps on my garmin unit that are pretty much upto date for UK. Garmin normally release map updates quite regularly. Maybe that they are not so regular for kenwood units.

Hi
we have had no problem with ipod or ipad. just a thought, did you have a cover on. if so it may affect the connection. we use ours without the cover.

DoubleWah said:
The iPod cable has the dock connector on one end and a USB plug and mini jack on the other. The mini jack plugs in one of the aux sockets on the back of the kenwood and the USB plug plugs into a USB socket that's on a trailing cable that's hard wired directly into the back of the kenwood. In other words, adding the iPod cable means you don't have the USB socket available any more. I was concerned about this, so when I fitted my own iPod cable, I pulled the USB cable through into the glovebox first, so that I can unplug the iPod cable when I need access to the USB socket.

Hope this helps! For what it's worth, it's relatively easy to get access to the back of the kenwood by taking the trim off the dashboard as long as you've got the right kind of torx screwdriver. There's a guide in the members section of this forum.

Cheers,
Simon

Hi, I've bought a van that came with this unit. Whenever I select go home, it directs me back to previous owners address... Have tried resorting to factory settings, but the address remains in the memory. Has anyone overcome this? Online manual doesn't mention how to do it. Thanks.

Back